Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > Hobbies & Special Interests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martial Arts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McLen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martial Arts?
    Posted: May/14/2010 at 9:46am

Greetings bretheren,

Just seeing how many, if at all, of us are involved in martial arts.  I'm involved with competitive judo, and train at the USA Judo National Training Site at the Jason Morris Judo Center (JMJC for short :) ).  Anyone else?
150man View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 150man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 10:40am
I studied tae kwon do from the age of 9 till I was 19.  I studied at champion tae kwon do academy in Illinois back in the late 80's, early 90's.  I was a member of the ATA and was a pretty decent in tournament sparring and forms.  Now that my kids are school age I've been thinking about getting back into it.  Not sure I can do the splits anymore though, lol.
Pleiades Lodge 478
Illumination Lodge No. 5
Old Chicago York Rite Bodies
Medinah Shriners
Valley of Chicago
Illuminati AMD Council No 495
www.livingstonesmagazine.com

D-Squared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Squared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by 150man 150man wrote:

I studied tae kwon do from the age of 9 till I was 19.  I studied at champion tae kwon do academy in Illinois back in the late 80's, early 90's.  I was a member of the ATA and was a pretty decent in tournament sparring and forms.  Now that my kids are school age I've been thinking about getting back into it.  Not sure I can do the splits anymore though, lol.

I to did Tae Kwon Do! I have a red belt in it from Tiger Tae Kwon Do, I quit because of a few sad reason that made it hard for me to even think about going back. I wont be a downer in this thread though!
Stuntman98 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuntman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:57am
I Studied Shaolin Kenpo Karate under the skilled eye of Master Jerry Ingle [6th Dan], and Sensei Carmen Williams [4th Dan](who was also my music instructer in middles school) in tallahassee florida for 12 years, i earned the degree of 1st Dan or shodan. In 2003 in studied Shorin Kung Fu Under Grandmaster Brigham and obtain the rank of 1st kyu.  Thats about it.
S.S. Sons of Light No.77
P.M. Pride of The Walton No.110
MWPHGL Washington
District No.9

SPAIN MILITARY CONSISTORY #99 AASR,PHA
3DistinctKnocks View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3DistinctKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 5:23am
Aikido here...for work purposes.  Many of our physical intervention techniques are based on Aikido, so I figured I would study up on the art.  I like it.
Past Master
Pontotoc Lodge #81 F.&A.M.
OES Pontotoc Chapter #42
The Trestle Board
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 6:44am

Originally posted by 3DistinctKnocks 3DistinctKnocks wrote:

Aikido here...for work purposes.  Many of our physical intervention techniques are based on Aikido, so I figured I would study up on the art.  I like it.

Now we know the power of the head on the keyboard.Confused
I will be NICE to you.(gulp)Balls%20Hit
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 8:32am
I took Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido but left that school two years ago because they were de-emphasizing Hapkido, which is closely related to Aikido. Jujutsu is taught at the YMCA locally, and since it is also related to Hapkido, I am seriously considering going there in the Fall.
Free State Boer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Free State Boer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 5:47am
Did Karate (JKA) for about 12 years, not so active anymore, but need to get back into it again. Just have some many lodges meetings no time Big smile

FSB

Edited by Free State Boer - July/24/2010 at 5:50am
In Hoc Signo Vinces
In This Sign Conquer
squarehead View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 11:02pm
I took TKD and Hapkido when I was younger, but I've recently found a liking to Sanda Kickboxing and MMA. I train at Redline Fightsports in Cambridge, MA ... Home of Marvin Perry
MWPHGLTX F A&M
NEW LIGHT LODGE#242
MT. SINAI CHAPTER #42
SOUTH CENTRAL COMMANDERY #37
NUBIA TEMPLE #191 (AEAONMS)
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A

"Seek first to understand, Then to be understood."  &nbs
ArthurGang View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 1:33pm
I'm fairly new at it, but have been training Wing Chun Kung Fu for the past few months. I really like it.
Makaveli4eva71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makaveli4eva71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 12:51am
I did hapkido for a while but stopped want to get back into it or maybe something new
Mozart #121 Cherry Hill NJ
Initiated: 10/19/2010
Passed: 11/30/2010
Raised: 02/15/2011
Whips View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Stuntman98 Stuntman98 wrote:

I Studied Shaolin Kenpo Karate under the skilled eye of Master Jerry Ingle [6th Dan], and Sensei Carmen Williams [4th Dan](who was also my music instructer in middles school) in tallahassee florida for 12 years, i earned the degree of 1st Dan or shodan. In 2003 in studied Shorin Kung Fu Under Grandmaster Brigham and obtain the rank of 1st kyu.  Thats about it.

NeverHeard of shaolin and kempo karate as an art. Japan and china do not like to intermix martial arts. Must have been a marketing thing.

I had to google it. Just as I suspected. Very interesting. Any training is better than no training.

Me I got fundamental in boxing. But switched to, aikido, now I prefer muaythai kickboxing. For the cardio.

Edited by Whips - April/16/2011 at 8:57am
o_O
Micheal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 5:08pm
Oh yes. It used to be a huge part of my life as a child&teenager, but more a hobby now to keep the pints at bay.

I started TKD as a child at the age of 6, then left for a skito-ryu Karate dojo that also did Kickboxing and Shoot wrestling after I recieved my Black Belt. The dojo moved, so I wrestled in High School, and did Bujinkan a year before enlisting in the Marines, where we were trained in MCMAP. After my stint, and moving over here, I got tired of just laying around the house after work, and found an MMA&seperate Kickboxing gym in June of 09, and been doing that since. I waned away from MMA about 9 months ago because the Kickboxing required more weekly attendance as you progressed(it had a belt system), but moved house further from Belfast, and can't afford to make the trip as many times, so I'm actually going to call it quits and go back to the MMA place. I miss the ground stuff, and they've since started training on more days if I'm able to make it out more often in the future.
Entered 01/04/2010
Passed 02/11/2010
Raised 05/04/2011

"Keep within compass and you shall be sure, to avoid many troubles which others endure."
EJW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 5:38pm
I did kyokushin for 3-4 years when I was younger and Jujitsu for the last 2 years or so. Recently had to give up as I can't afford the fees anymore, being a poor student and all LOL. The one in my home town is really cheap though, so I just go there when I can.
Lodge Tongariro No.705 (EC)
lightseeker357 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightseeker357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 8:15am
I used to be pretty active in Wing Chun, (Ip Man lineage) until moving away from Michigan.  Have not been very active since.
MWPHGLNC
Ecclesiastes Lodge #818
http://www.ecclesiastes818.com/
MEGCHRAMNC
St. James Chapter #77 HRAM
Lewis Mingo Consistory #316

"A Lifetime Apprentice."
olipie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olipie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 8:11am
I did tae kwon do when I was 6 until I was 18.  I stopped as it was already getting ahead of my schooling. Ihad to choose and followed my folk's advice at that. I remember when our center joined the local competition and I was still a yellow belt, having just started months earlier, I was made to wear a black belt. And I do not think that's legal considering the discipline.
Southpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 9:20am
I've been training Wing Chun for over 10 years, and have been training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Royce Gracie for about 5 years.

Micheal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 12:42pm
I went back to MMA this passed Friday. Haven't done any ground work in a while, so needless to say I'm still sore 3 days later.

Whoa, being schooled in BJJ under one of the main men himself! Nice.
Entered 01/04/2010
Passed 02/11/2010
Raised 05/04/2011

"Keep within compass and you shall be sure, to avoid many troubles which others endure."
smilin assassin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilin assassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 9:31am
Studing Wushu for about 10 years now, barehands and weapons. Don't get to train like a mad man anymore due to work and family obligations.
Wise men listen and laugh while fools talk.

http://www.ilmason.org/
http://www.ram-il.org/index.htm
GaryE View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2011 at 12:25pm
I studied Tang Soo Do as a teenager. I stopped just short of getting my black belt. I had a red belt with black stripe. School obligations kept me from continuing.  I'm not as flexible as I used to be, so if I decide to get back in to martial arts, I'll likely choose another style.
DefenseEngineer View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefenseEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2011 at 6:29am
crelone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crelone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 4:22pm
I didn't get in to it till I was 25 but studied Isshin Ryu up until I had to close my school 2 years ago. I can't tell you how much I miss it. I've have a few physical injuries in the past year that have kept me from training but I'm getting better ;)
KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 3:32pm
I used to practice Shotokan Karate years ago.  I made it to my Brown Belt and would like to rejoin if I had more time.
Bro. Barry E. Newell

Traveling Templar - 04MAR2017
jbutler View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 9:35am
I am a Il Dan (1st Deg.) Black Belt in Choi Kwang Do, Brown Belt in Tang Soo Do / Mu Duk Kwan and have studied Jiu jitsu informally.   I have not been involved with the Martial Arts in over 9 years now, but have been considering joining up at a Tracy Kenpo studio here in my home town.  Just comes down to finding the time.
MaestroJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaestroJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 9:17am
I studied just once a week for eleven years a very "Americanized" collection of Kenpo Karate, Kung-Fu, Jiu-Jitsu, and Street Fighting until our studio closed. I was never part of any competition there; I was in it for the self-defense and meditation. It's made me a very limber person. I know I want to return to it one day.
Colin338 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 8:32pm
I studied 2 styles of karate, and tae kwon do . But I had to give it up do to an injury. The body isnt as young as it used to be. If it wasnt for the inhury I would love to go back.
Stormriderjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormriderjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 1:58pm

Studied Isshinryu karate and Jiu-Jitsu off an on for years. It was a great background for when I went into the army.  I tried to start up again a couple years ago, but now I take to long to heal. 

Secretary @ Larrabee 131
Stilesville, IN
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 3:34pm
I joined a Judo/Karate/Jiu-jitsu self-defense club in South Boston, MA. in 1968 and worked-out till 1984.  I have a shodan in Judo (USJA); a shodan in Goju Ryu Karate; and a shodan in Hakko ryu Jiu jitsu.  I have high kyu ranks in Kendo, Uechi Ryu Karate, Shotokan Karate; and kyudo (archery).  I also have a sankyu in Go (Japanese chess).

In the 1970s I competed in Judo in the 176 lb class.  As a 17 year old Ikkyu I competed against sandan Jimmy Pedro SENIOR in the local shiais (before his son was born).  I worked out in Tohoku under Charlie Chevez and at the Massasoit Judo Club under Jimmy Pedro (all in the 70s).  I attended Camp Olympus Target 76 olympic training in West Virginai in1974 and worked out with Anton Geesink and the Austrian National Judo Team, and Allen Coage and Jim Bregman.

The martial arts and Budo and philosophy are my main sources of study, entertainment, and workouts.  I have been following them since 1968.

P.S. I am new to this forum and not a Mason.
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
liuyelian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liuyelian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2013 at 12:10am
Now that my kids are school age I've been thinking about getting back into it.  Not sure I can do the splits anymore though, lol.
-=The Dali Cheap Diablo 3 Gold
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2013 at 6:54pm
When I was a boy I studied Judo and Aikido at the local rec center, and wrestled grade-through-high school. Practiced military combatives for several years in the Army, and now my son and I study Tang Soo Do together. Working with family is the most rewarding - he and I enjoy the exercise and study, and it strengthens our bond together.
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2013 at 12:48pm
I have always been curious- how are Tang Soo Do and Tea Kwon Do different?
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2013 at 3:37pm
Tang Soo Do is "Way of the Tang (dynasty) Hand" - cousin to Tae Kwon Do; one could even say TKD was born from Tang Soo Do roots.

Tang Soo Do was practiced in Korea and largely the only Korean martial art at the time - during Japanese occupation, only Japanese martial arts were to be practiced, however.

General Choi formed TKD as a distinctive Korean art (he felt that Tang Soo Do didn't sound Korean enough) with 9 original Kwans, and through heavy Korean state promotion and backing (political/financial) it became one of the most popular martial arts and an Olympic sport.

From a practice stand point, TKD makes particular mention of military background (many military forces adopted TKD or formed their own style of combatives with heavy TKD influence); and there are a lot more "dynamic" moves, like the flying 540 kick that make for great demonstrations, but are of questionable use in actual tournament or combat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_Soo_Do has a lot of the basic history. 

This book shares the colorful background, and even some of the heavy-handed politics and balyhoo that went into making TKD as popular as it is: http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Art-Untold-History-Kwon/dp/1770410228
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 4:17pm
I am MMA fan, if that counts?
-gil
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 7:46pm
I'm a 1st degree black belt in Taekwondo....Kukkiwon style.  I started when I was 40, almost 41.  I'm 46 now and getting ready to test for 2nd degree
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2014 at 2:30pm
I'm a shodan in Shotokan Karate and a nidan in Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu. I no longer compete but still keep my skills as sharp as possible.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 12:39pm
Hi,

JUDO, USJA, Shodan, began Judo in 1968.

Hakko Ryu Jiu Jitsu, shodan, began in 1968

Uechi Ryu Karate, shodan, began in 1968.

I belonged to a self-defense 'dojo' and learned JUDO/KARATE/JIU-JITSU for self-defense. We were not a 'competition' club like Tohoku or Jimmy Pedro Sr.'s club.
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 12:43pm
I was referring to Jimmy Pedro Sr.'s old Massasoit Judo Club which my dojo competed against a long time ago.
jdwalker519 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdwalker519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2015 at 11:22am
I finally made it!  I'm a 2nd degree black belt now!  
J.D. Walker
Free and Accepted Masons of the District of Columbia
Royal Arch of the District of Columbia
Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Virginia
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2015 at 11:48am
Congratulations!
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
JG26_Irish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JG26_Irish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2015 at 11:32am
I studied Shaolin-do Karate first under Grand Master Sin Kwan The' and later under Master Bill Leonard in Lexington, KY  And advanced training again under the Grand Master.  Started in 1976 and stopped active training in 1988.  Achieved rank of 1st degree Black Belt (Shodan) in 1981.  Learned most of the material for 2nd deg but stopped due to a very ill child.  Still practice some of the internal arts like, Tai Chi, Ho Tien Chi, Shin Tien Chi, and Ie Ching, and the Iron Man techniques.  I served for many years on the Shaolin Black Belt Council.  I still count Master Lenonard and Grand Master The' and good friends.

Really enjoyed learning the animal systems such as the Snake, White Crane, Tiger, Bird, Dragon and Monkey.  Never really mastered any of them but learned some of each.  The ancient weapons training with cane/walking stick, staff, nunchaku, swords, double hook swords, Kwan-Do, Sai and others were fun and interesting if only a little out dates and semi-useless.  But the mind-set that it instilled led me to study the art of the use of more modern hand held weaponry to supplement the ancient tools of the trade. 

Starting about 1986 I became a student of Col. Cooper and worked hard to master the various newer tools from 15 and 16 to M60 and 1911.  I saw this as a logical extension of the martial artists role in the modern world.  After all, how often is one confronted with a Kwon-Do wielding opponent?  :o)

Irish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic