Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flea Market & Help Desk > PC Help Desk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Viruses & Adware removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viruses & Adware removal
    Posted: December/24/2010 at 12:34pm
 For members on this forum I can help with removal of viruses if needed.     Send me a PM and I'll send instructions.   ... I do need remote access to your system, so it must be able to connect to the internet.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 11:17pm
I can help as well and possibly if you can not connect if you can run scans at least and email me the log files. One of the first things to try is to run either superantispyware or malwarebytes to see if it gets you back operating. Both programs are very effective in removing a bunch of nasty junk that is out there right now.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
freemasonkasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemasonkasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 7:52am
Offering help as well for removing viruses and infecting files. Also, offering FORMAT tutorials for Windows OS, keeping system running with best performances. Just let me know if you have any trouble at all. Email me or PM me. Wish You All The Best
May every Brother have a heart to feel and a hand to give.
farmerjoe View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmerjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 10:09pm
Can anyone help with a self inflicted Windows 7 install?  All my docs are gone.  
Joe L Van Dyke,PM Inspector, 834th District, Grand Lodge of California

'To always industriously strive to acquire useful knowledge to put forth to good use'.
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 7:39am

How did you install? Did you tell it to do an upgrade, repair, or complete install?

Jay Austin

The Masonic Society

edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 7:52am
right .... a complete install likely erased the HD, they're gone.     ... an upgrade might have renamed or moved the directory.   ... I'm new with windows 7 myself, so not sure about this.

what you can do is, search for 'document' & '*.doc'; hopefully you can find the directory they are in.

Edited by edwmax - January/16/2011 at 7:53am

Thomasville 369
freemasonkasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemasonkasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 12:56pm
Advanced data recovery software to do format recovery and recover deleted files emptied from Recycle Bin or lost data due to partition loss or damage, software crash, virus infection, unexpected shutdown or any other unknown reasons.

It will do an amazing job when the data loss disaster strikes, especially when you want to recover data from formatted drive. Data Recovery Wizard supports hardware RAID and hard drive, USB drive, SD card, memory card, etc.

It provides the comprehensive data recovery solution for computer users to recover lost data.

Format Recovery Solution
"Complete Recovery" module is used for recovering formatted data by simple clicks.

Deleted Recovery Solution
"Deleted File Recovery" module is designed for recovering deleted files.

Partition Recovery Solution
"Partition Recovery" module is for recovering data from deleted, lost or damaged partition.

Other Data Loss Solution
Also recover lost data due to software crash, virus infection, other unknown reasons, etc. Key Features!

* Recover deleted or lost files emptied from the Recycle Bin.
* File recovery after accidental format, even if you have reinstalled Windows.
* Disk recovery after a hard disk crash.
* Get back files after a partitioning error.
* Get data back from RAW hard drives.
* Recover office document, photo, image, video, music, email, etc.
* Recover from hard drive, USB drive, memory card, memory stick, camera card, Zip, floppy disk or other storage media.
* Support FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS/NTFS5 file systems.
* New! Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/Windows 7.
* Bootable media based on WinPE.
* High quality of file recovery.
* Free file repair service.

Download
from different file hosts.

Rapidshare:
 Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/437590829/E.D.RW.pro5.0.1.rar
Hotfile:
  Code:
http://hotfile.com/dl/89912468/a16d6d0/E.D.RW.pro5.0.1.rar.html
Duckload.com:
 Code:
http://www.duckload.com/download/1496461/E.D.RW.pro5.0.1.rar

Edited by freemasonkasa - January/16/2011 at 12:58pm
May every Brother have a heart to feel and a hand to give.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 2:41pm
As a last resort try the data recovery.   Usually a full or complete install of windows erases the HD and does a full format; then installs windows.   It is not likely anything can be recovered which was over written.

Thomasville 369
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 6:00pm
Even a format does not erase everything. I know many forensics experts that retrieve data from a formatted hard drive all the time. Formatting does make it harder though and useually not a complete recovery. In those cases they NEVER work directly on the target hdd directly.

If you do not know what you are doing with recovery software, I would recomed taking it to a tech. The more you use your hdd, the less chance of getting anything back.

In this case, if you did an upgrade or repair here should be a directory in your C drive called "old windows" or something simular. Check in there in the users folder.
Jay Austin

The Masonic Society

farmerjoe View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmerjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 12:49am
I did an upgrade, and later found everything in a file called windows.old, in the Computer directory.
Joe L Van Dyke,PM Inspector, 834th District, Grand Lodge of California

'To always industriously strive to acquire useful knowledge to put forth to good use'.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 6:59am
Good, ... the files weren't deleted, but moved.    The search function should have made it easy to locate the files, if you didn't know the directory they were moved to.

Thomasville 369
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 8:28am
I've had very good luck with MalwareBytes as well. 
I also use Avast, but it's aggressive - killed the Windows Updater on her laptop, but in it's defense, why would you call something "TrustedInstaller.EXE" - that just screams "wolf in sheep's clothing" to me.
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
stonecutter View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonecutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2011 at 10:36am
Windows XP won't upgrade to Win7 so they save your old documents to the Windows.old folder. You can copy your old documents from your Documents and Settings/User/Documents folder in the windows.old directory. The windows.old folder on my PC was pretty huge and used a lot of space. Once you have your old files copied you can remove the windows.old folder by using the Disk Cleanup utility in Win7 and selecting the option to remove old operating systems.

As for adware & malware, I use the paid version of Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware Pro in addition to my anti-virus software. But even with these it's still possible to get hit by things like the Google Search hijack which was a pain in the ass to remove. I finally found a program called Hitman Pro that did the job.

We can't solve our problems by using the same kind of thinking that created them.
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 12:36am
I just googled what the google search hijack is, and I confess I also had that type of issue not too long ago. It redirected me to some suspect sites whenever I clicked on a search result.

My Avast and everything else didnt help the situation.

Recently I have noticed it doesnt happen as much. How did I fix it? Honestly I dont know. I think it's because I cleared the cache? Or it may have been some update avast did that picked it up. I'm not certain. I'm just happy it stopped. lol
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 1:36am
Originally posted by stonecutter stonecutter wrote:

Windows XP won't upgrade to Win7 so they save your old documents to the Windows.old folder. You can copy your old documents from your Documents and Settings/User/Documents folder in the windows.old directory. The windows.old folder on my PC was pretty huge and used a lot of space. Once you have your old files copied you can remove the windows.old folder by using the Disk Cleanup utility in Win7 and selecting the option to remove old operating systems.

As for adware & malware, I use the paid version of Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware Pro in addition to my anti-virus software. But even with these it's still possible to get hit by things like the Google Search hijack which was a pain in the ass to remove. I finally found a program called Hitman Pro that did the job.
What documents are we looking at here.."Word/PPT/Excel"?
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 4:46am
All of those storied in the "My Documents" directory in Windows.   Past windows upgrades maintained that directory and files, Windows 7 doesn't.    

Thomasville 369
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 5:51am
Originally posted by edwmax edwmax wrote:

All of those storied in the "My Documents" directory in Windows.   Past windows upgrades maintained that directory and files, Windows 7 doesn't.    

"pfftt".! I say.!
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic