Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Masonic Associated Organizations & Forums > Scottish Rite Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

33RD DEGREE WHAT IS THE PRICE - Event Date: September/07/2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm0784 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 33RD DEGREE WHAT IS THE PRICE
    Posted: July/09/2009 at 8:29am

Hello my brothers of the craft i am wondering what is the price of the 33rd degree now i am wanting to become a 33rd but i am wondering how much do i have to spend and i am also wondering if the ring is included with the price i am PHA so i am just wondering what are the prices thanks my brothers.

Bro. Owens#70 PHA
Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 9:31am
In the AASR SJ the 33rd is Honarary. I know nothing of buying the 33rd.
The cost of the 33rd would be your time serving Masonry, your community and your family.

Edited by Anthony660 - July/10/2009 at 9:32am
Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
Member The Masonic Society
mm0784 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm0784 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2009 at 3:27pm
yeah i know in the PHA, brothers who get there letters from the supreme the council has to go where the 33rd is going to be givin so I know three brothers in my lodge who are 33rd's went to St.Louis now i think they go to Washington DC to get the degree now but i know you have to pay some money.  Your paying for the degree but i think brothers are paying for things that comes with the degree such as 33RD RING, CROWN, ROBE, COAT ETC.  
Bro. Owens#70 PHA
loveforthecraftPHA View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveforthecraftPHA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2009 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Anthony660 Anthony660 wrote:

In the AASR SJ the 33rd is Honarary. I know nothing of buying the 33rd.
The cost of the 33rd would be your time serving Masonry, your community and your family.

It isn't buying the degree. I agree with what you are saying about time being the price, but that isn't all. Although the 33rd is an invitation only honorary degree, there are fees and stuff like that. Matter of fact, I think it is around $2Gs. This year it was in OKC, OK and it'll be in DC next year.

Edited by loveforthecraftPHA - July/15/2009 at 10:26am
MW Stringer Grand Lodge (PHA)

Traveling since April 7, 2001

"We don't need young men in masonry, we need masonry in young men"
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2009 at 1:00pm

I just became a SP in April. yep, that 33rd moneywise isnt cheap

Unity Lodge #454
W.P.Brown Chapter #142 HRAM
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
Mohammed Temple #34 AEAONMS
J.L.H.Smith Consistory #76 USC SJ PHA
MWPHGLARK
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveforthecraftPHA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 2:07pm

Oh yeah and everything's inclusive so you don't go lacking for nothing.

m.lewis View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 8:35pm
Don't you have to do extraordinary work in your community and in Masonry to possibly be eligible for the 33rd?
Past Master & Secretary
Good Hope Lodge #29 F&AM
MWPHGL,F&AM, State of California,Inc.

Junior Warden

Oakland, CA

Entered: 2/26/09

Passed:   4/17/09

Ra
mm0784 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm0784 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2009 at 11:14am
well from my understanding is that, some one who is already a 33rd can recommend you for the 33rd degree at the council of delberations and then they vote on it and send u a letter telling where to appear for the 33rd.
Bro. Owens#70 PHA
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 9:16am
In the SJ of the AASR you have to be a KCCH first and then you can be recommended to be conferred the 33rd.

Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
Consistory View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Consistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 2:30pm
From the Supreme Council S.J. Statutes...it's $200 for Knight Commander of the Court of Honour...also, anyone that ever asks for these honors will be refused and never be invested a KCCH or coroneted an IGH.

For the Thirty-third Degree, Patent

included......................................................... $300.00

Edited by Consistory - August/26/2010 at 3:06pm
Jonathan Mark Mills, PDDGM, 32° KCCH
Grand Provost, Grand Lodge of Virginia A.F. & A.M.
Fidelity Lodge No. 173 Nickelsville, VA
Valley of Roanoke, Orient of Virginia
Scottish Rite Fellow

joshuhwha View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshuhwha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2009 at 1:35pm
Fromw hat i understood, they come too you for the 32,33rd..? didnt know it cost so much to take the degree tho, 2g's? gosh, i could never pay that :(
Joshua
Master Mason
Richmond Michigan Lodge #187
Bertram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 8:35pm
yeah.. it's pretty expensive.
Trinity Lodge #10 PHA GLoMo
King Solomon HRAM #38
Webb Smith #247 AASR SJ
Onward Commandery #2
Medinah Temple #39 AEAONMS
32PRINCE View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32PRINCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 5:19pm
It was $1500 for us.
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 9:38am
32 Prince-$1500.00 for the Scottich Rite? Wow, my Valley only charges $150.00 for the degrees, $50.00 for the cap, and $110.00 for the 14th degree ring.
What does the $1500.00 cover?
Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
32PRINCE View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32PRINCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 10:09am
Bro.Anthony, that was just for the 33rd and all that came with it.
mm0784 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm0784 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 4:57pm
yeah that that 33rde degree is high for the PHA'S you have to go where they are hving the united supreme council is being held so you know that is alot of money
Bro. Owens#70 PHA
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 5:04pm
One of my fellow SP of my Consistory went to USC AASR SJ PHA this weekend to become a GIG.
Unity Lodge #454
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
MWPHGLARK
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2009 at 5:06pm

I figure I start saving my pennies now just in case I ever obtain that honor :)

Unity Lodge #454
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
MWPHGLARK
32PRINCE View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32PRINCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 12:49pm
Bro,Smith, make sure you are eligible for the HONOR. There are those who purchase the 33rd without the merit of earning such. There are many who vouched for me, as well as my grassroots work in the community. Don't be one of those who has DEEP pockets, and SHALLOW knowledge and works.
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 3:39pm
Im certain I already am eligible for the Honor....Unity Lodge #454 has won Lodge of the Year for the past few years at GL in my Jurisdiction, So working for the craft is something Im very used to. I as well have many who can/will vouch for me. I see GIG in my future one day and have aspirations of a SGIG one day :)
Unity Lodge #454
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
MWPHGLARK
32PRINCE View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32PRINCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2009 at 5:52pm
GREAT job future SGIG.
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveforthecraftPHA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 3:54pm
those are some heavy shoes to put your feet into. lol. 

32PRINCE View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32PRINCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2009 at 5:01pm
LOL, if they're filled correctly that is. Unfortunately, all 33rds are not 33rds.
rubbishpile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubbishpile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 12:29am
Wow $1500 is a lot of cheese. The American Iternational Supreme Council charges $300 for the 33rd and you also have to go where ever they are meeting.  I got mine in 2006 in Atlantic City.
If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got. (Try something new)
squarehead View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 4:52pm
?
MWPHGLTX F A&M
NEW LIGHT LODGE#242
MT. SINAI CHAPTER #42
SOUTH CENTRAL COMMANDERY #37
NUBIA TEMPLE #191 (AEAONMS)
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A

"Seek first to understand, Then to be understood."  &nbs
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 4:55pm
lol
Unity Lodge #454
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
MWPHGLARK
Templarshriner32 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Templarshriner32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 3:49am
They will sell the 33rd also. There is a VERY wealthy factory owner who got his 33rd in my valley and he NEVER served SR in any body or even came to reunions. Wasn't even a PM in his own Lodge. He made a significant donation to Supreme Council and was awarded the Honorary 33rd degree. In fact we have several retired 33rd° CEO's that got it the same way. The rest of the guys had to earn it the old fashioned way.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 10:55am
Yes, there are a few 33rds given out based on wealth; the member makes a large monetary contribution and gets it. I remember one night at Lodge of Perfection when they introduced 33rds, they introduced a guy I had never seen or heard of so I asked the guy next to me who is that??? He replied that the man had just been made 33rd due to his making a significant contribution to one of the SR's major endeavors.

There was also a former mayor of who received the 33rd simply for being mayor. I suppose one could say he made a significant contribution to the community, but the thing was in his case that he had only been a Mason for five years. Most 33rds wait at least 5 times that or more.

One thing about this thread that, with all due respect, makes me uncomfortable is that at least the way I was taught, one should not even mention the possibility of themselves receiving the 33rd or in any way lobby for it (although I would be naive not to think it is done), but to broadcast ones intention or desire of receiving it in any public forum just hasn't been considered "kosher."
MasterHangman33 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterHangman33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 12:45pm
Wow, i also poured a bowl of Apple Jacks and won a Nobel Peace Prize!

LOL! J/K

Here in MI., 33 is an Honorary Degree only. One has to serve in the Rite dedicatedly  and emulate Masonic principals wholeheartedly. A Great & Friend & Brother of mine got it for serving all SR Bodies & helping allocate funds for remodeling the SR Center here.

*spellcheck, gotta Love it Wink

Edited by MasterHangman33 - March/23/2010 at 12:53pm
Worshipful Master
Trenton/Wyandotte #8
PHP Trenton Chapter #173
Union Council #11
Valley of Detroit A.A.S.R

MasterHangman33 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterHangman33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

One thing about this thread that, with all due respect, makes me uncomfortable is that at least the way I was taught, one should not even mention the possibility of themselves receiving the 33rd or in any way lobby for it (although I would be naive not to think it is done), but to broadcast ones intention or desire of receiving it in any public forum just hasn't been considered "kosher."

Here here!
Worshipful Master
Trenton/Wyandotte #8
PHP Trenton Chapter #173
Union Council #11
Valley of Detroit A.A.S.R

carolina123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 6:35am
hi,,,,,,,,
interesting post i will check it a lot of time.
thanks for sharing,,,,,,,,,
carolina
Bluetemplar36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluetemplar36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 2:59am
The term to best describe the 33rd would be "earned,never given". Most men who have been fortunate to get it have been some of the most supportive and involved men in the fraternity. They have tirelessly helped with degree work, bake sales for the Childrens Learning Center,Marshalls during reunions. and have continued in thier blue lodge and other appendant body involvement. Not to mention alot of these brothers are involved in similar projects outside the fraternity.

These guys made Freemasonry a LIFELONG career, aside from thier regular vocation.

Speas Mea in Deo EstSmile
Jonathan M. Welch P.M.
Charles M. Howell Lodge #496
Millersville, PA. (Lancaster County)
Stuntman98 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuntman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 11:10am
In my lodge, its costs abot 350 for your 32nd, that to go from 4-32, 33rd is honorary, you have to have been seen as honorable enough to be offered this degree, we had 2 brother in kuwait to get offered the degree, both went  on to be the ADDGM of there respected Districts.
S.S. Sons of Light No.77
P.M. Pride of The Walton No.110
MWPHGL Washington
District No.9

SPAIN MILITARY CONSISTORY #99 AASR,PHA
DDGIT Afghanistan WFOT
Grand Technician WFOT
430 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 2:02am
The 33 degree is an honorary degree that, at least from reading the posts, is pretty expensive. From my knowledge the 33 is an honorary degree, you can't petition for it or ask for it yourself and if so your automatically disqualified from receiving it.

What I find alluring about the degree, and the Scottish Rite, is the depth of knowledge that it posses.This is not to denegrate the York Rite or Freemasonry but there's something about that eagle : )

The 33 degree ring is pretty cool also.
Triune Lodge #430 F & AM
M W Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Alabama (PHA)
1 Corinthians 2: 10-14 (The Master Builder)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2010 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by JLHSMITH JLHSMITH wrote:

Im certain I already am eligible for the Honor....Unity Lodge #454 has won Lodge of the Year for the past few years at GL in my Jurisdiction, So working for the craft is something Im very used to. I as well have many who can/will vouch for me. I see GIG in my future one day and have aspirations of a SGIG one day :)
I shall attempt to whisper good council:

With all due respect, I have been a Scottish Rite Mason for more than ten years and I would NEVER presume to have a crystal ball about the Scottish Rite Honours which may or not be in my future. The very notion of this presumption on your part, and this knowledge being made known to the Hierarchy of your Valley or the Supreme Council would, presumably, disqualify you for the very Honours you boast about being prepared for.

The Honours of the Scottish Rite are conferred as a form of recognition for service to the Rite, to the Craft, and/or to the community. These Honours are never applied for and are voted on by the Supreme Council.

Here in the Southern Jurisdiction, a 32nd Degree Mason may be invested with the rank of K.C.C.H. (Knight Commander of the Court of Honour) after he has been a 32nd Degree for at least 46 months and only when elected by the Supreme Council. The K.C.C.H. is not a degree and is not a hint or guarantee that one might ever recieve the 33rd Degree, but is a pre-requisite.

The requirements for the 33rd Degree are similar in that one must be a 32nd Degree K.C.C.H. for at least 46 months and be selected and voted on by the Supreme Council. Unlike the KCCH, the 33rd is a Degree (Honorary).

The Grand Cross is the highest Honour in the Southern Jurisdiction and there are usually never more than 50 living 33rd Degree Grand Cross recipients.

You may read more about the requirements in several references including the Constitution, By-laws, The Scottish Rite Ritual and Guide by Arturo De Hoyos, and Vested in Glory by Tresner.

Although it may appear that a Brother has "bought" the Honour we must also consider that it may be warranted based on how far the financial contributions made will go to further the aims of the Fraternity. We can look at the advancement of celebrities, politicians, etc. in the same light. Honouring those who bring public recognition to the Fraternity through their political involvement, or involvement in the arts is a way of promoting the Craft.

We cannot sit on the sidelines and judge the intentions of the Supreme Council's decisions in these matters. We obligated ourselves to abide by their decisions as made by the hierarchy of leadership of the Rite.

A Brother who recieves Honours  is likely one who has been active in the Fraternity in one of numerous ways. Perhaps he has worked on a Degree Team, or as a stage hand, or in the costume and prop room, or in a community outreach program or in one of several hundreds of jobs which are so essentially necessary for the Scottish Rite to continue to do its best work.

Although these Honours may be earned by service, that service may be to the Scottish Rite, some other branch of Masonry, or to one's community at any level of civic duty. These Honours have been conferred on Brethren who, by outstanding achievement in the arts, the sciences, or by bringing attention to the rite. Whether in one of these several ways or in a combination of ways, the Honours can never be "purchased" or asked for, and, if asked for, must be refused.

Honours may be conferred not only as a reward for past achievements, but also as an incentive. Illustrious Brother Tresner, 33rd Degree, Grand Cross, refers to the Ritual when quoting, "this Honour is given less in reward for services already performed than in anticipation of those yet to be performed."

The Mason's path leads him out of the darkness of ignorance into the light of Universal Knowledge, or the creative force of God's brilliant luminescence. Masonry is a journey of man's understanding of the creator, and thus of himself and how he can make the world a better place through his own "work."

J. D. Buck, author of "The Thirty-third and Last Degree," himself a Thirty-third Degree Mason, states, "Scottish Rite Bodies will bestow Honours where Honour is due; not on empty titles or abuse of power, but as a guerdon of reward and appreciation of nobility of character and service to man - the very Crown Jewels of Wisdom, that nothing in the three worlds can ever dim or destroy."

There is a very important lesson in the way these Honours are bestowed. As they are never petitioned for, never asked for, never presumed - so should we strive to apply all of the lessons of the Degrees of the Scottish Rite. We should perform our duties, our "work," striving to better ourselves and the world around us; not for some reward that we anticipate, apply for, or presume to deserve.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 12:58pm
There is a story of a young, but earnest Zen student who approached his teacher, and asked the Master: "If I work very hard and diligently, how long will it take for me to find Zen?"

The Master thought about this, then replied, "Ten years."

The student then said, "But what if I work very, very hard and really apply myself to learn fast... -- How long then?"

The Master replied, "Well, twenty years."

"But, if I really, really work at it, how long then?" asked the student.

"Thirty years," replied the Master.

"But, I do not understand," said the disappointed student. "At each time that I say I will work harder, you say it will take me longer. Why do you say that?"

Replied the Master, "When you have one eye on the goal, you only have one eye on the path."
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 7:16pm
I feel all that you saying. But rest assured I have a good feeling I will become a GIG (at very least) and hopefully SGIG before I leave earth (God willing). But thanks for the info. I was confident I would be a Prince Hall Mason, and what do ya know...it was accomplished. Please dont take the old post as braggin, but as a brother that knows what he has lying ahead of him. :)  

Edited by JLHSMITH - August/03/2010 at 7:20pm
Unity Lodge #454
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
MWPHGLARK
Josey Wales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josey Wales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2010 at 9:01pm
I am a 32* and Knights of St Andrew in the Valley of Mobile A.A.S.R.
Josey Wales
Soloman's Guardians W.S.R.A.
H.E. Blackwell #899
Valley of Mobile A.A.S.R.
K.S.A.
Consistory View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Consistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by MasterHangman33 MasterHangman33 wrote:

Here in MI., 33 is an Honorary Degree only.

I am always a little disturbed that many Masons and non-Masons think that the 33rd degree is "honorary".  The 33rd degree is called "Inspector General Honorary", meaning that the holder of that degree is an honorary member of the Supreme Council.  All 33rd degree Scottish Rite Masons are also part of the "Court of Honour" which may also add to the confusion.  The 33rd degree is conferred by the Supreme Council only after nomination and unanimous election by the active members of the Supreme Council.

The 33rd degree is a real degree just like the previous 32...there are no "honorary" 33rd degrees given out under our statutes that I know of.  When we see universities giving out "honorary" degrees to individuals that never "earned" them as opposed to students that actually attended the university and earned the degree, you can see the differences in the concept.  The 33rd degree is earned for exceptional service to the Scottish Rite, Freemasonry and/or the community.  The only thing "honorary" about it is the fact that they serve on the Supreme Council as honorary members as opposed to the active members.

Edited by Consistory - August/09/2010 at 2:53pm
Jonathan Mark Mills, PDDGM, 32° KCCH
Grand Provost, Grand Lodge of Virginia A.F. & A.M.
Fidelity Lodge No. 173 Nickelsville, VA
Valley of Roanoke, Orient of Virginia
Scottish Rite Fellow

ArthurGang View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 5:20pm

Please dont take the old post as braggin, but as a brother that knows what he has lying ahead of him. :)  

No man knows what he has laying ahead of him.
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 6:54pm
It does sadden me when I read that "someone" has been granted a 33rd degree, largely due to the fact that money has changed hands. It may be seen as this money will benefit those who need it, but there is something that cannot be bought..........."the experience one goes through in acheivement".
When one earns his 33rd degree, I'm sure the occassison far excels that of the one who "paid" for his.
When I recently experienced the Initiations in Annapolis Lodge #89, just recently, I met one of the INitiates and he told me he wanted to wear his grandfathers 33rd ring. I asked him what was wrong with the 3rd degree MM ring and his reply was....."My father has that. so I'll settle for grandad's 33rd ring".
Now, I know that young fella will really enjoy earning the right to wear that ring.Wink
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by ArthurGang ArthurGang wrote:

Please dont take the old post as braggin, but as a brother that knows what he has lying ahead of him. :)  

No man knows what he has laying ahead of him.
True, but nothing wrong with dreaming big! Am I wrong?
Unity Lodge #454
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
MWPHGLARK
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 8:02pm
You are not wrong for dreaming, but your posts strongly imply that you feel that the conferring of the 33rd Degree is a foregone conclusion in your case. In my jurisdiction, that is a big no-no. If you really want the honor, I would keep such thoughts to myself and hope that the wrong person doesn't read on here of your intentions. As has been stated previously, you may have already blown it by doing that.
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 5:49am
Unity Lodge #454
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
MWPHGLARK
Mr Bigs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 9:05am
You don't want one from these guys http://www.newyorkstategrandcouncil.com/lodges.html
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 9:16am
UH dont know what you guys talking about, but ok.....LOL
Unity Lodge #454
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
MWPHGLARK
Mr Bigs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 10:42am

UH dont know what you guys talking about, but ok.....LOL
I'm afraid it's already too late.
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 11:53am

Im PHA so dont know about the Supreme Council above. Yes it is late for those clandestine supreme councils. 

Unity Lodge #454
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
MWPHGLARK
MSDT165 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSDT165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 6:26am

I just received the 32nd back in May and greatly admire the 33rds that I know.  I think that it is good to admire and respect the 33rds and to aspire to be like them.  There are 3 in our lodge.  I have great respect for them and aspire to live my life like they do.  But I would never presume that I deserve or am worthy of such a great honor.  I believe that if you think that you are worthy of such an honor it is evidence that you are not.  But it sounds like someone needs to use their compasses a little and get their passions in due bounds.  Just my humble opinion.

JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by MSDT165 MSDT165 wrote:

I just received the 32nd back in May and greatly admire the 33rds that I know.  I think that it is good to admire and respect the 33rds and to aspire to be like them.  There are 3 in our lodge.  I have great respect for them and aspire to live my life like they do.  But I would never presume that I deserve or am worthy of such a great honor.  I believe that if you think that you are worthy of such an honor it is evidence that you are not.  But it sounds like someone needs to use their compasses a little and get their passions in due bounds.  Just my humble opinion.

Sorry u feel that way bro.
Unity Lodge #454
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
MWPHGLARK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic