Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Way too quiet here, lets talk.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Way too quiet here, lets talk.
    Posted: April/06/2017 at 6:26am
Since you have been a Mason, or perhaps as early as De Molay,  has this group affected your life, your character etc.

Are you a better person for belonging.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313
DDGM Dist. 24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 7:20am
Yes, I feel as though I am a better person for belonging.  It is said that we take good men and make them better, I feel that I was one of those good men who was made better.  The honor of being installed and then serving as WM of my lodge was something I shall never forget.  Prior to my installation, I had visited some lodges in Ontario, Canada during the summer month while on vacation there.  Five brethren from one of the lodges I had visited drove nearly 7 hours to be there for my installation.  Brethren from my lodge were quite surprised and impressed by their presence.  I have met so many people through Masonry, it is just unbelievable.  It is always a thrill when someone you don't know, sees your ring or a pin you are wearing and says hello to you.  I am sure that others who frequent this forum have a story to tell about their Masonic experiences.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2017 at 8:02am

snip

Five brethren from one of the lodges I had visited drove nearly 7 hours to be there for my installation. 

Snip

Interesting thing about that. I have noted that our Brothers from the British Commonwealth countries (particularly Canada and Australia) seem to think nothing of going hundreds, even thousands, of miles just on a visit or vacation.

Seems to translate to the whole population. My first wife is Australian; she’s back in Oz now and thinks nothing of coming to California and the Mid-west every couple years to visit the Grandkid and assorted old friends.

I have all I can do to get interested in going past the Brevard County line.

Bob Chadwick

Palm Bay #397

Palm Bay, FL

Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2017 at 6:49pm
You're right rchadwic.  I have found that the Canadians do travel and visit other lodges much more than brethren here in the U.S. do.  I always receive a very warm welcome when visiting them.  We are very fortunate to have them as our northern neighbors. 
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2017 at 10:24pm
I know that I am better than I was before I joined.

I have grown, progressed and improved in many facets of my life.  I sincerely wish I had joined earlier in my life.  As I adhere very closely to the tenants and principles of Masonry  and use them in my daily life,
had I joined years ago, I wonder how my life would be different now.

I am glad to be among the brotherhood.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313
DDGM Dist. 24
Lodge Education Officer
O.E.S. Chapter 129
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Sec'yBob Sec'yBob wrote:

I know that I am better than I was before I joined.

I have grown, progressed and improved in many facets of my life.  I sincerely wish I had joined earlier in my life.  As I adhere very closely to the tenants and principles of Masonry  and use them in my daily life,
had I joined years ago, I wonder how my life would be different now.

I am glad to be among the brotherhood.
I was going to post something along these lines.

Masonry doesn't make you a better person per say. Every good person grows in life to be a better person. Masonry just gives you the tools to get that process kick-started and to get to a point that is further than where you would have wound up if you did not join.

I hope that makes sense. At least, that is how it affected my life. I feel like I'm leaps and bounds further along than I would have been had I not joined.
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2017 at 9:32pm
Well, this gets a little personal but...

As a youngster, I wasn't really a delinquent, I was, let's say, a little mischievous. I never did anything bad enough to be arrested, but I did some things I regretted. Eventually I found that I felt a lot better by being "good" than being "bad." I found that much of it was because I hung around with many "idiots."

I lost my father at the age of nine and didn't have that many male role models but a lot of men in the church I went to were Masons and I found them to be good people. I realized that it was people like these I needed to associate with and told my mother that some day i would like to be a Mason. She then told me that my grandfather (her father) and most of his eight brothers were Masons. That clinched it.

So, as I've been on my Masonic Journey, I can well see what is meant by making good men better. It has also reinforced to me that associating with good people just strengthens me in remaining "good." Not every Mason I've come across would I consider a "good man," but the good have far outnumbered the bad and makes it easier for me in a tough world, if you catch my drift.
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2017 at 4:12am
Has anyone else had a hard time accessing the site?
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2017 at 8:32am
I haven't, been working great for me.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313
DDGM Dist. 24
Lodge Education Officer
O.E.S. Chapter 129
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagle-751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2017 at 3:48pm
No issues at all.
What kind of issue accessing the site are you having?
Past Master ( 2014 - 2015 )
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic