Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Masonic Associated Organizations & Forums > York Rite Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

York Rite Rosicrucians vs AMORC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: York Rite Rosicrucians vs AMORC
    Posted: March/28/2010 at 6:11pm
I am not yet in the York Rite, but am currently in the blue lodge and AASR and plan to join the YR this fall.  I also hope to join a Rosicrucian order to get the more "practical application" side of things, plus many of the Rosicrucian teachings intrigue me.  I know the York Rite has an invitation-only body of Rosicrucians that only admits 72 people from each state.  I have a few questions about this...

Is the 72 person limit per year or is it the total membership of the society?  Also, how hard is it to get invited to join?  Is there anyway to get the spotlight put on you to better your chances of membership? 

Also, I've heard if you join the Rosicrucian order in the York Rite you cannot belong to any other Rosicrucian order.  Why is this?

I have considered joining AMORC because it is only an hour from my house and I could easily go there to do ritual and research at their world HQ.  Would it be a good idea to join AMORC since there is probably a slim chance that I will ever get into the York Rite Rosicrucian order, or is it better to wait until chosen to join the York Rite Rosicrucians, even if it takes a long time?  Also, if I did join AMORC would I be required to demit from AMORC before being admitted to the York Rite Rosicrucians?

Anyway, any help or info I could get on this would be appreciated, thanks.
Brian
KYMMLodge503 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYMMLodge503 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 6:38pm
The limit of 72 members is per college. Most of the invitational bodies will not let you in if you seek membership or try to find shortcuts. So, please keep that in mind when asking for information. Check the website below for more information.

http://www.sricf-ca.org/
http://www.sricf-ca.org/ordinances.htm

Edited by KYMMLodge503 - March/28/2010 at 6:41pm
Goshen #503
Alvaton, KY
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 8:22pm
I understood that as a college reached capacity dictated by ancient usage, then a new college forms.

I agree with the advice regarding invitational bodies.
It is fine to express interest, but be careful that you do not give the impression that you are soliciting an invitation.
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
bjw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 11:01pm
Thanks for the info.  I'm glad you guys warned me about this ahead of time, as if I tried to get an invitation from them I may have jeopardized any chance of getting in. 

I think based on what I've seen on these sites it may be better to join AMORC and just wait after joining the York Rite to see if I'm every invited.  I wasn't aware that you weren't allowed to solicit invitations, but that makes sense because it would defeat the purpose of an invitation only body if everyone asked to join.

I think from now on when I talk to guys at lodge about it I will not mention anything about joining, but just ask questions about what the society does, that way they will see I'm interested but it won't come off as soliciting an invitation.  Is that the best approach?
Brian
Stormy View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 11:48pm
That would be the best approach. And I would keep the question asking down to a minimum as well. Some times just asking about it too often is enough to jeopardize you being invited. I have looked into this particular group a time or too myself and hope one day I get invited, but I just asked a certain person about it last weekend and I got the idea I may have done myself more harm than good.

As far as I know if you are a member of the AMORC or another like group, you would have to drop them before you could join the SRICF.

Check out this link as well if you haven't already.
http://www.yorkrite.org/sricf/
Columbus1492 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Columbus1492 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:03am

Glad to see this thread got started. I've been interested in Masonry and Rosicrucianism for quite some time. Yet, have not received an invitation.

A couple of comments:

Stormy:
The question of suitability still remains. How to stand out as a potential candidate? I still wonder about how to appear under the radar of the College.
- Is it sufficient to be an active participant in York Rite Masonry?
- I don't see necessarily why one would make a mistake by showing interest to know more about the College (clearly without asking for membership)?

Brian:
If you are interested in practical Occultism yet worry about elegibility to a College, a highly recommended alternative to joining a Rosicrucian group is to work under the BOTA school. (http://www.bota.org/)

If anyone would like to give some advise on the right approach to a College that would be greatly appreciated.

S&F,

---
CY
Mt. Olivet Lodge
Cambridge, MA.

Massachusetts Lodge of Research
KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:38pm
I really wish we had a SRICF in Idaho, but alas we don't.  I've been very much interested in the Rosicrucian philosophy since I joined Freemasonry and researched a bit of the Scottish Rite.
Bro. Barry E. Newell

Traveling Templar - 04MAR2017
MasterHangman33 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterHangman33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 7:33pm
AMORC is not the TRUE invisible Rosicrucian Order.
Worshipful Master
Trenton/Wyandotte #8
PHP Trenton Chapter #173
Union Council #11
Valley of Detroit A.A.S.R

Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterHangman33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 7:36pm
FYI. I have All the BOTA curriculum. And MANY rare and ancient manuscripts. I have been studying Qabbalah, Alchemy, Quantum Physics and so on for almost 15 years now.

Worshipful Master
Trenton/Wyandotte #8
PHP Trenton Chapter #173
Union Council #11

Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterHangman33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 10:02pm
The point of the above post is, i have most of this on PDF files and can skype or filehost them for anyone that wants them. I have a great collection and would Love to share.
Worshipful Master
Trenton/Wyandotte #8
PHP Trenton Chapter #173
Union Council #11

KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 12:35am
We'll have to find a meeting time and Skype those.
Bro. Barry E. Newell

CAMB.MASON View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAMB.MASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 7:55am
 Some of these groups are invite only, and the only way to get  yourself known is through hard work and visitations, get to know others within the bodies.  I am a member of the KYCH, which is also invite, but my mentor is the one who proposed my name.  I have gone on parades with the Gbodies, worked in other bodies and got my name out there. They will take notice, I would ask once about membership and than leave it alone.
I remain Fraternally Yours:

Curator & Historian
Cambridge Masonic Temple Cambridge, Massachusetts

Jayman View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 9:28am
Well said Bro CAMB.

The other thing is to realize what is being done in the Rosicrucian order.

My understanding is that you need to already be well-versed in esoterica before you join. So start learning. Talk with brehtren about these subjects. Maybe even meet some to do study groups on the weekend.

Words gets back to the Rosicrucians that you are walking the walk, and not just looking to add notches to your Masonic bedpost.
MO2010 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 1:12pm
Whats a good place to get started in, I don't know very much about it.
Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by CAMB.MASON CAMB.MASON wrote:

Some of these groups are invite only, and the only way to get  yourself known is through hard work and visitations, get to know others within the bodies.  I am a member of the KYCH, which is also invite, but my mentor is the one who proposed my name.  I have gone on parades with the Gbodies, worked in other bodies and got my name out there. They will take notice, I would ask once about membership and than leave it alone.

My photographic memory and love of the ritual earned me an invitation into the York Rite college which I should be receiving at the end of April. I'm excited.  A great friend who has been a mentor throughout all of my Masonic journey invited me.

KYCH?  You definitely have not learned to say no. lol

Originally posted by MO2010 MO2010 wrote:

I've heard the Zohar is a good start.  I've ordered one from Amazon.
Bro. Barry E. Newell

Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterHangman33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 8:59am
Originally posted by KSigMason KSigMason wrote:

My photographic memory and love of the ritual earned me an invitation into the York Rite college which I should be receiving at the end of April. I'm excited.  A great friend who has been a mentor throughout all of my Masonic journey invited me.

KYCH?  You definitely have not learned to say no. lol

I've heard the Zohar is a good start.  I've ordered one from Amazon.
Unless one has at least a brief understanding of Kabbalah, the Zohar would be tough to read. The Zoahr i have is 30+ Volumes, and is written in Hebrew, with english transliteration. One good thing about it is that one does not even have to Know how to read Hebrew to recieve energy from it. But i am Fluent in Hebrew, reading and writing anyway. Still a bit tough for me to speak it in a convo.

Edited by MasterHangman33 - April/01/2010 at 9:02am
Worshipful Master
Trenton/Wyandotte #8
PHP Trenton Chapter #173
Union Council #11

Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAMB.MASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 9:09am
it is too bad that there are so many brothers who have soooooooo much knowledge and have done much research that at times they are overlooked to join such groups and that some of their knowledge disappears when they die.  I have heard many a man give some insight information on topics and either they are not part of some group that studies it and records it, or part of some research group that does, or does not write it down for future generations to come to enjoy, is lost when they die.  don't mean to get off track, just reading some of these posts made me think of some guys I knew and some of their talks they use to give.

Edited by CAMB.MASON - April/01/2010 at 9:10am

Curator & Historian

Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterHangman33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 9:17am

it is too bad that there are so many brothers who have soooooooo much knowledge and have done much research that at times they are overlooked to join such groups and that some of their knowledge disappears when they die.  I have heard many a man give some insight information on topics and either they are not part of some group that studies it and records it, or part of some research group that does, or does not write it down for future generations to come to enjoy, is lost when they die.  don't mean to get off track, just reading some of these posts made me think of some guys I knew and some of their talks they use to give.
Indeed my Brother. Personally, i have volumes of personal writings and i always have had the same thought You related in this post, so as i study, meditate and grow, i always write. I plan on leaving my writings to my Daughter and to my Lodge. What is revealed to the super thinker, the Genius, is Gods revelation to man from the Holy of Holies, and is for the entire body of Humanity.
Worshipful Master
Trenton/Wyandotte #8
PHP Trenton Chapter #173
Union Council #11

MO2010 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:12am
Brothers, where is a good place for a complete newbie to take a first look at esotierca?
Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
Jayman View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:55am

Brothers, where is a good place for a complete newbie to take a first look at esotierca?

Wikipedia.

Seriously.

Thing about Wikipedia is that you get a topline or summary of each topic.

Start with reading the page on Esoterica and then start following the links from there.

Spend a few weeks with that. From there you will find certain subjects rising to the surface as being of interest. Esoterica is a pretty broad area and will take a lifetime to study and become a schoalr in all of it.

Bone up on mysticism (Christian, Jewish or Muslim)
Hermeticism
Martinish
Hiunduism
Numerology
Tarot
blah blah blah (the list is lengthy)

Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAMB.MASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:58am
try masonicdictonary.com found some good stuff on there.

Curator & Historian

MO2010 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 11:18am

Thanks. I will take a look at both resources. Trouble is I might not no what to look for and definitely will not know if it is BS or legit when I see it.

Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 12:09pm

Thanks. I will take a look at both resources. Trouble is I might not no what to look for and definitely will not know if it is BS or legit when I see it.

Nor do many...
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
Jayman View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 12:33pm

I think the Wikipedia option will give you the overview you need to know where to look for further information.

As much as people like to rag on Wikipedia, it is not as incorrect as many think. Especially in areas such as Esoterica. There are just too many know-it-alls on that site that would dispute BS postings.
KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by MasterHangman33 MasterHangman33 wrote:

Unless one has at least a brief understanding of Kabbalah, the Zohar would be tough to read. The Zoahr i have is 30+ Volumes, and is written in Hebrew, with english transliteration. One good thing about it is that one does not even have to Know how to read Hebrew to recieve energy from it. But i am Fluent in Hebrew, reading and writing anyway. Still a bit tough for me to speak it in a convo.

I'll have to do some more research on the Kabbalah then.  I'm having trouble with my access, but I have the ability to get Rosetta Stone and I'm trying to study Hebrew as I've taken a new fascination in the older languages.

Edited by KSigMason - April/01/2010 at 7:53pm
Bro. Barry E. Newell

Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterHangman33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 8:59am
Originally posted by KSigMason KSigMason wrote:

Originally posted by MasterHangman33 MasterHangman33 wrote:

I'll have to do some more research on the Kabbalah then.  I'm having trouble with my access, but I have the ability to get Rosetta Stone and I'm trying to study Hebrew as I've taken a new fascination in the older languages.
The elder dialects are very powerful. Right to Left ones. Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic & Sanskrit.
Worshipful Master
Trenton/Wyandotte #8
PHP Trenton Chapter #173
Union Council #11

Stormy View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 8:53am
I know the SRICF is listed on the York Rite website and is considered an appendant body of the York Rite, but I believe that it is more related to the Scottish Rite. Most people in my area that belong to the SRICF are stanch Scottish Rite members. The thought pattern behind the esoteric side of Masonry is more in line with the Scottish Rite.

I was at my Scottish Rite meeting this month talking about my love of reading Albert Pike's books and how many of his books I have bought and read when a Brother came to me and mentioned the SRICF. Not saying that I received an invite, that isn't how it works, but he just wanted to mention it to me. But the Brother that brought it up to me is the Chief Adept of our state. I'm hoping that it leads further as I would love to join and further my Light.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Columbus1492 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 2:07pm
The link with of SRICF and SR is a good observation. I was hoping to meet SRICF members in last SR Spring reunion but no luck. My gut tells me that a good place to make contact is the RC Chapter though. Good luck Stormy keep us posted on how things go.

daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 5:44pm
Not sure if this is relevant, but here goes http://www.sria.info/
The Carrington Lodge (WAC 363)
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
18th Boucaut RC (AASR Australia 5)
The Carrington Lodge

PM156 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PM156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2011 at 9:53am
I would like to toss out a practical suggestion to the Brother hoping to be noticed; be noticable.  Pursue your personal study of Esoterica, and prepare a couple of simple but interesting short talks on the subject.   Then make it known to some WM's that you would be glad to present them as Masonic education for their lodge.   Most but not all lodges would love to have this resource and it will make your interest in the topic well known.
ChrisH1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisH1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 5:52pm
It always makes me sad when I hear how hard it is for Masons to join The SRICF! I am very lucky to be an honorary member of North Carolina College through my association with Several members and my membership of The SRIA.

In England is it far easier to join The SRIA than it is for you guys in The US, (I am a member of 6 Colleges) it is also very easy to join The Red Cross of Constantine which I also believe is difficult in The US.

However to balance things up The Order of Eri is an extremely hard Order to join in England but if you attend Washington in February you can join no problem! I suppose it is the differences that make it interesting!

Wheras in The US you only have one College per State (except California) There are 6 Colleges in The Province I belong to! Regarding Eri, you can only join Eri by Invitation and in reality you need to hold the 8th Grade in The SRIA

With respect tp the question of a good place to start regarding Esoteric Study. When I asked the same question 15 years ago the then Supreme Magus of The SRIA said 'Read The Kybalion' it will start you on your journey and everything else will follow. I did and he was correct! I would also recommend several titles by Waite, although be warned he is extremely hard work using 20 words when 3 will do, but he was incredibly knowlegeable.

Good luck to any who are at the beginning of thier journey
If your Aunty had em' she'd be your uncle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Columbus1492 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 8:36pm
Hello Bro Chris

I also hear that in England is easier to join the CBCS, is this correct? Here in US there is a recently formed Grand Priory of America but I think joining it is more restrictive than all the other orders.
Also, how difficult is it to join the RoS in England? I understand this is by invitation only.

C.
ChrisH1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisH1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Columbus1492 Columbus1492 wrote:

Hello Bro Chris

I also hear that in England is easier to join the CBCS, is this correct? Here in US there is a recently formed Grand Priory of America but I think joining it is more restrictive than all the other orders.
Also, how difficult is it to join the RoS in England? I understand this is by invitation only.

C.
Hi Columbus

In England The CBCS (Chevalier Benifiscent de Cite Saint) is known by The Letters KBHC (Knight Benificent of the Holy City) I would not say it is easy to join. It is true that in the last 3 years the order has been opened up by The Great Priory, before it was 'opened' most English Masons who wished to join had to travel to Belgium. This is where I joined. Before then the KBHC in England was run very similar to The original one in The US, very restricted membership, invite only and really nothing more than a glorified dining club! They never worked The SMSA (Scotiish Master of St Andrew) just The Squire Novice and KBHC they met twice a year. Although things have now changed you still have to be a Great Officer of Great Priory or a very senior member in the Province to be invited. However there are now 13 Lodges of St Andrew and 4 Prefecturies and they work all the degrees so it is now easier relatively!

The RoS is a lot easier to join although it is meant to be by invite only in reallity you only need to let someone know who is in it and you will get an invite pretty quick. The difference with The RoS is each Province has its own entrance criteria, all have to be a MM for 5 years but some insist on you being a 30th degree AAR (Scottish Rite) in England you get your 18th and your 30th only comes after you have been through the chair and done all the work, a 32nd Degree Mason in The UK is extremely rare in comparison to The US! Other Province insist on you being a member of at least 2 other Christian Orders and The PGL of The City of London insists on you having a link with The City, that could be work, living in the City or even being a Freeman of The City.

Hope you find this of interest!?

If your Aunty had em' she'd be your uncle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Columbus1492 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2011 at 10:37am
Hello Bro Crhis,

It is interesting indeed. I did attend last spring an international conference (ICHF) sponsored by RoS in US. I wish I would have known about about this earlier. In any case it is very likely that membership criteria to RoS in US is different so I'll keep an eye on it.

Regarding the CBCS(KBCH), I hear that the work in these Lodges has deep esoteric content. Is this the case in England? Do the members present research as in, say, the SRIA colleges?
davelakin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davelakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 7:40pm
This has been a very interesting read.  Too bad the topic dropped off...

Edited by davelakin - December/19/2012 at 7:43pm
Sine labore nihil
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2015 at 3:14am
This could be a land mind, bringing an old thread to life again.

I am a Grade IV in my current states SRICF College.  I loved the ritual and thought the explanations of various things were wonderful.  If our college is anything like others (I don't know) the membership is not full.  At the last meeting I was able to attend we had 55 members so still room to grow.  With that being said the Chief Adept made it clear not to invite a brother just because.  The brother needed to inclined to thinking and not looking for another degree or title.
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic