Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grammar and Rhetoric

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tar Heel 357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 1:47pm
I believe the reason for the marked decrease in the written communication skills of our high school graduates is email, internet chatting, and blog sites.  One could also add that many businesses frequently use power point slides which use a bulletized format.   Yes, you are correct, I am writing this message onto an online forum.
Silver Square Lodge #791, MWPHGLNC

Edwards Evans Consistory #196, PHA

Kindah Temple #62, AEAONMS

Cumberland Chapter #70, HRAM

Bayard-Titus-Johnson Council #2, R&SM

Pilgrim Rest Commandery #11
maboot38 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maboot38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 1:49pm

That doesn't excuse it.  I believe I write just fine no matter the media type.  As a result, I'm almost always clearly understood.  If I'm not, it isn't because of my spelling and grammar.

Dan
Columbian Lodge - Boston, MA
Columbian Lodge Facebook Page
www.columbianlodge.org
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 2:24pm
Communication involves one person transmitting information understood by the receiving party as the sender intended it.

I understand the need to avoid slang and what not so brothers can understand, no matter their  demographic.

But I'd say this. Sometimes I'm typing from my phone and I expect a brother to understand when I say a phrase such as "U r jokin rite?"...not grammatically correct, yes. But of course brothers understand what the intended message was and that was delivered clearly.

I don't see the need for nitpickiness (if that is a word, though I don't think it is since there's a red wavy line under the word as I type) LOL

As much as technology has changed, can't blame it all on the younger text generation. They too have to go to school and write papers and communicate with other people other than their peers in an intelligible manner. Though textspeak is crazy and takes time to understand, I'm not hammering it on the new generation. Hardly.

Edited by Caution1010 - May/12/2011 at 2:26pm
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
maboot38 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maboot38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 2:29pm
Disagree.  The moderators of the forum expect it, as spelled out in the original post, and I as a Mason am expected to devote to study of the seven liberal arts and sciences.  We do not discard those for convenience.  We are Masons.  We make the extra effort.  Remember, YOU are someone's impression of Freemasonry.  When you post "U R Joking, rite?", sure I understand you, but I am also less than impressed.

Certainly I understand your point, but on this we do disagree brother.  As Masons we must always put our best foot forward as we are all representatives of this organization.
Dan
Columbian Lodge - Boston, MA
Columbian Lodge Facebook Page
www.columbianlodge.org
JLHSMITH View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLHSMITH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 4:59pm
I guess it's not that serious to me on an online forum. To each there own I guess.
Unity Lodge #454
W.P.Brown Chapter #142 HRAM
E. J. Jackson #8 KT
Mohammed Temple #34 AEAONMS
J.L.H.Smith Consistory #76 USC SJ PHA
MWPHGLARK
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 5:21pm
You can use it to perfect your skills;
or u cn use it 2 prfct ur skls;
it all depends upon your intention(s).
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall
dgresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 9:42pm
Coach,

I got a chuckle out of your reply.

---
dgresh
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 10:02pm
If ya gonna mess with da language, this gotta be da safest place ta do it!  Wink
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall
GaryE View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 3:36pm
I try to be as clear and concise as possible. I may be getting older, but I find myself more and more annoyed at the increased use slang, all capital letters, etc,. by people. Slang terms get used so often that it actually makes it's way into the dictionary as a legitimate word!

My thirteen year old son just informed me that they don't even teach cursive hand writing in a lot of the schools here because nobody hand writes letters much anymore. 
Noblewiebe View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noblewiebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by GaryE GaryE wrote:

My thirteen year old son just informed me that they don't even teach cursive hand writing in a lot of the schools here because nobody hand writes letters much anymore. 
They don't even know how to apply their signature to a document. Very sad.
Master Alma #72 1985
A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.
www.beashrinernow.com

GaryE View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 3:42pm
Very sad indeed. 
drew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2011 at 5:59pm
I'm a courier driver, and my route is in and around a large University.
I've many times, had customers chuckle at, and then berate themselves because when I ask them to sign, the say that they cannot cursive write, and just print their name. 
Worse, is when I need a cheque for a delivery, and I get handed a blank cheque,w ith the customer asking me to fill it out, as they do not know how!!!

Sign of the times I suppose though. I imagine that the general population can type much better than they could less than a generation ago. 
I guess we have to substitute one form for another. 

For the record, I try to write and send at least one hand written letter per month to carious friends; just to say that I do!!!
...when the guns are the fenceposts; the cars are the doghouse; and the telephone no longer rings.
anonymoussupporter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anonymoussupporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2011 at 9:56pm
Could not agree more, although I'd like to add that proper etiquette is praised everywhere.
BroPowellsLight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroPowellsLight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2011 at 2:11pm
Well said. I know that there are times that I have a hard time understanding.
Mt. Olive Lodge #434

EA: 5/08
FC: 6/08
MM: 7/08
eagreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 7:23am
I put the blame on society we allowed these things to happen. We as the people have lost ourselves. What happen to the Martins and Malcomes of these world.  What happen to each on teach one, It takes a nation to raise a child.  We as the people have become so dependent on "It's not my problem".  What we forgot is in the long run as we now are beginning it is our problem. 
N4GYN-Ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N4GYN-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 4:03pm
This is so important, since accurate communication can sometimes mean the difference between life and death.  All of us must endeavor to learn to communicate in such a way that the reader/listener will understand easily what was said/written.  Thank you for making us all aware of this. Smile
Ray Bailey - N4GYN
Buford F&AM Lodge #292
Buford, GA
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 6:10pm
Brother Ray, welcome to the forums. How about an introduction post in the http://forum.mastermason.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=4&title=introduce-and-accommodate-visiting-brethren section. I am also a ham as well, KE4RHN. I do very little with it anymore though.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
N4GYN-Ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N4GYN-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 8:35pm
Thank you Brother Jay.  What a nice welcome.  I have written a kind of Bio as you suggested for all to see.  I look forward to learning more about Free Masonry and becoming a better Master Mason as God gives me the opportunity.  Very Best Wishes, Brother!  I encourage you to get back into Ham Radio.  It's the greatest hobby in the world.  And you meet a lot of really great people (like yourself).Smile
Ray Bailey - N4GYN
Buford F&AM Lodge #292
Buford, GA
ernon View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ernon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2011 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by coach coach wrote:

You can use it to perfect your skills;
or u cn use it 2 prfct ur skls;

it all depends upon your intention(s).

I have to laugh when I think back to the 1970's, working for HFC. They made us learn their "code" to write our notes on the account cards so the customers could not read what we were writing. That code was almost identical to the texting shorthand of today.
Scott

Grants Pass Lodge #84 A.F.&A.M.
Medford Lodge #103 A.F.&A.M.
32° A.A.S.R. Valley of Medford
Quatuor Coronati Correspondence Circle
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2011 at 5:46pm
Don't get me started on text-speak. If someone sends me an SMS in this dreadful shorthand, I request they send it again in English. If they complain, then I tell them that their message can't have been that important in the first place.
The Carrington Lodge (WAC 363)
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
18th Boucaut RC (AASR Australia 5)
The Carrington Lodge

NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 12:51pm
Ok, time to swat the hornets nest...

Did we ever consider that the written word was so expensive during the formation of Masonry, that many of those brothers probably were unable to read and write?

Mouth to Ear? Maybe that's why we have "Grammar & Rhetoric" instead of "Penmanship & Spelling"...
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 2:23pm
That is to why the 'mouth to ear'   ... to teach proper English usage in speech   vs  .... ghetto slang  ... one can't write it if he can not speak the 'grammer & rhetoric' correctly.

Further, in the operative days of Masonry, the guild was the only schooling (education) a man would have the opportunity to receive.   ... 

Further still, in many areas of the country it was the Freemasons or local Lodge that started schools to teach their children and the children of their neighbors.  Many of these became today's public schools.   It was Ben Franklin that first advocated for public schools in the new United States.   ....

So I think "Penmanship & Spelling' is well covered.   However, there tends to be some that joins the forum that thinks everyone understands his 'ghetto slang'.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 9:36pm
Is "ghetto slang" even an appropriate term to use? I'm sure you're not using it in an inflamitory manner, but that term comes with certain connotations. It's sort of like telling someone not to speak "hillbilly" or something along those lines.

As far as what we write, who judges was is appropriate and how strict are we supposed to be. Should we have done sort of template we need to follow for writing posts? Are we going to start calling each other out for the improper use of punctuation marks? Maybe we should start using MLA, APA, or Chicago style?

When I was in grade school, having the words: "but", "and", and "or" at the begging of a sentence was really frowned upon. BUT . . . in college and in the course of conversation it's totally acceptable.

Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - King
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 9:36pm
I find that the art of being succinct even while excersicing the abilities to pontificate are not unlike the challenges of mental dexterity required to produce readable and comprehensible output in a manner that is palatable to one's audience...
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 11:01pm
Couldn't have put it better ...
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
The Carrington Lodge

tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 3:30am
Originally posted by daves daves wrote:

Couldn't have put it better ...

Couldn't have put it better ... muhself. Tongue
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
masonic.truths View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masonic.truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 10:46am
Originally posted by NobleShabba NobleShabba wrote:

Ok, time to swat the hornets nest...

Did we ever consider that the written word was so expensive during the formation of Masonry, that many of those brothers probably were unable to read and write?

Mouth to Ear? Maybe that's why we have "Grammar & Rhetoric" instead of "Penmanship & Spelling"...

I don't think the Seven Liberal Arts and Sciences include "Penmanship & Spelling".
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by BigBob BigBob wrote:

Is "ghetto slang" even an appropriate term to use? I'm sure you're not using it in an inflamitory manner, but that term comes with certain connotations. It's sort of like telling someone not to speak "hillbilly" or something along those lines.

As far as what we write, who judges was is appropriate and how strict are we supposed to be. Should we have done sort of template we need to follow for writing posts? Are we going to start calling each other out for the improper use of punctuation marks? Maybe we should start using MLA, APA, or Chicago style?

When I was in grade school, having the words: "but", "and", and "or" at the begging of a sentence was really frowned upon. BUT . . . in college and in the course of conversation it's totally acceptable.

Then I suggest you reread to original post of this thread.   ... Slang in one area of the country or community may not be understood else where. 

The term 'ghetto slang' is appropriate when referring to generally un-appropriate form/style of speech.   ... thus the reference for proper "Grammer & Rhetoric" to be used on the forum.     Your attempt to make my use of the term as being 'inflamitory' was un-called for.

Slang speech, ghetto slang, or what ever you might want to call it to be 'politically correct' is usually (not always) indicative of an 'un-educated' person.

However, my reply was about the question of 'Penmanship & Spelling', if one can not speak English correctly he can not write it correctly either.   ... The original post to this thread covers this.

Edited by edwmax - May/04/2012 at 12:44pm

Thomasville 369
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 7:16pm
Look Ed, I'm not going to argue with you. I said I'm sure that's not what you meant. If you think that's uncalled for, then fine. I'm sorry my comment made you think otherwise.

Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by edwmax edwmax wrote:

The term 'ghetto slang' is appropriate when referring to generally un-appropriate form/style of speech.

We also trust you meant "inappropriate"

However, my reply was about the question of 'Penmanship & Spelling', if one can not speak English correctly he can not write it correctly either.

While I agree that the practice of the proper form in the written word tends to reinforce the spoken, I ultimately disagree with this point, as I have met people who were functionally illiterate and had competent command of the Queen's English.

(like right now, haven't a clue what I just wrote, it just looked pretty when I typed it out... )
----------------------

edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 8:16pm

I find that the art of being succinct even while excersicing the abilities to pontificate are not unlike the challenges of mental dexterity required to produce readable and comprehensible output in a manner that is palatable to one's audience...

.... precisely ....

Thomasville 369
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 8:38pm

The term 'ghetto slang' is appropriate when referring to generally un-appropriate form/style of speech.

I meant what was stated .... appropriate!  ... my rhetoric is correct.

However, my reply was about the question of 'Penmanship & Spelling', if one can not speak English correctly he can not write it correctly either.

While I agree that the practice of the proper form in the written word tends to reinforce the spoken, I ultimately disagree with this point, as I have met people who were functionally illiterate and had competent command of the Queen's English.

(like right now, haven't a clue what I just wrote, it just looked pretty when I typed it out... )

As I said  "not always"   ... I am fully aware some educated people will speak 'slang' to fit in with a group.  However, these educated persons do know when it is appropriate and when it is not.    ...

But my statement was that proper speech reinforces proper written sentences.  The opposite of what you just wrote.   ...However, your comment also seems to allude to a person that speaks correctly but can not write.   I don't think a person can be educated in correct speech and not be able to write unless he is blind.   ...

Anyway, one can not be a Mason (in my GL) and not be able to write.  If a Candidate was found to be unable to write after he was initiated, he must learn to write before he can advance.

Edited by edwmax - May/04/2012 at 8:51pm

Thomasville 369
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 9:07pm
Wow!! On Tuesday I was talking to a senior Grand Lodge officer who admitted to me that he was dyslexic. My opinion of him has risen right up since then - imagine the effort required to learn ritual to a high level and write and receive reports.
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
The Carrington Lodge

tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 10:18pm

dyslexics of the World...............UNTIE!!!!!
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masonic.truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 8:50am

I meant what was stated .... appropriate!  ... my rhetoric is correct.

Is un-appropriate slang for inappropriate?Wink
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 1:16pm
No   ....

" .... Un`ap`pro´pri`ate
a.1.Inappropriate; unsuitable.

2.Not appropriated.
v. t.1.To take from private possession; to restore to the possession or right of all; as, to unappropriate a monopoly.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co."

Thomasville 369
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 2:47pm
http://langblog.englishplus.com/?p=1099

http://i.word.com/idictionary/Unappropriate
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masonic.truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 3:03pm

No   ....

" .... Un`ap`pro´pri`ate
a.1.Inappropriate; unsuitable.

2.Not appropriated.
v. t.1.To take from private possession; to restore to the possession or right of all; as, to unappropriate a monopoly.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co."

"Unappropriate" is a common misspelling or typo for: inappropriate, unappropriated, unappropriater, unappropriates.

Webster's Revised Unabrideged Dictionary is a descriptive Dictionary:

"Descriptive dictionaries describe the language. They include words that are commonly used even if they are nonstandard. They will often include nonstandard spellings. Prescriptive dictionaries tend to be more concerned about correct or standard English. They prescribe the proper usage and spelling of words. That school dictionary in which I found ain't was a descriptive dictionary."

"Inappropriate is the standard English term (it actually has Latin roots).

English does have a number of prefixes and suffixes which are nearly synonymous, so people, especially in everyday speech, will construct nonstandard words like “unappropriate.” Since we all know that un- means “not,” we know what the person is saying. I suppose you could also say “nonappropriate.” However, usually there is a standard form based on historical use and understanding. That word is inappropriate in this case.

Some dictionaries might include words like “unappropriate” or “nonappropriate” because someone somewhere used the word in a serious manner. Such dictionaries are called descriptive dictionaries; they merely describe the word used without making any observation about its propriety or standard use.

Some people would see such invented constructions as a sign of lack of education or lack of understanding. In the example you gave, use inappropriate even though we may understand the other words. Using the others may give some people the impression that you are not well-educated, well-read, or well-spoken as you could be."

http://langblog.englishplus.com/?p=1099

Edit:  Sorry BigBob, I didn't mean to step on your post referencing the langblog.  I was typing my post at the same time.

Edited by masonic.truths - May/05/2012 at 3:08pm
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 3:32pm
So ... it is not a slang word.   It is in Webster's.   ... and it was not a misspelling in the 1913 dictionary and has been in use since before 1800 (see websters).  Even masonic.truths' link shows this.

Edited by edwmax - May/05/2012 at 3:54pm

Thomasville 369
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 3:36pm
No problemo mon frere.
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masonic.truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 4:00pm

So ... it is not a slang word.   It is in Webster's.   ... and it was not a misspelling in the 1913 dictionary.
Just because it is in Webster's does not mean it is not slang.  Some Dictionaries include ain't, but that doesn't mean that it isn't slang.

Webster's Revised Unabrideged Dictionary is a descriptive Dictionary:

"Descriptive dictionaries describe the language. They include words that are commonly used even if they are nonstandard. They will often include nonstandard spellings. Prescriptive dictionaries tend to be more concerned about correct or standard English. They prescribe the proper usage and spelling of words. That school dictionary in which I found ain't was a descriptive dictionary."

The citations in my previous post make it clear that proper (standard) usage dictates the use of "inappropriate" when you are indicating something is not appropriate.

Nonstandard usage of a word is slang.

Edited by masonic.truths - May/07/2012 at 11:14am
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 7:51pm
We are argueing about if a word is real or not. Brethren, this is just nuts.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2012 at 6:58pm
Not sure if this is a good place for this, but I'm giving it a shot.  When I post lately a string of text is in front of my message. 
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by goomba goomba wrote:

Not sure if this is a good place for this, but I'm giving it a shot.  When I post lately a string of text is in front of my message. 

I see nothing wrong.
Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 9:42am
I am a special education teacher. Part of my job is to teach writing to high school students with moderate special needs, English being a second language to many of them. I too lament the deterioration and lack of emphasis on writing skills in our schools. I am known to be a fairly decent writer, however, my penmanship is terrible as I do not have well developed fine motor coordination.

How did I develop my writing skills? Two things:

1. I read a lot. Reading and writing is like tasting and smelling. One cannot taste without the sense of smell. Likewise, IMO, (with perhaps a few exceptions) one cannot develop writing skills without being able to read decently. My writing skills really took off when I started reading Charles Dickens, a very complex but effective writer. It doesn't have to be Charles Dickens, it can be any advanced writer. 

2. Some may laugh or find this hard to believe- I use a fountain pen. My penmanship is so bad that a fountain pen with its increased friction forces me to slow down and makes my writing more legible. I then read somewhere that years ago, students used fountain or ink pens for writing and it forced them to slow down and form their letters. The slower process also allowed them greater time to think about what they were going to write and improved their writing.

When it comes to Grammar, proper standard English puts us on the same page. Has anyone tried to read writing by common English people in the 1600's? Try reading John Smith's account of encountering animals and Indians in the New World. Very difficult to understand. Likewise today, many of our high school students were taught writing under the Whole Language system which did not emphasize spelling and grammar. Thankfully, Whole Language, while it had is merits, is no longer taught, but the damage has been done in many cases. However with text messaging, these new slangs and abbreviations have come in and I fear we are going backwards once again.
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 5:58pm
I agree Bro Droche. May I make one other suggestion? Read to you children when they're toddlers. Not only do they learn the beauty of language, it also inspires them to learn to read and gives them a love of reading for life (if my children are anything to go by). It's also one of the best parts of being a parent.
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
The Carrington Lodge

rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2012 at 5:00pm
Just happened on this post.... I have 3 kids, all adults now. When they were little, I read to them every night. As time went on, they started to read to me. About the time the oldest boy was 11 or so, When we were visiting my parents, I commented to my mother that they really enjoyed reading. She got that funny smile that mothers get when dispensing momentuous information....
"You like reading, don't you?"
"Uh.. yeah...." (I always have.)
"I used to read to you and your brother and sister when you were little"
The penny dropped about then, and I realised that she was right, that reading to them when they are babies and toddlers instills a comfortable feeling and induces them to like reading.
My middle son and his wife are reproducing. We have started buying books for the kid. Maybe he/she won't read books, but whatever media is there, I expect him/her to be an avid reader by the age of 5 or 6.

Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2012 at 6:14pm
Couldn't agree more, Bob. Some of my happiest memories with my three sons was reading to them at bedtime. And, yes, they all started reading for themselves early, and grew up with a love of books.
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
The Carrington Lodge

Veritas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 5:14pm
a
Adrian N. Gollop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian N. Gollop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 6:21am
Well said my friend.   "God, ' says Sanctius, "created man the participant of reason; and as he willed him to be a social being, he bestowed upon him the gift of language, in the perfecting of which there are three aids. The first is Grammar, which rejects from language all solecisms and barbarous expressions; the second is Logic, which is occupied with the truthfulness of language; and the third is Rhetoric, which seeks only the adornment of language."Star
"Be True to what you do, and what you do will be True to you." ~ Adrian N. Gollop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic