Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PHA > Prince Hall Affiliated
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Masonic dress for meetings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHA614419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masonic dress for meetings
    Posted: August/15/2010 at 11:42am

I was invited to a lodge by my co-worker he is considered MS. During our general conversation I told him I had to get my suit out of the cleaners. He told me not to worry about that just bring my apron I can wear street clothes. Is this common? I have always been told during "Meeting night" I am to come in Masonic dress.

Gloria Lodge #89 F&AM PHA
L.D. Easton Consistory No. 21
Columbus,Oh

M.W.P.H.G.L OF OHIO

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 11:54am
some lodges allow for casual dress all the time, some allow for it in the summer months, some require coat and tie all the time.  It is up to the master of the lodge. 
When I travel I ALWAYS wear a coat and tie regardless of the lodge dress code.  I feel it is the best way to represent MY lodge and my Worshipful Master.
Mr Bigs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by PHA614419 PHA614419 wrote:

I was invited to a lodge by my co-worker he is considered MS. During our general conversation I told him I had to get my suit out of the cleaners. He told me not to worry about that just bring my apron I can wear street clothes. Is this common? I have always been told during "Meeting night" I am to come in Masonic dress.

It is not common but is not out of the ordinary. I would say most lodges want dress attire which means a tux for officers and dark suit for everyone else.
aogop View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aogop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 12:59pm
Interesting thread.  2 weeks ago our GL sponsored an outdoor MM degree at our Masonic Park in Granite Falls and invited the members of the GL of British Columbia as well as our PHA brethren.  The dress code was casual, as it is a campground and many of the attendees were camping after all...

The vast majority of us from WA and surrounding States were in shorts or jeans, but not one person from BC came without at least a tie. The PHA contingent were all in suits or tuxes and looked really, really sharp!  I actually felt a bit uncomfortable, sitting there in my jeans while across from me the PHA GL team was seated all in tuxes.   I left feeling that casual clothes did not really pay proper respect to the ceremony or visitors and will be bringing at least a tie depending on weather to the next one.

JerryP.

Shoreline Lodge#248 F&AM

Shoreline, WA.
Jayman View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 4:03pm
Do any PHA lodges dress down?

I have seen pics of some rural MS lodges that do, but I can't say I have ever seen a Prince Hall Mason dressed in less than a very nice business suit.
Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2010 at 7:19pm
In AL, it varies from lodge to lodge. 

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
Pmobile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pmobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 11:52am
WE always wear our black and whites.
NBML #199 F.& A.M. PHA
Reverend Joseph T. Thornton Chapter #59
Shawn G Willis Council #30
E. P. Jones Commandery #05
Nero Prince Military Consistory No. 371

Yokosuka, Japan

MWPHGL of Oklahoma

Mr Bigs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Jayman Jayman wrote:

Do any PHA lodges dress down?

I have seen pics of some rural MS lodges that do, but I can't say I have ever seen a Prince Hall Mason dressed in less than a very nice business suit.
As far as I've seen PHA is no nonsense when it comes to attire. Tux or suit and tie clean & pressed or you won't get in.Clap
excellencee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excellencee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 7:11pm
I just ordered my black tails and black dinner jacket tonight. I stopped by the local tux shop and tails are not stocked. Ordered on line, be here in about a week.
Past Master - Mahoning-New Castle Lodge 243
AASR Valley of New Castle
Hiram's Scottish Riders - Charter Member
Syria Shrine
fireman99 View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireman99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 7:13pm
Please do not take this as disrespect, but you wouldnt let a Brother in your Lodge if he was unable to get a tux or suit.....I believe  it is what is in the Brothers heart that counts not what is covering him.... BUT I do think the attire (if possible) is impressive...never been to any PHA functions but heard they do look sharp.
khaos16 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khaos16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 7:28pm
Fireman99 I suggest you visit a PH lodge and attend a function or two,  with lodge visitation, just give advance notice that you do not have a suit or tux but would still love to visit, I'm pretty sure they wont have much of an issue with it. Visitors get a little more leniency than members.
Truth & Union Lodge #594 F&AM
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A
SquareLevelPlumb View Drop Down
Fellow Craft
Fellow Craft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquareLevelPlumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 7:42pm
Black and Whites all the time. Our last meeting we didnt have to wear jackets.
(It was cooking in thereBig smile)
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by SquareLevelPlumb SquareLevelPlumb wrote:

Black and Whites all the time. Our last meeting we didnt have to wear jackets.
(It was cooking in thereBig smile)
We wear tux's here in West Oz, but do away with the coat & gloves during our Summers.
However, GL officers keep theirs on.

Reminds me of a fella I met in SC........he had his coat on and it WAS hot!LOL
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
BlueMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 8:05pm

My PHA lodge doesn't require Black and White at all meetings as most brothers come after work or are going to work after the meeting.  But on special occasions we do wear our black and white. It is up to the WM.

BlueMan
Watkinsville Lodge No. 21(PHA)
MWPHGL of GA

James G. Ray Chapter #34
Valley of Dan

Athens Consistory #292
Valley of Athens
Orient of Georgia

Sir Knight
Georgia Knights of Pythagoras
khaos16 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khaos16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 8:07pm
Thats because you all's building is Hot!!! I'm bringing a personal fan next visit....LOL
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A
BlueMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 8:11pm
Next time your district visits we will have the air working....lol
BlueMan
MWPHGL of GA

James G. Ray Chapter #34
Valley of Dan

Athens Consistory #292
Valley of Athens
Orient of Georgia

Sir Knight
khaos16 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khaos16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 8:16pm
I hope so. but I did have a great time, 
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A
BlueMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2010 at 8:19pm
My personal theory is if the dress code relaxes on businiess meetings the attendance level increases.
BlueMan
MWPHGL of GA

James G. Ray Chapter #34
Valley of Dan

Athens Consistory #292
Valley of Athens
Orient of Georgia

Sir Knight
fireman99 View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireman99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 8:29am
khaos.... I would guess that what you said to be the more accurate, but MrBig said either tux or suit & tie pressed or you wont get in...I was just curious if that to be the norm.

I do plan to visit a PHA one day but it will involve some actual traveling while traveling......I can only visit within my GL jurisdiction and to the best of my knowledge, the closest is about 100 miles away.
Stuntman98 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuntman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 11:45am
the brothers from the MWPHGL Wa held a raising outside this month as well
S.S. Sons of Light No.77
P.M. Pride of The Walton No.110
MWPHGL Washington
District No.9

SPAIN MILITARY CONSISTORY #99 AASR,PHA
DDGIT Afghanistan WFOT
Grand Technician WFOT
Stuntman98 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuntman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 11:53am
i was was invited to Mt. Pisgah Lodge #53 and i was still in my ACU's I informed the brothers that i dont have black and white, the bros told me that i dont need them because i am a visitor, on eof the brothers even had an extra pair of gloves, i had my own apron!

I not to used to wearing black and white because i was raised in the desert, no black and white in combat you know. but i do own a tux now so i'm ready.
S.S. Sons of Light No.77
P.M. Pride of The Walton No.110
MWPHGL Washington
District No.9

SPAIN MILITARY CONSISTORY #99 AASR,PHA
DDGIT Afghanistan WFOT
Grand Technician WFOT
LBCutta1784 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBCutta1784 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 1:01pm
I'm PHA and my last lodge was very relaxed. We only wore black and white during elections. All meetings were casual and degree work was in lodge polo and slacks. 
New Light Lodge #242 F&AM
Killeen, TX
fresh497 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fresh497 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 9:55am
We always wear black suit and tie, as well. 
Coastal Bend Lodge #497
Corpus Christi, TX
MWPHGL of TX
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.

I Am My Brothers Keeper
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 4:37pm
I'm MS and I've seen some extremely casual lodges.  Something akin to what aogop said.  I have not yet seen Prince Hall Masons at any functions but I have heard that they have a much more restrictive dress code.  I've seen officers come to lodge in their work shirts and jeans, last week in Miami one of the dudes had a Hawaiin shirt and a straw hat on.  Never once have I run in to a lodge that had a prescribed dress code.  I have run in to lodges that all dress with suits/ties, seemingly with no reason to do so.  I believe these lodges contain more active brethren.  I always wear a suit and tie even if I know for a fact I am going to a casual lodge or casual event.

I always get the "You didn't have to dress up at this old thing!" comment whenever I come to Masters and Wardens in a suit.  I believe an entire lodge in tuxedos would be an extremely impressive presence at any event!

Edited by Hyksos - September/07/2010 at 4:39pm
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Hyksos Hyksos wrote:

I'm MS and I've seen some extremely casual lodges.  Something akin to what aogop said.  I have not yet seen Prince Hall Masons at any functions but I have heard that they have a much more restrictive dress code.  I've seen officers come to lodge in their work shirts and jeans, last week in Miami one of the dudes had a Hawaiin shirt and a straw hat on.  Never once have I run in to a lodge that had a prescribed dress code.  I have run in to lodges that all dress with suits/ties, seemingly with no reason to do so.  I believe these lodges contain more active brethren.  I always wear a suit and tie even if I know for a fact I am going to a casual lodge or casual event.

I always get the "You didn't have to dress up at this old thing!" comment whenever I come to Masters and Wardens in a suit.  I believe an entire lodge in tuxedos would be an extremely impressive presence at any event!
Then you must come over here to Oz, where this is the norm.Wink
When one sees us all in tuxedos, one can't help but be impressed.

When I was about 11 or 12, I was hanging out with a bunch of other kids one evening and we observed all these gentlemen getting put of their cars and they all were wearing tuxedos. Damn, I was impressed and at the time as I did not know they were Freemasons.

I still remember that night, like it was yesterday.

Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
fireman99 View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireman99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 10:09pm
Sounds like opening a tuxedo shop near the Masonic Lodges in Australia would be a good business venture...........
smilin assassin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilin assassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 7:26pm
I'm old school..I follow the old timers example, they always were suits.
There is a lodge I visit and they have gotten extremely casual. I saw shorts, tshirts, and crocs last week.

There should be some sort of effort made at least.
Wise men listen and laugh while fools talk.

http://www.ilmason.org/
http://www.ram-il.org/index.htm
Buckcorncobb View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckcorncobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 8:17am
I like to see at least sport coats but have seen the whole range except for tuxs-except for when the DDGM visits and it is usually just him and his officer. It is really the choice of the WM . To be honest with you I really don't care what a brother wears just as long as he shows up .
mrgregory29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgregory29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 7:50pm
I'm the WM of my lodge and for business meetings and proficiency we wear polo shirts and black slacks. For Degree work we where full suit and tie.
St. James Lodge #229
James Crane Ch. #37 H.R.A.M
MWPHGL F.& A.M. Jurisdiction of Oklahoma
MWPGMNE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MWPGMNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 9:32am
my lodge ANchor Lodge #14 here in Nebraska utilizes Black and White at all meetings.  When there is an event like a picnic or childrens party it is casual.  When we visit another lodge either in state or out of state we wear black and white.  Old school creates a great impression
MWPHGL of Nebraska
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic