Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light
    Posted: January/31/2017 at 7:48am
I was at the VA a few days ago, conducting some business, and happened to meet with a staff member who, on seeing my ring and passing a few cautious remarks, engaged me in an interesting discussion of our individual travels. One of the topics we covered was his experience, as a PHA Mason, of "covering your Light" and "taking someone's Light". Now, these practices are not - I think - employed by "mainstream" Masonry as it exists today; I wonder, though, if anything like this has ever been done in the past. Any Masonic historians out there who could shed a bit of light on this subject?
"Si apis, sis apis."

BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2017 at 2:36pm
There are lots of topics on this board regarding this subject unless one of the last downtime events wiped it. Most of the private forums were lost for some reason.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2017 at 3:22pm
I looked at one previous thread from 2013 where the topic was discussed but no definitive information was given as to whether this practice ever took place outside of PHA, which is what I think the OP is asking.

Not directly related to the topic but I know I made a comment in the previous thread that if anyone, PHA or otherwise, were thinking of engaging in this practice, they could be subjecting themselves to assault and robbery charges. As distasteful as it is to us for someone to parade around as a fake Mason, we don't have the right to forcibly take someone's property from them.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2017 at 7:19pm
Having begun my travels in Florida as a "PHA" Freemason, and continuing them "mainstream" when I returned to Maine from active duty; I can attest that the interactions you are referring to are very common among PHA, and I have never encountered any such thing within mainstream.  I introduced the practice to some mainstream brothers with many traveling years behind them and they had never heard of such a thing.  Among PHA (at least in the south where I was) it is part of the catechism you are given once you are raised.  
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2017 at 8:21pm
I think this is part of a "frat attitude" that has been incorporated into (southern ???) PHA since the 70's or 80's.  
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2017 at 1:16am
From my understanding of it the practice, when done correctly, is supposed to motivate new MM's learn. I'm sure if that is the case it has been morphed into "gotcha moments".
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
MarkMaster View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2017 at 7:21am
I did not think that this was a general practice among "mainstream" Freemasonry. The way it was described to me sounded very much like one of the ways in which the Gate could be guarded (Light taken was given to the WM of the Brother's Lodge and could be reclaimed by examination), but I see how this could degenerate into a more unpleasant scenario. Thanks for the info!
"Si apis, sis apis."

jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2017 at 9:24am
I'm not interested in playing games, and if someone decided to challenge me, I would walk away.  When I first started making noise about wanting to join our Craft, I was looking for a Prince Hall lodge because, being black, that's what I thought I was supposed to do.

Now this practice makes me glad I didn't, because I consider challenging someone and taking their personal property to be unMasonic activity...   and I don't do well with bullies. 
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2017 at 7:34am
I can see how the practice could be easy to abuse. What about the "hiding the Light" practice, though? I am still unclear on that ... is it the practice of not wearing your ring in public (saving it for Masonic exercises)? or something different?
"Si apis, sis apis."

jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2017 at 1:46pm
I'm not clear on that either, but I do have PHA friends I can ask.
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2017 at 2:19pm
I would be interested to learn about it. Look forward to your next posting.
"Si apis, sis apis."

Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2017 at 5:45pm
I have very little experience with PHA.  However, here in the Midwest, I have met many MM who have told me that they hide their light when out in public for fear of repercussions and negative comments.

They refuse to put the SQ and Compass on their cars, they turn their rings under and will not wear hats or shirts showing their Lodge affiliation.

I am not one of those people.  I wear what I want and have it on my cars as well.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2017 at 7:48am
Wow! It's hard to imagine a scenario where that kind of reaction to our Craft could occur .... perhaps I have been sheltered, but I have never encountered anyone who expressed anything worse than a mild disinterest or inoffensive ignorance about my ring or other markers -- even when I was a communicant Catholic (it's an ex-wife story). My bumper sticker usually starts a pretty positive conversation rather than a confrontation ...

"Si apis, sis apis."

droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2017 at 9:23am
I am also surprised that in the mid-west, Masons would be hesitant to publicly display symbols of the Craft. I would have expected that here in the "People's Republic of New England," but in the mid-west, it just surprises me.

I wear a ring; the only reason I wear it is that it was given to me by my/sponsor/mentor/adopted father after he died. I wear it as a memorial to him and to remind me that I am a Mason, not to let the world know that I am. I don't go out of my way to display my Masonic affiliation and I don't try to hide it either. I have nothing against those who have car emblems and such but I think it can go too far, like a late DDGM in this area who had about 6 ornaments on his trunk, from blue lodge to just about every affiliated body, the same amount of hats on his rear window sill, all with the same symbols as on the trunk, and a vanity plate that read "PDDGM." That was a bit much in my opinion.

I have had some negative experiences with people noticing my ring. A lot of the kids in the school I worked at thought I was in the Illuminati. There is some rapper out there who is big on that and the kids are getting it from him. There was the daughter-in-law of one of my close friends however who noticed it and said disparagingly, "Oh, your one of those..." She is college educated and should have known better.

Edited by droche - February/16/2017 at 9:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic