Forum Home Forum Home > PHA > Prince Hall Affiliated
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tylers sword

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman
Frosty The Snowman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frostman07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tylers sword
    Posted: April/02/2007 at 4:53am
what is walking the sword
Michael White
sons of light #77
Fairmont 92 MWPHGLMD

stonecutter View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonecutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2007 at 8:08am
Whoever moved this post here, please contact me privately by PM.

upstateconnect View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upstateconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2007 at 7:10pm
  I dont  who move this post here but I want to know the same thing but do not give this info to no one if you know the answer we have a ninth district coming on the 14th Ill will be taught then, if you are not taught this in the lodge I dont think they should learn this here.
MW Stringer Grand Lodge Jurisdiction of Mississippi-Prince Hall Affiliated

J.I. Martin Lodge No.#701       Worshipful Master
PRUDENCE View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRUDENCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 2:08pm

It is done like this...

One the real though...upstate is correct.

Peace.

Edited by PRUDENCE - April/03/2007 at 2:10pm
All Lies die..when Truth is Told.

Peace
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upstateconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 5:20pm
      Greetings, I'm in the Ninth District within my Jurisdiction and I myself want to learn this as well, I am suppose to get my Past Masters Degree and Learn How to walk the Tyler's Sword, but I ve been told once you learn this there is no Lodge(but Im sure there are some) that can deny you entrance, Thats why I feel a Forum like this Tyled or no Tyled is not the place for such instruction, I know I already stated this but I wanted to let everybody know about the Past Masters Degree and Ill be petioning the RA in October.

Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2007 at 2:01am

Well as you stated there are some Lodges that deny entrance for not knowing this.  For that simple fact I believe that even though is is mainly a PHA thing, I think that everyone that enjoys visiting Lodges should know how to do it. Because you never know.  I was in this situation before, but luckly a brother vouched for me as I was leaving. (He arrived a little late)

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upstateconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 7:37pm
   See, I didnt know that and I wasnt sure if it was a PHA thing or mainstream did it as well, maybe Ill ask my friend PM if he has heard of such a thing.

watchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2007 at 1:13pm
Frostman07,
"Walking the Tyler's Sword", as I was instructed, was one of the tactics that was developed by PHA Masons to detect the growing numbers of bogus men calling themselves Masons, trying to enter our lodges. The jist of it is an oath requested by the tyler or an examining committee to a stranger who desired entrance into a lodge. Normally it was given in the anteroom or at the altar (before the lodge is opened). The catch is the method of giving the oath, the floorwork. Which originally was simple but evolved into sometimes very elaborate floorwork. It didn't take long before these bogus groups learned and began using it. PHA lodges started varying the methods of "Walking.....", that soon there were so many variations that essentially it became useless. But there are still some lodges, as you found out, that use their form of it. Now many, if not all, jurisdictions use some type of Tyler's Oath which is similiar to "Walking...", in language but have eliminated the floorwork.
Mario Neptune PM

Raleigh, NC

Golden Link #205 PHA

Smithfield, NC

MWPHGL of NC

Live respected...Die regretted
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upstateconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 4:59pm
 I didn't want to revive this topic, but I have finally learned how to "Walk the Tyler's Sword". It is interesting, there are many variations depending on how the sword is presented to you. The jest of it is the "Tyler's Oath" which is no secret, but the floor work is indeed something all together different.  

Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 7:14pm
Did you cut yourself?Tongue

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
BoatCaptain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoatCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 1:02pm
Bro. Flo-- I had the same question.  Big%20smile

Rocky Mountain No.1 F&AM(PHA)
Mountain & Plains No.33 AASR
Syrian No.49 AEAONMS
Jedi Stranger View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jedi Stranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 7:52am

I thought I knew how to "walk the sword", but now I'm not so sure.  Could someone PM me the scene and scenrio. Once Upstate said "the way the sword is presented" I got cloudy.

MWPHGL Of LA. Acacia #248
RA Chapter Gesthemane #3
N.O. Council #1 (Cryptic)
Pelican Commandary Jericho #5

Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A
Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 5:59pm
I would recommend you to ask some older member of the craft.  That is where I learned it from.

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upstateconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Flotown79 Flotown79 wrote:

Did you cut yourself?Tongue
Now that is funny, lol..........................

Edited by upstateconnect - January/30/2009 at 12:21am

outkast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outkast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 2:56pm
There are numerous variations to Walking the Tyler's Sword and I highly recommend you ask your local lodge members, ie. Lecturer and/or Tyler, how this is performed and stick to that version.
Mount Ogden #20 F&AM (PHA)
Ben Lomand Consistory #94
Labbayk Temple #218
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.
Jedi Stranger View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jedi Stranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 8:57am
I have asked I got different versions.  Now I asking here
MWPHGL Of LA. Acacia #248
RA Chapter Gesthemane #3
N.O. Council #1 (Cryptic)
Pelican Commandary Jericho #5

Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A
Mabuhay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mabuhay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 6:53pm
It is beautiful once it is excuted well...
I first learn it when I was appointed as the Grand Lodge's Tyler, during my PHO days...
But now here in our lodge under the Grand Lodge of Philippines also teaches this process with slight little twist...

PM me... If you like our version...

joshuhwha View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshuhwha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2009 at 11:13pm
sorry i just wanna say u guys made me lol@with the "cut urself" comment...
Joshua
Master Mason
Richmond Michigan Lodge #187
roberj4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roberj4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2009 at 10:56am
i to am learning to walk the tyler's sword, but i will find out within my lodge. if you can't find out there, where can you.
robertson33
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upstateconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 3:55pm
To be honest you can do a WWW search............it wont demonstrate the movements, but you gets the words accompanying the same.

mandog911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandog911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 10:14pm

Walking the Tyler’s sword, if you don’t know it how can you proclaim to be a Master Mason? And under penalty of Oath should not be disclosed here. I would recommend speaking with your Most Worshipful Master to answer your question. Respectfully submitted.

lando4sho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lando4sho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 12:51am
Originally posted by mandog911 mandog911 wrote:

Walking the Tyler’s sword, if you don’t know it how can you proclaim to be a Master Mason? And under penalty of Oath should not be disclosed here. I would recommend speaking with your Most Worshipful Master to answer your question. Respectfully submitted.

I don't belive that not knowing how to "Walk the Tyler's Sword" has anything to do with being able to proclaim that you are a Master Mason. Every jurisdiction is soverign unto itself and that is just not taught in some places.

Right Step Military Lodge #636
Grover D. Bond Chapter #140
Hubert L. Reece Commandary #42
John A. Caldwell Consistory #341
MWPHGLTX
LBCutta1784 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBCutta1784 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 2:39am
I was taught how to walk the sword once. I've never had to do it so I only remember bits and pieces of it. Not knowing how to walk the sword doesnt make you any less of a Master Mason. I think the only thing requried for a visitor should be a current dues card. Maybe a few questions. What we would do in my old lodge is have them inspect the alter. Of course we would have it wrong on purpose. And see if they catch it.
New Light Lodge #242 F&AM
Killeen, TX
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by mandog911 mandog911 wrote:

I never heard of this until joining this forum and seeing comments from PHA Masons.  So you must be PHA.   And, I have not found a description of "walking the sword" on the internet.
"Until you realize that your viewpoint is incomplete and that's '_' viewpoint is complete, only then can you become teachable in the Mysteries of '_'."

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 4:56pm
More than likely you wont find it.  Hopefully it never appears.  It is one of those mouth to ear learning things that was a necessity years ago.  In this internet age, cell phone, ect it is too easy to find out if someone is an impostor.

Most I don't know of any PHA GL that requires this.  If a PHA GL requires this please list the GL.

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
150man View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 150man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 5:05pm

What if you're going to visit a PHA lodge your GL has recognition with and you don't know it? Will you be denied entry? 

Pleiades Lodge 478
Illumination Lodge No. 5
Old Chicago York Rite Bodies
Medinah Shriners
Valley of Chicago
Illuminati AMD Council No 495
www.livingstonesmagazine.com

Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 5:09pm
150man, I don't know of any PHA GL that requires this.  I will have a more definitive answer before I go to bed.

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 8:51pm
I am going out on a limb here, but most of the responses I have gotten given a no response, so I am going to say that it is not a requirement.

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
roberj4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roberj4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 9:29pm
I HAD THE PLEASURE OF ATTENDING A GL WORKSHOP LAST FALL.ONE SUBJECT WAS " WALKING THE TYLERS SWORD. IT WAS TRULY BEAUTIFUL TO BEHOLD. HAD I NOT ATTENDED I DOUBT I WOILD HAVE RECEIVED THAT MUCH LIGHT. IF INTERESTED TRY AND DO THE SAME.Clap
robertson33
Stuntman98 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuntman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 6:59am
We had a Bro from texas in our lodge who took on the position as J.D., after raising new candidates he teaches them how to walk the way "they" did it in texas, but our ADDGM showed them another way to and confused the poor folks  but they got the way its done from the worsh himself.
S.S. Sons of Light No.77
P.M. Pride of The Walton No.110
MWPHGL Washington
District No.9

SPAIN MILITARY CONSISTORY #99 AASR,PHA
DDGIT Afghanistan WFOT
Grand Technician WFOT
adams07 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adams07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 9:36pm
That would be my only concern, if everyone has a diff variation of it, then who's to say which is correct.  But of course if i go to a diff jurisdiction they will automatically assume there version is correct and i would hope that if im a little off from there's that they would use another form of recognition vice send a perfectly good visitor away.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic