Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saluting the flag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saluting the flag
    Posted: May/26/2017 at 5:00pm
I visited in a local Lodge last week and had an interesting experience/discussion ... in this Lodge, both the American and Christian flags are saluted and pledged to as a regular practice. It seems, however, that an out-of-town visitor, a Jewish brother, sat in that Lodge a few weeks ago and had concerns about saluting the Christian flag in a Lodge setting. My understanding (I was not there when he visited) is that he did not address this in open Lodge, but quietly took the Senior warden aside after Lodge and asked him about the practice.

The discussion was lively!

Since last week, I contacted our Grand Lodge and discovered that no edict or regulation exists regarding the salutation of either the American or Christian flag; the practice is left to the discretion of the sitting WM.  I also called a few Brothers in some of our area Lodges and found that some salute the American  flag, some do not, and none salute the Christian flag in Lodge.

Interesting.
"Si apis, sis apis."

WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 7:16am
I will be 60 years old next Tuesday (5/30) and am Jewish. Please forgive my ignorance, but I have never heard of a "Christian Flag". We have the good ole' Stars & Stripes in our lodge and we always open our meetings with the Pledge of Allegiance. "Civilians" cover their heart with their right hand and military, current and retired, usually salute.
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
DDGM - 25th Masonic District
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 7:37am

Here’s a Christian flag. We have one in our Lodge, behind the WM and to his left as seated (American flag on his right). We pledge allegiance to the American flag; I have never heard of pledging allegiance to the Christian flag. I’d expect that to do so would be a bit insensitive to our non-Christian Brothers.

Salute is carried out same as WBScott states. I note that our lone Canadian Brother also recites the pledge and salutes.

Admin note: fixed image link. edwmax

Edited by edwmax - May/28/2017 at 12:25pm
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 8:16am
I also have never heard of a Christian flag.

We salute the Red , White, and Blue and proudly at that.  There are no other flags in our Lodge room.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313
DDGM Dist. 24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129
MarkMaster View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 4:05pm
The pledge was posted next to the flag but I gathered that it is something commonly done in some churches. Does not fit with what I understand Freemasonry to be about, but I was a visitor, so my thoughts were kept to myself. My own Lodge salutes the American flag under some WMs, but not others .... their year, their call.

"Si apis, sis apis."

edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 6:05am
I've never seen this flag in the Lodges that I have visited.
"Until you realize that your viewpoint is incomplete and that's '_' viewpoint is complete, only then can you become teachable in the Mysteries of '_'."

Thomasville 369
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 12:35pm
It definitely seems, from the responses I have gathered from various sources, to be an idiosyncratic practice. My understanding of our Craft is that it acknowledges all monotheistic approaches to Deity, sincerely practiced, but preferences none.
"Si apis, sis apis."

droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2017 at 1:26am
I am a Christian and have never heard of a pledge of allegiance to a Christian flag. Be that as it may, Freemasonry welcomes people of all sects and religions. To single out a certain religion to pledge allegiance
would seem to violate that tenet, and while perhaps well intentioned, seems to be misguided. I run the risk of being labeled anti-Christian but that is absolutely not the case. Discussion of religion and politics is strictly prohibited in Masonic lodges, and while pledging allegiance may not fit that exactly, it seems to me that such a practice would as a minimum violate that tenet.

An exception might be the Commandery, where that body is clearly Christian, but this seems to have taken place in a Blue Lodge.
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 1:37pm
I could not agree more heartily. It does seem to counteract the philosophy of our Fraternity, but it is evidently a local practice and one which, now that attention has been drawn to it, has been questioned and discussed. My friend who belongs to that Lodge has told me that the next WM - if elected - plans to eliminate the salutation during his year. Interesting things to be learned while traveling, for sure ....
"Si apis, sis apis."

edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 5:02pm
That would be good  .... BUT ...  If that Lodge is in a 'strong Bible Belt' area your friend will have trouble.    ... So I suggest he should only proceed with caution, education of the members, and advice of close Lodge Brothers. 
"Until you realize that your viewpoint is incomplete and that's '_' viewpoint is complete, only then can you become teachable in the Mysteries of '_'."

Thomasville 369
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2017 at 6:26pm
I meant to say, "As a minimum, violate the spirit of that tenet."

Edited by droche - June/06/2017 at 6:27pm
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2017 at 8:46pm
The Christian flag is present in the Chapter Room at my OES chapter, but we don't salute it or pledge anything to it.
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic