Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > A Bikers Barstool online
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sportbike and age

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotrite357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sportbike and age
    Posted: November/12/2009 at 7:06pm
    I had a 2003 cbr600F4i, I'll post the pic once I scan it into the computer, and sold it by 2005 because I was having another kid and building a house at the same time and it just sat in the garage.  It was my 4th sportbike and I actually want a Hyabusa 1300R.  But at 35 with 4 kids, I'm starting to feel a little old for one.  My dad and father-in-law has Harley full dressers.  I ride my father-in-law's quite a bit before I hurt my back in July.  I also am interested an buying a big dog or something like that.  I love the long forks, wide tire and CHROME.  Question is, Is there an age when you should let the sportbike go and move on to the cruiser?
Brake Pad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brake Pad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2009 at 8:24pm
when Hell freezer overClap
Ride what pleases you, don't follow a trend.

Edited by Brake Pad - November/14/2009 at 2:09pm
Stone Cutters # (20) Florida
FreeMasons Riding Club

Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.

SodaMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SodaMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2009 at 5:12pm

Ride what you like, don't worry what others may think. I personally ride a Goldwing, but have friends that ride sportbikes. And we're all over 40.
Bro. Jon
Worshipful Master - Zenith Lodge #202 AF&AM
Redfield Lodge #34 AF&AM
I 3/14/2007
P 3/30/2007
R 6/6/2007
Secretary SD Grand Chapter
Widows Sons
Masonic Riders Association
TakRail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TakRail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by scotrite357 scotrite357 wrote:

Question is, Is there an age when you should let the sportbike go and move on to the cruiser?

When you can no longer handle the power and performance of a Sportbike!!!
Initiated - April 27th 2007
Passed - June 13th 2007
Raised - August 8th 2007
AASR 32° - August 10th 2012

aogop View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aogop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 9:05pm
The day you feel too old for a sports bike is the day you buy your FJR Wink
JerryP.

PM- Shoreline Lodge#248 F&AM

Shoreline, WA.
joelpetes_jm View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelpetes_jm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 11:29am
Our local race club (Central Roadracing Association - cra-mn.com) has several racers in the late 50's early 60's.  We actually have a race each year for riders 40 and over; called the Formula 40.  We usually have between 12-18 participants riding anything from 250 2-strokes, to liter bikes, and everything in between.  And this isn't drag racing, I'm talking knee draggers here!
I 04/20/2010
P 05/18/2010
R 06/12/2010

Reading the signs and smelling the roses on my journey to that undiscovered country from whose bourne no traveler returns.

Monticello Lodge #16
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 10:07pm
ROFLOL
Only Because I am one of those Harley guys who waves at everyone,
Ride what you like, worry what no one thinks, it is however your choice and Your Pleasure to ride what you desire.

lando1231 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lando1231 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 12:44am
It's guys here well over 40 still riding sportbikes and many have Hayabusa's!
ButchA View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButchA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 10:55am
Wow, not here (Richmond, VA).  Anyone under 30 (heck, maybe even under 40) rides the sportbikes/crotch rockets.  People over 30 lean more towards the cruisers.

My daughters' boyfriend has a Kawasaki ZZR 600 crotch rocket.  Mean looking machine!  I asked him if I could take it for a quick spin around the block.  To my surprise, he tossed me his key and told me to be careful.  This was my first time ever, on a crotch rocket.

I was almost laying down over the gas tank.
The drivers footpegs were almost back where the passengers pegs are on my Honda Shadow (cruiser).
The handlebars were almost straight out sideways from the front forks.

I was extremely uncomfortable and as I sped off down my street, but was very careful with the bike.  Once I hit the secondary road, I hit the throttle and shifted the gears.  I quickly found myself hitting 50 in a 35mph zone and still only in 3rd gear! Shocked  I slowed way down, turned around in someone's driveway, and came back home.  I handed the key to my daughters' boyfriend, and told him that the bike was really nice, really cool, and all that, but obviously not my style!

EA -- 01/14/10

FC -- 02/18/10

MM -- 03/25/10

= = = = = = = =

2013 Junior Warden - Tuckahoe Lodge #347 Richmond, Virginia

32° AASR - Valley of Richmond, Orient of Virginia

lando1231 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lando1231 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 1:04pm
How do u upload pics???? I was trying to share pics of my bike
150man View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 150man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2010 at 2:54pm
Go to the member control panel, then file manager.  You'll see where you can upload pictures or files.  It says upload in green. 

Edited by 150man - July/16/2010 at 2:55pm
Pleiades Lodge 478
Illumination Lodge No. 5
Old Chicago York Rite Bodies
Medinah Shriners
Valley of Chicago
Illuminati AMD Council No 495
www.livingstonesmagazine.com

Whips View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 8:47am
i have to really agree.  ride what you like. 

i learned on a FZR400. first bike was a FZR600. my dad got me a HD sportster 1200.  I no longer have the FZR of course. Got a Heritage softail that i fliped for some cash. and now i got a 05 R1 i'm fixing to ride and flip if it don't break the bank first.

I love all the bikes for different reasons.  oh i'm also 34.  so i honestly can say i've riden both sides of the fences.

ride what tickles you.  and no one says you can't have both!
o_O
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 1:02pm
Whips, my wife says I can't have both Cry

Funny thing is she's scared to death of even going near my '09 R1.  It's a great bike, but the age you switch is determined by your riding preference and whether or not you can convince your wife to ride with you... or if you want her to LOL  She want's me to get a tike.  No way.  I'll consider a crusier/chopper but no trikes for this kid, yet.

Edited by Barnacle Bill - December/08/2010 at 1:03pm
"Quando Omni Flunkus... Moritati! - Mr. Red Green
Hanna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2011 at 2:30am
did you  take any suggestions ?
and can really make people sit up and notice
Mike Martin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2011 at 7:11am
I'm 46 and commute 250 miles a week on my little Suzi then ride for pleasure on top of that.

Edited by Mike Martin - January/16/2014 at 4:35am
scout View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 1:19pm
I'm 50 as well, and ride an 04 Triumph Sprint RS.  I admit that my hands and wrists are sometimes sore after a ride because of arthritis,  but I'm not ready to slow down just yet.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 3:22pm
 I would think the more appropriate question would be is one too young to ride a sport bike. 
Mike Martin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2014 at 4:55am
Just to update, I changed bike and now have a little Kawasaki:

JG26_Irish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JG26_Irish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2015 at 11:13am
This is not an age issue.  It depends more on what you like, where you ride and the roads in your area.  I road raced until I was in my late 40's.  Would never have quit, but I left my job and started a business and could not afford to risk getting hurt and unable to work.  I still own a Ducati and a few older Honda sportbikes.  When I lived in Los Angeles, I rode the Duc in the LA county canyons and other fantastic twisties like GMR, Mullholland and Angeles Crest.  Almost nobody rides cruisers there.  When I moved back to KY I was riding my vintage BMW sport touring bike and purchased a FLH-FSE Harley.  The roads are straighter, and smoother and I enjoy travelling with the Ole lady, so the Hog is getting most of the miles. 
I have seen good riders, great riders and really poor riders on all types and brands.  My advice:  Ride em all and enjoy the ride regardless of your age.

Irish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic