Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What would you like to see changed or improved?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat would you like to see changed or improved?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2015 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Nero Nero wrote:

There are no rules in Ky concerning the "2B1 Ask1" stickers , many Ky Masons have them on their vehicles . Nor does one KY man speak for my entire grand jurisdiction concerning taillight or any other stickers , decals , pins etc; etc; . Why you try to constantly pass this stuff off as fact Cemab4y is beyond me .

I realize that there is no rule in KY, specifically forbidding the use of a sticker on your vehicle. BUT- I have been informed by men I respect, that the GL of KY does not "approve" or "like" such stickers. These men attend the GL sessions frequently, and speak regularly to GL officers. I believe that what they related to me, is the "feeling" of some of the GL leadership. I got their meaning immediately, and decided to follow their advice. What possible reason would these men have to make this up?

again, for the record: I do NOT speak for any lodge, nor any Grand Lodge, nor any appendant/concordant body. I only pass on what I have been told, and what I understand.

Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2015 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

Originally posted by eagle-751 eagle-751 wrote:

I was given a few of the 2B1ASK1 bumper stickers, I do not have any on my cars. Maybe some day, but not yet.

WHY NOT???

If it only gets ONE person to join... it's helping.  It's helping nothing if it's not there to be seen.  

I feel like it's bragging or something. I have a small Square and Compasses on the back glass of my truck. Nothing on ether car. I don't fell it's a bad thing or any thing.
 As to membership in our Lodge we are up, 6 new members last year ( lost 4 due to death ) 5 new EA's this year.
 We are all entitled to our own opinion. It would be a boring like if we all agreed and everything was one way.  
Past Master ( 2014 - 2015 )
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
eagle-751 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2015 at 3:50pm

In effort to keep in the scope of the thread:  I would like to see the change that EVERY brother displays an emblem of some sort on their vehicle ( I have 5, 3 blue lodge, one lodge of perfection, and one 32nd).  Wear hats, wear shirts, a jacket, a ring, a necklace ( I have, and wear, all but a jacket)  Men are supposed to come of their own free will and accord, but there is nothing wrong with advertising, and sparking the initial interest.

There is nothing wrong with that. I have a hat ( may have had it on two or three times )( I just can't stand to wear a hat ), a ring that I wear to every meeting.( only to meetings, I don't like to have something that heave on my finger) and I bunch of shirts ( pull over and button up ) that I do wear all the time. I am in York Rite and only display the eye foundation sticker, not a Templar emblem.
 Again nothing wrong those that do. Not for me yet. After this year maybe I will display the Past Master emblem... Maybe. ( again this is only MY opinion )
Past Master ( 2014 - 2015 )
Riddle Lodge No. 315
24th Masonic District
Grand Lodge of Ohio
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2015 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by cemab4y cemab4y wrote:

Originally posted by BigBob BigBob wrote:

Originally posted by YES YES wrote:

<P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" ="Msonormal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">

…our (unchartered) New York lodge, operating in Iraq…
<O:P></O:P></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" ="Msonormal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Was it operating Under Dispensation (UD)?  If not it was irregular/clandestine.<O:P></O:P></SPAN>

Given the back and forth so far I cannot see what this question has to do with thread topic. 

Getting back to what changes I'd like to see . . . other than webpages.

I for one would like to see more time and effort dedicated to enhancing the experince of new candidates/members. Stop pushing people through the degrees.  With that said, I'd also like to see "business" meeting kept to once a month. Nothing worse that talking about roof repairs or NPD's every meeting.  

Double Thumbs up, Big Bob! Most business meetings are B-O-R-I-N-G. Reading the water bill, getting the exact amount for insurance, on and on.

Most routine business matters should be handled in executive session, and the secretary and/or treasurer should be permitted to handle all expenditures below a cutoff point, example: $200.

And reading the minutes of the previous meeting, can be eliminated. The minutes should be published on the lodge web page. The members can read them on-line, and then at the state meeting, vote to approve.

My lodge meets in a building it owns and which has two commercial tenants. Some years ago we set up a 'Lodge Company' which is registered as a company with the government. All paid-up lodge members are equal shareholders. Each year we elect a Board of Governors who handle all business matters and it has its own bank account. Therefore, except in exceptional circumstances, matters concerning the building, etc. are not discussed in Open Lodge. It is a system that has worked well for over 20 years now.
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 9:46am
I have found some excellent links.

The Masonic Restoration Foundation, is an organization, which is working towards many of the goals that I (and other Masons) have been in favor of for many years.

Please see:

http://www.masonicrestorationfoundation.org

The MRF is working towards assisting lodges and Grand Lodges in improving and modernizing the Masonic EXPERIENCE . And the "experience of Masonic Labor".

Please check out their website. We can keep true to our roots, and also make Masonry more relevant to the 21st century man.

Edited by cemab4y - March/31/2015 at 9:47am
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 9:51am
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 12:14pm
Here is a Masonic Manifesto:

http://xoriente.com/?p=212

(DISCLAIMER: Any links that I post here, are for informational purposes and discussion purposes ONLY. I do NOT necessarily endorse nor agree with any of the statements in the links)

Edited by cemab4y - March/31/2015 at 12:14pm
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2015 at 11:19pm
UGLE restored relations with GLNF in June 2014

Edited by Cookslc - March/31/2015 at 11:20pm
G A Cook
F&AM of Utah
AF&AM of Oklahoma
UGLE
Nero View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2015 at 4:25pm
I can tell you this , I too am a regular at Grand Lodge sessions , i have only missed one in all my years as a Mason . Not only do I chat with Grand Line officers , i have been one . And they have never mentioned nor care about anything as trivial as 2B1 ASK1 bumper stickers or taillight decals . Sorry , but who ever has been informing you of this "feeling" is flat out wrong .

But that was not the point of my post . I dont care who told you this , if it is not in black and white in our constitution , then you are posting falsehoods . Someone can tell you Grandline officers said a lot of things , still doesn't make them true .

cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2015 at 5:29pm
If the GL of KY is comfortable with the sticker, no one will be more glad than I.

All I know is what I have been told, by men I respect. If they gave me incorrect or mistaken information, then I apologize.

I am 1000% in favor of the 2b1 bumper sticker. The GL of NY gave me several, and I handed them out to friends, both here in the USA, and abroad.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2015 at 12:27am
Oh, the things I have been told as "fact" over the years. The funniest was a ritual matter. I corrected a member of a Lodge on a minor matter. He said I was wrong. I showed him my copy of the official clear text ritual (one of two). He looked at it and declared it incorrect.
G A Cook
F&AM of Utah
AF&AM of Oklahoma
UGLE
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2015 at 9:26am

"In fact, the Grand Lodge of Kentucky has forbidden the "2B1 ASK1" bumper sticker." 

http://www.myfreemasonry.com/threads/minding-the-west-gate.20862/page-2

"Kentucky has "banned" the '2B1 ASK1' bumper sticker." 

http://www.freemasonhall.com/community/threads/masonic-commercial.378/

"Kentucky even forbids the "2B1 ASK 1" bumber stickers."

cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2015 at 10:39am
If you see where I inserted the quotation marks. That means that I was told that there is a "ban". Guys, all I know about this, is what men I respect, including a past master of my lodge told me.

I am a trusting man, I took it on trust, that what I was told was true. I had no reason to believe that men I respect, would lie to me.

Have you ever played the parlor game "gossip", or "whisper down the lane"? Statements can get distorted and turned around.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Adept? View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2015 at 11:05am
Perhaps the brothers you got the info from were misinformed, or maybe they misunderstood the info that was presented to them. They unintentionally passed on inaccurate info, and you in turn did the same. Mistakes, and miscommunication happen. I think we have established that Kentucky has no ban on the sticker.

Edited by Adept? - April/02/2015 at 11:21am
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2015 at 7:09am
Dead Horse
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - King
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Adept? View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2015 at 8:41am
Ha! Couldn't have said it better.   
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2015 at 4:28pm
Amen. I suggest that we drop the subject. We all get it.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2015 at 4:40pm
Getting back to the main purpose of this thread. There is a VAST amount of ignorance among the general public, about Freemasonry, and the appendant/concordant bodies.

I would LOVE to see a new "openness" in Freemasonry, and for Lodges and Grand Lodges to do more to increase the public's "literacy" about Freemasonry.

The Grand Lodges of Maryland and Massachusetts have state-wide "open houses", where every lodge in the entire state is open on a Saturday morning. Lodges serve coffee and snacks. Masonic literature and pamphlets are distributed. Masons take visitors on tours of the lodge meeting rooms. Masonic videos are played on TV sets. Some lodges get Ben Franklin impersonators. Some lodges have representatives from the appendant/concordant bodies. Example: Knights Templars in full regalia, and Shriners in fezzes. Often, the youth groups will have representatives appear as well.

The result of these types of events, is a new understanding of the Craft (and the appendants) by the public. Often, membership inquiries are made and a slew of new petitions arrive.

As I said, there is a vast amount of ignorance about our Craft by the public. Our efforts so far, to put Masonry in the public mind, have been "half-vast"!
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2015 at 7:54pm
As I stated on another forum, I believe that the entire culture of Freemasonry (at least in America) needs to change.

On such change should be the adoption of a more lenient stance towards particular lodges on a variety of topics to include masonic ritual. Another would be forming a better relationship between state GLs and the grand bodies of the SR/YR/others.

Freemasonry is a complex organization with an often highly stratified leadership structure. We often talk about all the small things that we would change, or how certain fixes to various proiblems would make masonry better. Because Freemasonry is a complex system, its problems are not the result of one thing and cannot be fixed by addressing one area of the craft.

Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2015 at 9:25pm
Amen to that Bob! I have said for many years, that we need to take a "holistic" approach, and examine the entire structure of Freemasonry (and the appendant/concordant bodies).

For some years, California has had "councils" of Masonically-affiliated groups, meeting regularly, and exchanging ideas, and assisting one another.

I love this concept! All of the groups in the masonic "cafeteria of organizations" can and should be cooperating, and working together. I like to think of the Craft Lodges, and the various appendant bodies, as "fingers on the same hand". If one of the appendant groups needs assistance, then it is in the best interest of all of the groups to render help and assistance. "All for one and one for all", is a great concept.

Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2015 at 6:21pm
Seriously guys, this is getting out of hand. Either PM each other and have this discussion or contact one of the mods/admins and make a complaint.

I think you've made your point.

Edited by Adept? - April/16/2015 at 8:12pm
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Adept? View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2015 at 7:47pm
Bigbob's post is in reference to two posts that I have hidden. The authors of said posts have been private messaged by me. Please keep your posts respectful, and non adversarial or it will be removed and/or the thread will be locked to further posts. Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2015 at 5:46pm
I have been kicking around an idea for many years. I would love to see a "national youth camp", on the model of the Philmont Scout Ranch (New Mexico).

see http://philmontscoutranch.org/

One of the appendant bodies could organize such a camp. Young men and women from all over the USA, could go there for the summer, and receive intense instruction in US History and Civics.

(See the film "Mr. Smith goes to Washington").

This could be a case of life imitating art.

What do you think?
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2015 at 7:52pm

I have been kicking around an idea for many years. I would love to see a "national youth camp", on the model of the Philmont Scout Ranch (New Mexico).

see http://philmontscoutranch.org/

One of the appendant bodies could organize such a camp. Young men and women from all over the USA, could go there for the summer, and receive intense instruction in US History and Civics.

(See the film "Mr. Smith goes to Washington").

This could be a case of life imitating art.

What do you think?

The Craft is distracted enough. Better to have it focus on its "supposed" purpose and try to successfully make good men better, rather than just give the slogan a lot of lip service.
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 8:34am
I have to agree with Coach. Without going into a lot of detail some of our laudable endeavors have led us to lose sight of our basic purpose and in some cases deviate from that. An old-timer once told me that there is nothing in our tenets that requires the Masonic Fraternity as a corporate body to be charitable; the tenets require (or encourage) individual Masons to be charitable. It made a lot of sense to me. In my opinion it would be much better for individual Masons to start things like a national youth camp much as it was individual Masons were instrumental in starting things like the Boy Scouts of America or the YMCA. Those organizations are thriving now. 
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 11:51am
I also agree with Coach and droche, though, Bro. Charles, you do make a good point. Perhaps the best way for us to be influential on youth, aside from Rainbow, Jobies, and DeMolay, would be for Lodges to support, and be seen supporting, organizations like the Boy Scouts and other similar established youth organizations. That infrastructure is already there, and they all need all the help they can get.

Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 4:33pm
The youth organizations are excellent, I agree. BUT, we need to step back and see the big picture. Actor/Freemason Richard Dreyfuss has started the Dreyfuss Initiative.

See

http://www.thedreyfussinitiative.org/

The focus of the initiative is:

Q “To teach our kids how to run our country, before they are called upon to run our country…if we don’t, someone else will run our country.”
- Richard Dreyfuss end Q

The scouts and these other organizations are terrific. No one disputes this.

BUT- In the current educational system in the USA, Teachers are teaching kids how to pass the national achievement tests. Civics/history/government are being left behind.

The national youth camp that I envision (I admit I got the idea from the film), will help fill the gap. Kids from all over the USA, would spend the summer in the camp, and receive intensive instruction in civics/history/government/constitution. The afternoons would be for recreational purposes, horseback riding,etc.

We could pattern it after Philmont Scout Ranch.

I ask you: Are you willing to turn over the government of the USA to a generation that does not know basic civics?
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 5:56pm
What you describe Richard Dreyfuss as doing is a perfect example of what I was suggesting. This is Richard Dreyfuss, the individual, taking an initiative, not the Masonic Fraternity as a corporate body. I was only using Scouts and the YMCA as examples. The Richard Dreyfuss Initiative is another fine example. I hope individual Masons along with others will support him if they see fit. I do not want to see the government turned over to a generation that does not know basic civics. Geography is another example of a vital area that has been de-emphasized in schools. But it is not up to the Masonic Fraternity to remedy these and every other shortcoming there is. As a matter of fact it could be dangerous for the Fraternity as a corporate body to get involved in some of these issue because of the political overtones. Individual Masons, yes; Masonry, no. Just my opinion.
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 8:08pm
If you think that the masonic fraternity, should not get involved in an activity like this, then fine. The MW Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Louisiana runs a camp for underprivileged children in their state, They have done so for many years. (Camp Chicota, Evangeline Parish)

The masonic fraternity was responsible for initiating the first public schools in colonial America. Horace Mann (freemason)was a great educational reformer, his reforms are still in place today.

I believe that one of the appendant bodies, like the Scottish Rite, could coordinate and set up a camp like this. And there are no political overtones, just educating children, and giving them a wholesome camp experience.

The costs of setting up the camp, and purchasing the real estate, could be handled by donations. And the tuition for the camp could be charged on a sliding scale, enabling nearly all families to afford it. Individual Scottish Rite valleys could hold fund-raisers, and even sponsor an individual and pay all of the expenses.

The Dreyfuss Initiative is an excellent program. But Dreyfuss is a big Hollywood actor, and he can afford to start a program like this. If you look at the website, you can see where he is asking for donations.

"It takes a village to raise a child" -African Proverb

Edited by cemab4y - May/16/2015 at 8:35pm
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 8:59pm
I have been a public school teacher in Massachusetts for more than 25 years. The first public schools in this country were in Massachusetts and the Masonic Fraternity was not responsible for initiating them. They were established in the 1600's long before the Fraternity as we know it today existed. Horace Mann was also from Massachusetts and was instrumental in establishing the first compulsory education laws in Massachusetts and the nation. I had to study all this in my first education course. Horace Mann did this in his role as a state legislator and Secretary of the Board of Education, not as a Mason. Again, it is an example of a Mason acting as an individual in service to the community. While he might have been guided by Masonic principles, I don't know, but the Fraternity itself played no direct role in any of these activities. In any history of public education in Massachusetts I have studied there is no mention of the Masonic Fraternity being involved, and in the history of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts no mention is made of the Fraternity initiating the first public schools in colonial America. 

The political overtones I mentioned were in the context of the Fraternity establishing programs for the teaching of civics and geography. I never said there would be political overtones in the establishment of a youth camp. In the context of a youth camp, I merely was agreeing with other posters that we are already spread thin. I trust other readers will understand what I said about each issue.

Edited by droche - May/16/2015 at 9:18pm
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 8:06am
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

I have been a public school teacher in Massachusetts for more than 25 years. The first public schools in this country were in Massachusetts and the Masonic Fraternity was not responsible for initiating them. They were established in the 1600's long before the Fraternity as we know it today existed. Horace Mann was also from Massachusetts and was instrumental in establishing the first compulsory education laws in Massachusetts and the nation. I had to study all this in my first education course. Horace Mann did this in his role as a state legislator and Secretary of the Board of Education, not as a Mason. Again, it is an example of a Mason acting as an individual in service to the community. While he might have been guided by Masonic principles, I don't know, but the Fraternity itself played no direct role in any of these activities. In any history of public education in Massachusetts I have studied there is no mention of the Masonic Fraternity being involved, and in the history of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts no mention is made of the Fraternity initiating the first public schools in colonial America. 

The political overtones I mentioned were in the context of the Fraternity establishing programs for the teaching of civics and geography. I never said there would be political overtones in the establishment of a youth camp. In the context of a youth camp, I merely was agreeing with other posters that we are already spread thin. I trust other readers will understand what I said about each issue.

Stating facts just confuses the issue.  cembay4 frequently engages in the fallacy: confusing cause and effect:

1.  A and B regularly occur together.  
2.  Therefore A is the cause of B.

1.  A man is a member of Freemasonry.  The man achieves/accomplishes something.
2.  Therefore Freemasonry is the cause of his achieving/accomplishing something.

While A may be the cause of B, it is not always the case.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 8:31am
Thank you. I realize it is futile to discuss issues with certain people, but if I know that information posted is inaccurate I am going to correct that for the benefit of others reading the posts.   
coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 8:55am

If you think that the masonic fraternity, should not get involved in an activity like this, then fine. The MW Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Louisiana runs a camp for underprivileged children in their state, They have done so for many years. (Camp Chicota, Evangeline Parish)

The masonic fraternity was responsible for initiating the first public schools in colonial America. Horace Mann (freemason)was a great educational reformer, his reforms are still in place today.

I believe that one of the appendant bodies, like the Scottish Rite, could coordinate and set up a camp like this. And there are no political overtones, just educating children, and giving them a wholesome camp experience.

The costs of setting up the camp, and purchasing the real estate, could be handled by donations. And the tuition for the camp could be charged on a sliding scale, enabling nearly all families to afford it. Individual Scottish Rite valleys could hold fund-raisers, and even sponsor an individual and pay all of the expenses.

The Dreyfuss Initiative is an excellent program. But Dreyfuss is a big Hollywood actor, and he can afford to start a program like this. If you look at the website, you can see where he is asking for donations.

Your emotional appeal does not change the reality of the Craft situation. We, as a Craft, are not Properly Raising our own youth (new members). All we collectively do is go through ritualistic motions and there is absolutely no improvement in those who go through these actions.

We slap titles upon them, we slap them on the back and we make every effort to slap them into a role that supports the insanity. Nothing improves whatsoever!

No! As enticing as your rhetoric is, your constant excitement about "let us try this" and "let us try that" detrimentally distracts Good men from the Work that should be done upon themselves so that they, properly prepared, can Travel out in the world and BUILD ON THEIR OWN! Our energies should be in our own preparations and refinements!

Unprepared groups are far more dangerous that an unprepared individual, for in their collective ignorance they can wreck far more havoc upon the world and in directions that may harm multitudes.

Edited by coach - May/17/2015 at 8:57am

cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 8:59am
See:

http://www.msana.com/historyfm.asp

and

"Why Public Schools?" by Henry C Claussen.

Freemasons were instrumental in establishing the first public schools in colonial America. This is not to say that Freemasons actually established the schools.

Throughout our history, Freemasons have consistently supported the expansion of education in our nation.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 9:06am

If you do not think that Freemasonry can or should create a charity/foundation, that is your right. Thankfully, most Masons do not agree with you. If you feel that charitable and humanitarian activities are not in the scope of Freemasonry, I suggest you read this list:

(This is a PARTIAL listing of what Freemasonry (and the appendant/concordant bodies) are doing.

=================

What Freemasonry does…
Simply, Freemasonry builds and advances the character of men to make them better.
Building on principals of moral integrity, Freemasons hold brotherly love as paramount to the benefit of mankind. Whether through charitable acts, or by direct involvement, Freemasonry has dedicated itself to the prosperity of mankind.
On the individual level, Freemasonry builds on moral philosophy, through allegorical symbols to impart rich and complex meanings about the divine. What that means is through Masonic education, individuals are given their own personal building blocks to contribute to the build of their own personal moral character, and then charged with applying that purpose in their day-to-day life.
It does not act to impart religion to its membership, instead it builds on the tenants and virtues taught by all religions, including a faith in the divine, the application of the Golden Rule, and the value of leading a moral virtuous life, all with the drive to put these ideas into personal practice. It promotes the active participation in the member’s individual faith tradition, charging them to build their spiritual character.
Throughout the mason’s life, the lessons of morality and ethics are revisited through the extensions of the various bodies of Freemasonry, building on the principals of Freemasonry. Seldom can a mason say they have learned all of the meanings taught to them through the degrees.
By serving to promote brotherly love masons are now involved in extended levels of charity and benevolence to meet the needs of those least able in society.
To serves as an example, Freemasons are involved in all of these charitable organizations, giving to the needs of others.
•Childhood language disorders
•Treatment for birth defects
•Scholarship and direct grants to children and grandchildren of Scottish Rite Masons as well as to members of DeMolay, Job’s Daughters, Rainbow for Girls, and other
•Masonic youth groups
•Research on diabetes
•A summer camp for underprivileged children
•Arteriosclerosis research
•Christmas Day Dinner for the Des Moines community
•Cancer research
•Training awards for religious leadership and those making religious work their career
•A museum and monument to George Washington
•Grants to students at in Schools of Government and Business
•Administration and International Affairs
•Dental care for handicapped children
•Scholarship assistance to nursing students
•Geriatric research
•Child development for good citizenship and sound character for boys and girls
•Outpatient services for cancer treatment
•Low cost education loans
•Eye surgery and prescription glasses
•Treatment for cancer patients and cancer research support
•Masonic Hospital Visitation Program for V.A. Hospital volunteers
•Research in heart disease, cancer, aging, hypertension, and blood substitutes
•Meeting and performance facilities at the International Peace Garden
•A clearinghouse on Masonic information
•Education of youth about drugs and alcohol
•Ohio Special Olympics
•A non-denominational chapel for mediation and religious services at the International Peace Garden
•Research into the causes and treatment of schizophrenia and related disorders
•Research into auditory perception disorders in children
•A Georgia children’s medical Center
•A museum and library focusing on our American heritage as well as Freemasonry’s role in the history of our country
•The first public library in the District of Columbia
•Scholarships and fellowships for Ph.D. candidates in Public School Administration
•Support for students seeking degrees in fields associated with service to country and humanity Orthopedic services to children through a network of 22 hospitals and treatment for burns victims at four burns centers
•Support for the Muscular Dystrophy Association
•A provider of new shoes for needy Tennessee and Alabama children
•An orthopedic, neuralgic, and child development hospital in Texas
•Operates a clinic for dyslexic and aphasia disorders in children
•Provides needy homeless children in the school district with clothing and toiletries

The following is a brief listing of these American Masonic Charities mentioned above:
Abbott Scottish Rite Scholarship Program
Provides direct grants to children and grandchildren of Scottish Rite masons, as well as members of DeMolay, Job’s Daughters, Rainbow Girls, and other Masonic youth groups.
Supreme Council, 33rd Degree, N.M.J.
P.O. Box 519
33 Marrett Road
Lexington, Massachusetts 02173
(617) 862-4410
Amaranth Diabetes Foundation
(Supports research on diabetes)
The Supreme Council, Order of the Amaranth
Mrs. Ethel B. Fry, Supreme Secretary
2303 Murdoch Avenue
Parkersburg, West Virginia 26101
(304) 485-0423 or (304) 428-1565

I ESPECIALLY LIKE THIS ONE!!!!

Camp Chicota
A summer camp for underprivileged children
Grand Lodge of Louisiana, Prince Hall Affiliation
1335-37 North Boulevard
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70821
(504) 387-0996

Cryptic Masons Medical Research Foundation
Supports arteriosclerosis research
Cryptic Masons Medical Research Foundation
Marion K. Crum, Executive Secretary
Route 4, Box 301
Nashville, Indiana 47448
(812) 988-8655
Des Moines Masonic Christmas Day Dinner
Provides Christmas Day Dinner for the community
Masonic Christmas Day Dinner
Masonic Temple
1011 Locus Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
(515) 244-6011
Eastern Star Cancer Research Project
Supports cancer research
General Grand Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star
1618 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009-2578
(202) 667-4737

Eastern Star Training Awards for Religious Leadership
Supports those who are making religious work their career
(202) 667-4737
Supports the Peace Chapel at the International Peace Garden which
provides a non-denominational chapel for meditation and religious
services
(202) 667-4737
George Washington Masonic National Memorial
A museum and monument to our first President (and a Mason)
George Washington Masonic National Memorial
101 Calahan Drive
Alexandria, Virginia 22301
(703) 683-2007
George Washington University Grants
Provides grants to students in the Schools of Government and
Business Administration and International Affairs and matching
grants for graduate students
Supreme Council, 33rd Degree, Southern Jurisdiction
1733 Sixteenth Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009-3199
*****-SR MASON
Grotto Dentistry for the Handicapped Program
Provides dental care to handicapped children
Supreme Council, M.O.V.P.E.R.
34 N. Fourth Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
(614) 463-9193
Illinois Scottish Rite Nursing Scholarships
Provides scholarship assistance to nursing students throughout
the State of Illinois
Illinois Scottish Rite Fund
Illinois Council of Deliberation
915 N. Dearborn Street
Chicago, Illinois 60610
(312) 787-7605
Indiana Masonic Home Foundation
An endowment which supports the Indiana Masonic Home, a retirement
and convalescence center. Located on 360 acres, is home for over
400 residents.
P. O. Box 44210
525 North Illinois Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46224-0210
(800) 277-4643
Indianapolis Scottish Rite Foundation
Supports geriatric research at the University of Indiana Medical School
Indianapolis Scottish Rite Bodies
650 N. Meridian Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204-1294
(317) 635-2301
International Order of Job’s Daughters
A organization for girls between the ages of eleven and twenty who are relatives of Master Masons
Supreme Guardian Council, International Order of Job’s Daughters
233 West 6th Street
Papillion, Nebraska 68046
(402) 592-7987
International Order of Rainbow for Girls
A organization for girls between the ages of eleven and eighteen who are daughters of Masonic or Eastern Star families or friends of such girls
International Order of Rainbow for Girls
P.O. Box 788
McAlester, Oklahoma 74502
(918) 423-1328
Kansas Masonic Oncology Center
Provides out-patient services for cancer treatment
Kansas Masonic Foundation
320 West 8th Street
P.O. Box 1217
Topeka, Kansas 66601-1217
(913) 357-7646
Knights Templar Educational Foundation
Provides students with low-cost education loans
5097 Elston Ave, Suite 101
Chicago, Illinois 60630-2460
(312) 427-5670
Knights Templar Eye Foundation
Supports eye surgery and prescription glasses
P.O. Box 579
Springfield, Illinois 62705-0579
(217) 523-3838
Minnesota Masonic Cancer Center
Provides treatment for cancer patients and supports research
Masonic Cancer Center Fund, Inc.
1700 West Highway 36, Suite 120
Roseville, Minnesota 55113
(612)639-8433
Masonic Hospital Visitation Program
Provides Masonic volunteers to work with patients at Veterans
Administration and military hospitals
Masonic Services Association of the United States
8120 Fenton Street
Silver Spring, Maryland 20910
(301) 588-4010
Masonic Medical Research Laboratory, Utica, New York
Supports research in heart disease, cancer, aging, hypertension,
and blood substitutes
2150 Bleeker Street
Utica, New York 13501-1787
(315) 735-2217
Masonic Memorial Auditorium, International Peace Garden
Provides meeting and performance facilities for visitors
Grand Lodge of North Dakota
201 14th Avenue North
Fargo, North Dakota 58102
(701) 235-8321
Masonic Services Association of the United States
Serves as a clearing house for Masonic information
National Masonic Foundation for the Prevention of
Drug and Alcohol Abuse Among Children
Supports education for youth about drugs and alcohol
1629 K Street N.W., Suite 606
Washington, D.C. 20006
(202) 331-1933
Ohio Special Olympics
The Masonic Grand Lodge of Ohio sponsors every Ohio Special Olympian at these games
Grand Lodge of Ohio
P.O. Box 629
Worthington, Ohio 43085-0629
(614) 885-5318
Order of DeMolay
A fraternal organization for boys between the ages of thirteen and
twenty-one; its purpose is the encouragement and development of good
citizenship and sound character
International Supreme Council, Order of DeMolay
10200 N. Executive Hills Boulevard
P.O. Box 901342
Kansas City, Missouri 64190-1342
(816) 891-8333
Research In Schizophrenia
Supports research into the causes and treatment of schizophrenia and related disorders
P.O. Box 519
33 Marrett Road
(617) 862-4410
Royal Arch Research Assistance Program
Supports research into auditory perception disorders in children
General Grand Chapter, Royal Arch Masons International
111 South 4th Street
Danville, Kentucky 40423-0489
(606) 236-0757
Scottish Rite Children’s Medical Center in Georgia
Provides generalized and specialized services to children
Scottish Rites Children’s Medical Center
1001 Johnson Ferry Road, N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30363
(404) 256-5252
Scottish Rite Museum of Our National Heritage
A museum and library focusing on our American heritage as well as
Freemasonry’s role in the history of our country
P.O. Box 519
33 Marrett Road
(617) 862-4410
Scottish Rite Supreme Council Library
The first public library in the District of Columbia which today
serves the general public as well as international Masonic scholars
Supreme Council, 33rd Degree, Southern Jurisdiction
1733 Sixteenth Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009-3199
http://www.srmason-sj.org
Shepherd Scholarship
Supports students seeking degrees in fields associated with service
to country and humanity
Shriners Hospitals for Children and Shriners Burn Institutes
Provides orthopedic services to children through a network of 22
hospitals and treatment for burns victims at three burns centers,
also provides specialized medical services for spinal cord injuries,
and cleft palates.
Direct phone to Shriners Hospitals for Children (USA) 800-237-5055
Shriner Headquarters
2900 Rocky Point Drive
Tampa, Florida 33607
[USA - (800) 282-9161 ] [Canada - (800) 361-7256 ] [All other areas
call collect - (813) 281-0300 ]
Tall Cedar Foundation
Supports the Muscular Dystrophy Association
Supreme Forest, Tall Cedars of Lebanon
2609 N. Front Street
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17110
(717) 232-5991
Tennessee and Alabama Scottish Rite Shoe Program
Provides new shoes for need Tennessee and Alabama children
Chattanooga Scottish Rite Bodies
510 Uptain Building
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37411-4031
(615) 855-0175
Birmingham Scottish Rite Bodies
400 Valley Avenue
Birmingham, Alabama 35209-3899
(205) 942-2687
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
Provides orthopedic, neuralgic, and child development services to children in Texas
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
2222 Welborn Street
Dallas, Texas 75219-9982
(214) 521-3168
Masons Assisting Children (MAC)
Provides needy homeless children in the school district with clothing and toiletries
Masons Assisting Children
2200 West Mesquite
Las Vegas, Nevada 89106
Scottish Rite Foundation
Operates a clinic for dyslexic and aphasia disorders in children
Scottish Rite Foundation
2200 West Mesquite
Las Vegas, Nevada 89106

---

If you truly believe that Freemasonry/Appendants should not be involved in charitable and humanitarian activities, I suggest that you contact each of the activities on this list, and given them your reasons, and tell them to stop the activities.

"Mankind was my business" - The Ghost of Jacob Marley, talking to Ebenezer Scrooge.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 10:19am

The MW Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Louisiana runs a camp for underprivileged children in their state, They have done so for many years. (Camp Chicota, Evangeline Parish)

Since you are aware that a Masonic body already has a Youth Camp, have you contacted them to make a contribution (financial or timewise) to assist them? 

Now we pause for some random quotes/sayings from unknown sources:

An empty bucket makes the most racket.

If I tell you I got a cow that's a dang good bird dog, you better get a bigger dog box.

If I tell you I'm gonna turn the world upside down........
You better hold on to the stuff in your pockets!

if i tell you I got a bull that pees good whiskey, you better get a cup.

If you see me in a fight with a bear, you better jump in and help the bear

If I tell you a rooster dips snuff, you better look under his wing for a can.

If I tell you there is cheese on the moon ya better bring crackers pardner

If I tell you it's raining soup, you better fetch a spoon.

if i tell you its easter ya better paint yer eggs.

If its July and I tell you Santa Clause is coming, you better go hang your stocking.

Edited by YES - May/17/2015 at 10:21am
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 10:29am

If you truly believe that Freemasonry/Appendants should not be involved in charitable and humanitarian activities, I suggest that you contact each of the activities on this list, and given them your reasons, and tell them to stop the activities. 

Straw Man

Edited by YES - May/17/2015 at 10:32am
Adept? View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 11:04am

Please keep your posts respectful, and non adversarial or it will be removed and/or the thread will be locked to further posts.   

There will be no more warnings in this topic. Any further violation and the thread will be locked.

Thank you.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 11:15am

Later:

See:

http://www.msana.com/historyfm.asp

and

"Why Public Schools?" by Henry C Claussen.

Freemasons were instrumental in establishing the first public schools in colonial America. This is not to say that Freemasons actually established the schools. 

Throughout our history, Freemasons have consistently supported the expansion of education in our nation.
Charles E. Martin

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY. 

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/charles-e-martin/13/a81/14
http://www.cemab4y.blogspot[/QUOTE]
I am not interested in getting into previous pi**ing contest that have characterized this thread, but I am interested in the accuracy and consistency of your statements. These ideas are good to kick around but I'm not going to have my intelligence insulted by throwing at me inaccurate, inconsistent statements, and selective distortions, misstatements and deliberate misinterpretations of mine and others' views to advance your agenda. We can't have a respectable, rational discussion amongst Brothers with this type of stuff going on.

I will not be discussing points you raise any further, but if you make statements that I know to be false or inaccurate I will point them out. We all owe that to each other.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 11:17am

Please keep your posts respectful, and non adversarial or it will be removed and/or the thread will be locked to further posts.   

There will be no more warnings in this topic. Any further violation and the thread will be locked.

Thank you.

Better to lock the thread. I have always tried to be respectful in my posts but respect is a two way street and this thread has become just impossible.
YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 11:23am

... if you make statements that I know to be false or inaccurate I will point them out. We all owe that to each other.
ClapClapClap

coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 11:23am

If you do not think that Freemasonry can or should create a charity/foundation, that is your right. Thankfully, most Masons do not agree with you. If you feel that charitable and humanitarian activities are not in the scope of Freemasonry, I suggest you read this list:

(This is a PARTIAL listing of what Freemasonry (and the appendant/concordant bodies) are doing....

"Mankind was my business" - The Ghost of Jacob Marley, talking to Ebenezer Scrooge.

As I have stated in other forums where you have put this EXACT same response to other Brother's objections, YOU HAVE MISSED THE POINT ENTIRELY.

The problem is not with what you have stated above repeatedly, ad nausea here and in other forums. That is not an issue at all!

The problem that shall always get in the way and cause troubles is that we are not doing our PRIMARY JOB: Developing Masterful men.

All these activities are noble, but they distract us from our primary purpose: Make Good Men Better.

The ISSUE is we are not doing the Work for which we have come: To learn to subdue our passions and improve ourselves in Masonry.

Until we do this, we should not offer ANY DISTRACTIONS, no matter how worthy.

Edited by coach - May/17/2015 at 11:26am

YES View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 11:25am

Thank you.

Better to lock the thread. I have always tried to be respectful in my posts but respect is a two way street and this thread has become just impossible.

I agree.
coach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 11:28am

Thank you.

This has occurred in most places (other forums) that this topic has peen put forth. Same responses from all sides.

It is an excellent learning tool for those unfamiliar with rhetorical manipulations. Kudos to all who have spotted and spoken of them.

Edited by coach - May/17/2015 at 11:28am

Adept? View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2015 at 11:53am
This thread is locked.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic