Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Masonic Associated Organizations & Forums > York Rite Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why York Rite?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why York Rite?
    Posted: April/19/2010 at 12:19pm

So I have asked the question of which is better the York or Scottish Rite and of course the answer is always "It depends". This is a fair answer. Each offers further light and how much each brother gets out of the Rite depends on his own peronsality and predilections.

Maybe a fairer question to ask is "Why did you choose the York Rite instead of the AASR?"

I open up this question to the brothers on the forum in order to get a better insight into both Rites. I will post a similar question on the AASR forum.
Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
CAMB.MASON View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAMB.MASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 12:42pm

I chosed the York for a few reasons, first at that time all three bodies were in my Temple, where my Blue Lodge was so that was easy.  Second my mentor was a York Rite Mason, so I choose that as well.  Third, I did not like the idea of sitting down and watching a play, I liked being the candidate, even though I know now that some are not always the active candidate in the York Rite.  Festivals and multi candidates can cause a candidate to sit on the sidelines and watch as well.  Fourth, my valley which I would have choosen is in the Grand lodge in Boston, I did not like that, to me too much high rankers, I like the little guys.  Fifth, saw too many times the minute a candidate is raised there were the AASR guys with paper and pen, turn off, took me five years b4 I joined the first of the York bodies.  Been now HP, IM and EC of all three and I am very thankful I went that way.  Sixth,I like the history of the bodies as well, the AASR is from France, I am English, Irish and Scottish, so I like the history of were those bodies got their start.  Seventh, to me it is more of a lodge type meeting, I know the AASR have lodges inside but some of these members do not attend, or even tell you that you should attend them as well.  But as you said, it depends.

Edited by CAMB.MASON - April/19/2010 at 12:47pm
I remain Fraternally Yours:

Curator & Historian
Cambridge Masonic Temple Cambridge, Massachusetts

mm00re View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm00re Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 12:45pm
I am not really sure what kind of an answer you are looking for.  For me personally I will most likely go through each and see how they appeal to me.  I just recently joined the York Rite mainly because it appealed to me the most.  One of my grandfathers was a mason and went with AASR, I may venture into that realm as well but there is always something to learn in blue lodge and if you are still a FC I would recommend that once you get raised I would encourage you to spend some time in your blue lodge first and see what attending lodge is all about.

I don't think there is any way that you can go wrong regardless of the path you chose, there is much to learn all around you and education is the one thing that can never be taken from you.
EA: 11/21/08
FC: 04/21/09
R: 06/27/09
Santa Rosa, No. 16
Mount Horeb Chapter No. 6, Royal Arch Masons
Union Council No. 7, Royal & Select Masters
Coeur De Lion Commandery No. 1, Knights Templar
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 2:20pm
I have many Brothers that I know in all the bodies that are represented, so joining one over another was not about having familiar faces present at meetings.

The reason I chose the path of York Rite first was to complete my Masonic Education. In many parts of the world, the Royal Arch is an actual part of Craft Freemasonry - I felt that York Rite offered a natural extension for me to follow. Most of the Companions and Sir Knights in my York Rite are also members of the Scottish Rite, so there is no animosity there. I will say that there are more Scottish Rite members that are NOT York Rite members (than the other way around) in our area.

I plan to join Scottish Rite in due time, and eventually, petition The Shrine.
I will gladly join OES if my wife expresses interest, and my children are quite welcome to join any Masonic Youth organizations as appropriate, if they so choose.
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
phllip1969 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phllip1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 5:20am
Originally posted by Tarditi Tarditi wrote:

I have many Brothers that I know in all the bodies that are represented, so joining one over another was not about having familiar faces present at meetings.

The reason I chose the path of York Rite first was to complete my Masonic Education. In many parts of the world, the Royal Arch is an actual part of Craft Freemasonry - I felt that York Rite offered a natural extension for me to follow. Most of the Companions and Sir Knights in my York Rite are also members of the Scottish Rite, so there is no animosity there. I will say that there are more Scottish Rite members that are NOT York Rite members (than the other way around) in our area.

I plan to join Scottish Rite in due time, and eventually, petition The Shrine.
I will gladly join OES if my wife expresses interest, and my children are quite welcome to join any Masonic Youth organizations as appropriate, if they so choose.

I am in both Rites (though I sent in my demit to the AASR a couple of days ago) but I went into the York Rite first for these very same reasons . It just seemed the logical end for me  to complete my Masonic education in the Craft lodge degrees first before venturing into the AASR . Unlike many others who warn against it , I went into the YR of my own choosing soon after I was Raised (three months to be exact) and I am glad I did , the Chapter degrees answered many questions I had concerning the first three degrees and gave me better understanding of the Blue Lodge , and this in turn helped me be a better officer/member of my lodge .

Edited by phllip1969 - April/20/2010 at 5:21am
lightseeker357 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightseeker357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 8:50pm
Although this thread was started by another brother, I learned a lot watching the posts.  And it does make sense to continue on the path of craft masonry first and going through the York Rite.  I have seen since being in the south that York Rite, although not exclusive is more popular than the AASR, as far as I have seen...I wonder why that is?
MWPHGLNC
Ecclesiastes Lodge #818
http://www.ecclesiastes818.com/
MEGCHRAMNC
St. James Chapter #77 HRAM
Lewis Mingo Consistory #316

"A Lifetime Apprentice."
KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 10:02pm
I always tell Brothers that ask this, that the York Rite completes the 3rd degree because without the YR the 3rd degree is a song partly sung, a story only half told.  I strongly believe that every Christian Master Mason should go through the York Rite.  The Order of the Temple is probably the single most beautiful ceremony I've seen.

I am also a student of history and especially of the Middle Ages.  The Crusades has always fascinated me and was thus drawn to the body that had the Order of the Temple in it.
"For thou art my lamp, O Lord: and the Lord will lighten my darkness." -- 2 Samuel 22:29

Traveling Templar - 25AUG2014
phllip1969 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phllip1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 5:58am
Originally posted by KSigMason KSigMason wrote:

.  I strongly believe that every Christian Master Mason should go through the York Rite. 

I strongly believe that every Master Mason should go through the Chapter and Council degrees of the York Rite , no matter what religious path they follow .
Stormy View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 6:40am
Originally posted by lightseeker357 lightseeker357 wrote:

Although this thread was started by another brother, I learned a lot watching the posts.  And it does make sense to continue on the path of craft masonry first and going through the York Rite.  I have seen since being in the south that York Rite, although not exclusive is more popular than the AASR, as far as I have seen...I wonder why that is?

Lightseeker,

I live in Alabama, and it seems, here in north Alabama at least. that  the AASR is a lot more popular. I do not think this has always been so, but at least in the last 10 years it seems to be the case. I'm a member of both rites as well, but I value my York Rite most.
Secretary, Somerville Lodge #721 F:.&A:.M:.

"One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane," Nikola Tesla
MO2010 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 7:47am
I have been told by brothers in the AASR that the Scottish Rite also contains degrees based on the templar Legend.

What do you brothers think of that?

Also it may be interesting to note that I posted the question on both York Rite and AASR rite forums but have received more responses on this thread.
Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 7:55am
I would partially agree - there are some lessons that overlap between bodies, there are some that are particular to YR and some to SR.

The SR degrees are not exactly the same between NJ and SJ either.
Albert Pike labored to re-work the degrees, so what you see in modern days is largely attributable to his efforts.

The degrees in the Royal Arch and Cryptic Council as well as the Orders of the Commandery have different historical lineage - some only really of interest to those who have recieved them.

They are not interchangable, nor are they mutually exclusive.
Join both, one-or-another, or neither - that is entirely up to you.

I recommend doing as much as you can to enlighten yourself, but only join if you can participate and contribute. Each to the limits of their own schedules, budgets, and obligations.
Dustin Tarditi, PM
MO2010 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 8:32am

Bro Dustin,

Thanks again. Your last sentence carries some good advice. As a new Mason, and with a personality the lends itself to it, I have to really fight the desire to join, join,join once I am raised. (next wednesday Tongue) It has many times been types across this forum that young brothers should cool their jets and take some time in their mother Lodge before moving further in their search for light. I can see the wisdom in those words but it is not always easy to dampen a young Masons enthusiasm.
I wish to fully absorb the lessons the craft has and labor in the quarry. Right now my time is limited and so I am looking at the Shrine or the Grotto becuse in my opinion, given their nature, they don't seem to advance my Masonic education in anyway. Plus they may provide an opporunity for my wife to socialize with the brethren. Once it is time for me to seek further light I will naturally look at either of the Rites. Which leads me to my question

Is it possible to petition the bodies of the YR individually, or must they be petitioned all at once?

Edited by MO2010 - April/21/2010 at 8:32am
Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
CAMB.MASON View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAMB.MASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 8:40am
here in Mass. we have a three part application, one Chapter, one Council , one Commandery, we do like to sign you up for all three.  There is nothing that stops you from just joining the Chapter, or just the Council and Chapter.  I have some brethren in my Chapter who are just that, members of the Chapter only, they never went any higher.  This is one of the nice things of York Rite, you do not have to go any futher.  Or at least in my Jurisdiction, again check with your GYork Bodies and see what they say.
I remain Fraternally Yours:

Curator & Historian
Cambridge Masonic Temple Cambridge, Massachusetts

Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 8:48am
I wouldn't suggest dampening a young Mason's enthusiasm - perhaps just help him direct and focus it. There is always plenty to do.

Regarding the bodies of the YR, it depends on your YR, really.
In some areas, the Chapter, Council, and Commandery do not meet at the same place, and in some cases, the same date. Some places do not have a Commandery, for instance, and the closest one may be 1 hour away.

Where I live (Raleigh, NC), they all meet together and alternate: first 4 mos is Chapter, second 4 mos is Council, 3rd 4 mos is Commandery.  Our petition is for all 3 bodies at once.
We have 2 Festivals per year, 1 in the Spring and 1 in the fall. We also confers the Super Excellent Master (1x per year) degree of the Cryptic Council. As this degree is honorary, it is optional, and some Councils do not confer it.
Dustin Tarditi, PM
MO2010 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MO2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 8:52am
I am extremely lucky where I am. Our Lodge building hosts the York Rite and AASR Valley, aswell as OES.
Lamh Laidir an Uchtair
pmccoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 1:58am
what is aasr and prince hall and scotish rite
perry mccoy
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 11:57am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Rite (Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry or "Scottish Rite")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Hall_Freemasonry
Dustin Tarditi, PM
Champagne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 6:37am
When i was raised I joined the AASR right away because my mentor was AASR. I asked him the same question and he said "its all the same", I have been in the AASR for a few years now and just started my YR journey.

In my opinion the AASR is pretty cool, fun being in the degrees and participating. At this point in my life I have only taken the Mark Master Degree and the Virtual Past Master Degree.

Honestly I have to admit the Mark master is probably one of my favorites in all of masonry I have ever taken.

The AASr degrees are cool, but honestly none of them that I have taken have made such a lasting impression as the 3 degrees of blue lodge and the amrk master degree.

The shrine is not educational and just about having fun. I personally dont really do very much with it.
SW-Wayne Lodge 416
VM-Knights of St Andrew Valley of Rochester, NY AASR
Hiram 62 RAM
KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 11:46am
This is my opinion only.
  • The Scottish Rite is the philosophical branch
  • The York Rite is the historical (for the Commandery the Christian branch)
  • Shriners are the college fraternity of the Masons
"For thou art my lamp, O Lord: and the Lord will lighten my darkness." -- 2 Samuel 22:29

Traveling Templar - 25AUG2014
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 4:41pm
Makes sense to me.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
lightseeker357 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightseeker357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 4:50pm
I have now been through Holy Royal Arch and Scottish Rite. And I must say that I enjoy them both!...They both have much to offer...I would suggest that if the budget and time fits!...Go up both sides!Wink
MWPHGLNC
Ecclesiastes Lodge #818
http://www.ecclesiastes818.com/
MEGCHRAMNC
St. James Chapter #77 HRAM
Lewis Mingo Consistory #316

"A Lifetime Apprentice."
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by KSigMason KSigMason wrote:

This is my opinion only.
  • The Scottish Rite is the philosophical branch
  • The York Rite is the historical (for the Commandery the Christian branch)
  • Shriners are the college fraternity of the Masons

Nicely put - I shall unashamedly plagiarise this.
The Carrington Lodge (WAC 363)
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
18th Boucaut RC (AASR Australia 5)
The Carrington Lodge

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic