Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ladies Organizations & Youth Organizations > O.E.S. Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Investigation Committee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Investigation Committee
    Posted: March/04/2020 at 8:36am
Has the investigating of candidates truly become merely a formality?  I've been pushed into being the chair of this committee, and they're trying to rush it through without a formal, thorough investigation of the candidate....   
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2020 at 6:20pm
Many Lodge members do not know a Candidate at the time of partitioning for the Degrees.   It is on the recommendation of the Sponsors/Recommenders the Candidate is being considered.    It is the Investigating Committee's job to verify the Partition and that of the Recommenders.

The Investigating Committee should first Interview the Partition Recommenders as to how long they have known the Candidate; why they believe the Candidate would make a good Master mason & member of the lodge; and if they know of any disqualifying attributes of the Candidate (criminal record; abusive home life; habitual drunkenness; ect)   There are some Master
Masons that will sign a Partition rather than say NO to avoid ill feelings with the Candidate or other family members (i cant really blame the Recommender but he should tell this the Committee in confidence).

Now the Committee should interview the Candidate in his home and with his wife present, if married.    Ask what he knows about Freemasonry; why or his motivations to join; If his wife is in support; ect   ...

I once interviewed a Candidate who did not know anything about Freemasonry;  he had no family members that were Freemasons;  he simple was partitioning because he had a buddy that was also partitioning for the Degrees.      In view this person had no real interest in being a Freemason and would be a future 'dropout' and a waste of our time to coach.

Another time a few years ago,   A Candidate was being Initiated and while being conducted around the Lodge I saw he had Nazi SS-Lighting Bolts tats on his upper arm which stand for everything Freemasonry is not.   This was also seen by several other veteran members... I regret not speaking up that night and stopping the EA degree.   But I did say something the DDGM (who was present) and he reported it to the GM.   That EA never advanced or returned to the Lodge.    ... This was a failure of an Investigating Committee to have given good report.

Many Members serving on the Investigating Committee do not know how to conduct an interview or what questions to ask.     As Chairman see that your Committee member receive training.  I also feel this Committee should be overseen directly by the WM and report directly to him.

Edited by edwmax - March/04/2020 at 6:21pm
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2020 at 6:47am
I would be wary of anyone trying to "push" through a petition.

They may have an agenda. Why are they doing it?

Like said above, investigate, talk, interview and find out what makes your candidate tick. Then move from there.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2020 at 3:18pm
At the time I wrote the above post i didn't realize this was the OES forum.    ... However the investigations should still be the same and the Committee needs training.

Thomasville 369
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2020 at 7:35pm
I'm the CHAIR of the committee, and it's OES, the women are basically saying "oh, she was recommended by a PGM and PGP, so just interview her at a restaurant after work  and let it go through"....

J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2020 at 8:05pm
Then the Investigating Committee can correctly do their job; ask all the right questions; and not expect to find any thing negative about the candidate.    ...  But there could be the 1 in 1000 if the PGM or PGP didn't know the candidate as well as they thought.    ... There is no reason the Committee shouldn't do their job correctly.

Thomasville 369
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic