FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grammar and Rhetoric

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
khead27 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khead27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Shoe Shoe wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that the more texting and emailing there is the worse the handwriting has gotten, especially in the younger generations.

I don't know maybe it's just me. haha
I've noticed it, too.  I blame it on a lack of emphasis in schools, and society's tendency to rush and abbreviate everything.
Square Work Lodge #596
MWPHGLGA
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Shoe Shoe wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that the more texting and emailing there is the worse the handwriting has gotten, especially in the younger generations.

My handwriting has always been awful and I was always in trouble for it when I was at school. My excuse was that it had "character".
The Carrington Lodge (WAC 363)
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
18th Boucaut RC (AASR Australia 5)
The Carrington Lodge

Tensolator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensolator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 12:56pm
I like this topic.
Hypochondriacs are their own terrorists...-Saul Bellow
Shoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 11:36am

Jim
MM from ohio.
Jr. Stwt. Niles Mckinley Lodge #794
The Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 7:00am
I use Microsoft's free Wordpad program for preparing the longer posts - I've found it very useful. In the meantime Bro Nhamel, good on you for keeping on trying.
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
The Carrington Lodge

nhamel View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 6:17am
Hello im sorry that my posts may be poorly typed. i have Dyslexia and its a lot of work for me.
i will try to use microsoft works or something like that before typeing on the forums so im sorry if some of my past forums was poorly typed
AE. 1/09
FC. 2/09
MM.3/09
Morning Sun # 5 http://www.vtfreemasons.org/lodges/bridport.asp

daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 4:54pm
Good on you, Brother Bob.
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
The Carrington Lodge

Bob Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 7:53am
I even make my kids text me in full, punctuated sentences.
khead27 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khead27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 6:09pm
Well put.  Now, if I could get my kids to give up text talk!
Square Work Lodge #596
MWPHGLGA
squarehead View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 6:09pm
Fa' sho Brother PM-Bug! (just kidding). I will be certain to do my part. Good post by the way.
MWPHGLTX F A&M
NEW LIGHT LODGE#242
MT. SINAI CHAPTER #42
SOUTH CENTRAL COMMANDERY #37
NUBIA TEMPLE #191 (AEAONMS)
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A

"Seek first to understand, Then to be understood."  &nbs
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Palmetto Bug Palmetto Bug wrote:

Originally posted by tm274 tm274 wrote:

Ripper, mate.Thumbs%20Up

Mercy - now we are going to have to discuss Aussie slang. Wink
Yep.
I could go on and give a long winded  post, which would mean the same thing, but I haven't had my coffee yet.
You'll notice I did give it the "thumbs up".......which is a lot of effort.Thumbs%20Up

...........now to get my coffee.!
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
Palmetto Bug View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palmetto Bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by tm274 tm274 wrote:

Ripper, mate.Thumbs%20Up

Mercy - now we are going to have to discuss Aussie slang. Wink
Homo sum; humani nihil a me alienum puto.

http://palmettomason.blogspot.com/
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 5:56pm
Ripper, mate.Thumbs%20Up
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 5:47pm
Thank you administrators! These new phonetic abbreviations, eg m8 for mate, may save time for the sender, but not for recipients like me who have to sit there and translate. Sometimes I just give up, and the message hasn't got through which, I'm sure, wasn't the intent of the sender.

Remember, the responsibility for ensuring that a message gets through to the mind of the recipient sits entirely with the sender.
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
The Carrington Lodge

capquest View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capquest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 2:27pm
Well put!  As a secretary I have to read the unreadable and unscru the inscrutable.

The FIRST of the seven liberal arts is Grammar for a reason.

The first thing the GAOTU told Adam to do was to name everything.

GAOTU doesn't need Grammar but we humans do!
Capt. D
Secretary
Ashlar 98
F & AM Florida
Lighthouse View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lighthouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 1:44pm

The written word is still the primary means of communication via the internet. Proper spelling, grammar, and sentence structure are key to effective communication. As P-Bug stated, we all make mistakes and that is forgivable. To willingly persist in poor communication will get yourself ignored in a hurry.

-Brent

Naval Lodge No. 87 (Vallejo, CA): Secretary & Trestle Board Editor
djaeon View Drop Down
Entered Apprentice
Entered Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 12:58pm
Thank you for that! I hope it helps Smile
John D. Spreckles Lodge #657 F.&A.M.
Entered - 10/19/09; Passed - 2/8/10; Raised - 4/26/10
Al Bhar Shrine - 5/22/10
De Darrah View Drop Down
Matron
Matron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Darrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 11:35am
 Clapping%20Hands Well spoken. 

De
Past Matron New Hope Ch. #117 OES
PWHP Palm Shrine No.32 now Alchor #27 WSOJ
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.

As Brother Ben F. said
"In Wine there is Wisdom
In Beer there is Freedom
In Water there is Bacteria"
<
Palmetto Bug View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palmetto Bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 8:57am
We break from regular programing for the following announcement.

Masons should be familiar with the title of this topic. Those that are - or claim to be - Masons and are members of these Mastermason.com forums are invited to reflect on the following.

The administrators and moderators have noticed an increase lately in the amount of poorly typed posts. Though it is fully understood that typos plague us all and not everyone is equally grounded in the use of the written word, it is respectfully requested that an honest attempt be made to produce quality posts. Grammar, capitalization, spelling, and punctuation all play parts in this. Making mistakes in any of these areas can easily lead to difficulty for the reader and a likelihood that what you typed may be misinterpreted. The style of typing commonly known as "texting" is especially difficult on many readers and should be avoided. Slang, though sometimes useful, should also be carefully considered before being used.

It all boils down to courtesy and pride. Be courteous to your readers by typing properly written pieces - to the best of your ability - that are more easily understood and less likely to be misinterpreted. Have pride in your written word. Since we are unable to sit down face to face and have a conversation, all of us are forced to judge each other based largely on the words and sentences typed into these forums.

Please have a nice day and we will now return to regular programming - already in progress.
Homo sum; humani nihil a me alienum puto.

http://palmettomason.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic