Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tolerance Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tolerance Revisited
    Posted: September/01/2018 at 10:56am

I’m posting something here that may go against the accepted grain of some Mason’s entrenched beliefs.
Tolerance is no more a virtue than Intolerance is a vice. Moreover, the opposite is true, too. Neither are a vice nor virtue in and of themselves.
Let me elaborate just a bit: By their nature, Virtues strengthen and support and Vices weaken and burden. Neither Tolerance nor Intolerance does either of these.

Therefore, you may query as to what “Tolerance” is and you would ask for good reason. So much of what Masons hear about it is lauded over the purpose it exists and to the point where it is truly unreasonably applied.

To hear Masons speak of Tolerance, one might assume that there are only two possibilities:
Intolerance --- Tolerance

...where “Tolerance” is an expected mode of behavior, specifically toward the religious beliefs of others and any “Intolerance” should not be “Tolerated.”

However, we all know that there are many more possibilities under the heavens than these two behavioral choices. Let me expand upon this further.

Tolerance is one of four words used to denote expressions or behaviors that occur when people are faced with something in which they must deal.

Continue reading here: http://buildinghiram.blogspot.com/2010/09/tolerance-revisited.html
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2018 at 10:45pm
Coming from a Quaker background (Quakers are or were known for their high levels of tolerance), and having some leanings toward the libertarian point of view, I have often thought about tolerance. Years ago, an old line Quaker said at a meeting I attended, "Tolerance does not mean acceptance." That made sense to me.

This continuum you speak of, it seems to me that in Masonry, in the First Degree, we are taught tolerance, yet, in the Third Degree, there are a number of behaviors we are taught to reject- to not tolerate. In a sense, in FM, the continuum is the reverse of what you posted. It starts with tolerance, then ends with rejection of sorts. It makes no difference, just an interesting observation.

I think conflicts arise in FM due to the fact that everyone's tolerance/acceptance/rejection levels are different. Examples are gays in Masonry: some feel they should be excluded on moral grounds(rejection); others do not agree with the lifestyle, but see nothing in the rituals or landmarks to specifically exclude them (tolerance); while others believe there is no question that they should be freely admitted and are offended that the subject is even discussed (acceptance). I also ran into a Mason in his 80's- his entire family and extended family were Masons, but he felt that one of his great nephews should have been expelled because he was living with an unmarried woman; he felt that was a violation the the OB. Not too many agreed that things should have gone that far.

So, I don't know the point you are trying to make but this is my initial thoughts on your blog.
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2018 at 6:49am
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

So, I don't know the point you are trying to make but this is my initial thoughts on your blog.

Thanks.  The only point: so much "Craft" energy is put into expressing toleration that the other three options are never discussed; they should be discussed as viable options when appropriate.

droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2018 at 9:35am
I see your point. So I guess with me, I always try to keep in mind that tolerance does not mean acceptance, so I try to keep an open mind about divergent views, but the question for Masons is, where does "tolerance" cross a line and become something that needs to be rejected? This is going to be different for every individual situation and create many different points of view.
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2018 at 11:07am

... where does "tolerance" cross a line and become something that needs to be rejected?
When that which is offered is unacceptable to the point where action must be taken to assure its influence is no longer felt (or at least minimized through resistance).

Edited by coach - September/02/2018 at 11:07am

droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2018 at 1:56pm
In Freemasonry, how is consensus reached as to where the point is that something is unacceptable? i know what you are saying,  the problem I see, in an organization that welcomes men of every country, sect, and opinion, this is going to be difficult to achieve. I guess it's ultimately up to the Grand Master of each jurisdiction. Witness decisions by the Grand Masters of different jurisdictions in recent years and their repercussions. I suppose they can always be overruled by their grand lodges at large, but still, many of their decisions at least shake the columns supporting our edifices, so to speak. 
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2018 at 4:46pm

In Freemasonry, how is consensus reached as to where the point is that something is unacceptable? i know what you are saying,  the problem I see, in an organization that welcomes men of every country, sect, and opinion, this is going to be difficult to achieve. I guess it's ultimately up to the Grand Master of each jurisdiction. Witness decisions by the Grand Masters of different jurisdictions in recent years and their repercussions. I suppose they can always be overruled by their grand lodges at large, but still, many of their decisions at least shake the columns supporting our edifices, so to speak. 

A few years back, Florida GL had to deal with a GM that pushed his religious views upon the entire state.  The GL pushed back and most of the GL tolerated his edict until he left, then they rejected it.  There were a few who rejected the Craft and left before that occurred.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic