Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Masonic Associated Organizations & Forums > Shriner Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are the Hot Sands?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevehardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are the Hot Sands?
    Posted: January/04/2009 at 2:28pm
Pardon the foolish questions, but what are "the Hot Sands"?

While respecting the need for confidentiality, what is involved in the Shriner initiation ritual?At%20a%20loss
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 2:58pm
A forum of hazing involving fun with electricity. The "Hot Sands" is an electrified mat.  The Imperial Shrine has requested all Temples to stop it use, so a Shrine Temple is on their own should a law suit develops as a result.

I've walked the Hot Sands and have no problem doing it again. But you never know how some others may react.

Edited by edwmax - January/04/2009 at 3:01pm
"Until you realize that your viewpoint is incomplete and that's '_' viewpoint is complete, only then can you become teachable in the Mysteries of '_'."

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
Huskerman View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huskerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 2:30am
I just went throught the "hot sands" one month ago.  If it's anything like what my Temple (Tangier) puts on, I guarantee you'll have a great time.  I really injoyed it.  Afterwards, we went to a local hotel where all of the clubs and units had hospitality rooms with food and drinks to inform the new guys of what their club/unit is about.  What a fantastic night.
Springfield AF&AM #112
Springfield, NE, USA
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 8:12am
I'm not a Shriner, but here's my understanding:

Hot Sands = a bit of tomfoolery involved in the initiation ceremony
Cold Sands = no horseplay
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
Cutter View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Tarditi Tarditi wrote:

That pretty much sums it up here in Edmonton, Alberta.  We don't use electricity at all anymore.   There's nothing in the ritual that you'll find embarrasing or painful.  It's all just plain fun. 
- PM (2008) Balmoral Lodge #185, GL Alberta
- Al Shamal Shriners, Edmonton, Alberta
- TLC Corps of the Al Shamal Shriners
upstateconnect View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upstateconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 7:02pm
[QUOTE=edwmax] A forum of hazing involving fun with electricity. The "Hot Sands" is an electrified mat.  The Imperial Shrine has requested all Temples to stop it use, so a Shrine Temple is on their own should a law suit develops as a result.

I've walked the Hot Sands and have no problem doing it again. But you never know how some others may react.
[/QUO.

Edited by upstateconnect - January/12/2009 at 2:23pm
MW Stringer Grand Lodge Jurisdiction of Mississippi-Prince Hall Affiliated

J.I. Martin Lodge No.#701       Worshipful Master
Cutter View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 3:42pm
My understanding is that they have gotten rid of the powered parts of the hot sands due to either a lawsuit or the risk of there possibly being a lawsuit.  I'm not sure of the exact circumstance. 

When I became a Shriner, it was a lot of fun, albeit unplugged!
nubs View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 7:01pm
our trek across the "cold sands" was  quite dissapointing, almost like no efforts was put into it. I hope this is something that can be fixed after this election!
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Tarditi Tarditi wrote:

Hot Sands=> horseplay involving electricity......quite a SHOCKING experience..
Cold Sands => milder horseplay......NO electrified toys & mat to walk over......
"Until you realize that your viewpoint is incomplete and that's '_' viewpoint is complete, only then can you become teachable in the Mysteries of '_'."

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
430 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 11:46am
Originally posted by upstateconnect upstateconnect wrote:

Originally posted by edwmax edwmax wrote:

A forum of hazing involving fun with electricity. The "Hot Sands" is an electrified mat.  The Imperial Shrine has requested all Temples to stop it use, so a Shrine Temple is on their own should a law suit develops as a result.

Edwmax, I just crossed last year and I was very disappointed..........The Shrine is a cake walk now....but there are still ways to have fun.

If you went through Khedive # 16 here in Birmingham, Alabama, that statement wouldn't come out your mouth LOL!
Triune Lodge #430 F & AM
M W Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Alabama (PHA)
1 Corinthians 2: 10-14 (The Master Builder)
Cutter View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 12:29pm

I was told that in large part Shrine Temples are abandoning the 'hot' part of the hotsands for fear of lawsuits, and that there had actually been one, although I've not heard details of where and when, nor the circumstances thereof.

Huskerman View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huskerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 2:45pm
Believe me, in Omaha, NE we are still very very "hot" and I'm thankful for it (we did have to sign disclaimers and list any health problems).  The time I had was one of the best in my life.

It's unfortunate that other temples aren't having the kind of fun that should be expected.  Hopefully, you guys will fix that for the upcoming groups.
Springfield AF&AM #112
Springfield, NE, USA
mistresstiamat View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistresstiamat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 6:17pm
I can see this type of hazing in a college frat (those are 18 and 19 year old boys) but amongst middle aged men it just seems ridiculous.

Blessed Be,
Neely
Bro.Neely Lawton 33°
Temple Sobek-Ra
Masoneria Egipcia del Antiguo Primitivo Rito de Memphis Misraim
M.E.A.P.R.M.M.
Huskerman View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huskerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2009 at 9:46pm
To each their own, I suppose.

We at the Tangier Shrine in Omaha, NE have a great time and have a truly awesome initiation.  We have tons of events for both Shriners and their familys.  Perhaps this is why we have such luck bringing in many young people.  I'm 32, hardly middle aged and there are many far younger than me.  Masonry, along with the shrine, need young blood to keep the traditions going so I feel that we are doing a fantastic job doing our part.  Even those that are "middle aged" or more have a great time because they don't let themselves feel old.  Young at heart and great people to be around.
Springfield AF&AM #112
Springfield, NE, USA
mistresstiamat View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistresstiamat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 2:41pm

I'm sorry, I just see college style hazing for grown men as kind of lame. But hey, it wasen't meant for me.

Blessed Be,
Neely
Bro.Neely Lawton 33°
Temple Sobek-Ra
Masoneria Egipcia del Antiguo Primitivo Rito de Memphis Misraim
M.E.A.P.R.M.M.
squarehead View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 3:41am
And thats exactly why you miss the meanings of the teachings. Old saying "I can show you, better than I can tell you".....SO  in order to FULLY understand what it is you are reading you need to be able to go through it (at some extent). Surely, It may be fun or crucial at most, but I see it as necessary...a reminder and an example to your flesh so that the experience and meaning remains with you. How do you know what HOT is if you've never been burned? Have you ever said you were full without eating? .....damn im a deep mofo.
MWPHGLTX F A&M
NEW LIGHT LODGE#242
MT. SINAI CHAPTER #42
SOUTH CENTRAL COMMANDERY #37
NUBIA TEMPLE #191 (AEAONMS)
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A

"Seek first to understand, Then to be understood."  &nbs
squarehead View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 3:52am
Originally posted by mistresstiamat mistresstiamat wrote:

I can see this type of hazing in a college frat (those are 18 and 19 year old boys) but amongst middle aged men it just seems ridiculous.

Blessed Be,
Neely

Cant teach an old dog new tricks.... a lot of things happen in order to "humble" you.
MWPHGLTX F A&M
NEW LIGHT LODGE#242
MT. SINAI CHAPTER #42
SOUTH CENTRAL COMMANDERY #37
NUBIA TEMPLE #191 (AEAONMS)
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A

"Seek first to understand, Then to be understood."  &nbs
outkast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outkast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 2:08pm
I have often heard the term "Crossing the Hot and/or Burning Sands" in reference to college fraternities in addition to the Shrine.
Mount Ogden #20 F&AM (PHA)
Ben Lomand Consistory #94
Labbayk Temple #218
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.
BoatCaptain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoatCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 1:19pm
Never say what you won't do.  And I see our clandestine friend can't even do that now.  Big%20smile
Rocky Mountain No.1 F&AM(PHA)
Mountain & Plains No.33 AASR
Syrian No.49 AEAONMS
Traveler View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 9:02pm
FYI,

The Directors Staff is responsible for putting on the second section of the Ceremonial. "Cold Sands" is merely a reference to the first section or "short form" Ceremonial, which is uaually put on by the "Ceremonial Divan", the second section or "Hot Sands" are put on for all newly created Nobles.

Hope this helps.
"Es Selamu Aleikum!"
Traveler View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 9:03pm
Be careful what you wish for!
"Es Selamu Aleikum!"
BIRD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 10:40pm
the hot sands in the north are still hot i am proud to say..  and as i was told before i joined

"MAY THE SANDS OF THE DESERT NEVER GROW COLD...."
J Stroud MM 32deg Shriner
JW CC135
Scottish rite valley 4 JW
Ahmed Temple
Pres MIMMA10
Ahmed clown unit
Directors staff
BIRD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by mistresstiamat mistresstiamat wrote:

Blessed Be,
Neely

Ith is the comomality that is suppose to bring brotherly love like the 3 initiations for blue lodge, it is a comon ground that we all stand on so we all have something in comon if nothing else...
J Stroud MM 32deg Shriner
JW CC135
Scottish rite valley 4 JW
Ahmed Temple
Pres MIMMA10
Ahmed clown unit
Directors staff
Noblewiebe View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noblewiebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Traveler Traveler wrote:

FYI,

The Directors Staff is responsible for putting on the second section of the Ceremonial. "Cold Sands" is merely a reference to the first section or "short form" Ceremonial, which is uaually put on by the "Ceremonial Divan", the second section or "Hot Sands" are put on for all newly created Nobles.

Hope this helps.

Hey,
Someone got it right!

The hot sands are alive and well in southern Ontario. The only time we do a cold sands is at the fall ceremonial if there are few candidates.

Lloyd
Master Alma #72 1985
A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.
www.beashrinernow.com

FreakNasty07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreakNasty07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 3:14pm
The Hot Sands are very traditonal to our order, just read your Oath and Look in your Pilar of Society!!!!!!
Noble Roland, Jimmy C.
"Freak-Nasty" Class 07
Takbir Temple#227.
Oasis of Honolulu.
Desert of Hawaii.
A.E.A.O.N.M.S.Inc.
"Naughty by Nature"
"Nasty by Choice"
"KHODETAN NEKONEAD"
D. Mogg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D. Mogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 12:28am
I traversed the hot sands this weekend, it was a blast.  I'll never forget it. 
Bro. Darrell Mogg
Golden Rule Lodge #479, F.&A.M.
Asiya Shrine A.A.O.N.M.S.
Cutter View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:01am
Glad to hear you had fun!   That's all it's supposed to be - fun.

:)
MO2010 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 1:55pm
I am told the Hot Sands are very very HOT where I am at.
Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by MO2010 MO2010 wrote:

I am told the Hot Sands are very very HOT where I am at.

Are you man enough to handle them?   How far will you go the help a crippled Child?

I walked them in my bare feet!   ..... I was no better provided ........

Edited by edwmax - March/30/2010 at 2:37pm

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
MO2010 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 2:53pm
 ..... I was no better provided ........

I am not sure what that means,

While I fully expect to cry like a littly girl I will be wlaking them this June all things being equal.
Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 4:09pm

..... I was no better provided ........

I am not sure what that means,

While I fully expect to cry like a littly girl I will be wlaking them this June all things being equal.

..... oops .....You'll find out shortly! ........  Wink .....

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
MO2010 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 4:34pm
You bloody Shrine brothers....all the same with your "oh you'll find out" and your smirks.
Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 5:54pm

You bloody Shrine brothers....all the same with your "oh you'll find out" and your smirks.

I'm referencing your Raising ....  when is it?

Edited by edwmax - March/30/2010 at 5:55pm

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
MO2010 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 9:23pm

Oh. Sorry.

Well I will be raised in early April. Don't know the exact date yet.
Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic