Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ladies Organizations & Youth Organizations > Order of DeMolay
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about DeMolay compared to Boy Scouts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnarledrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about DeMolay compared to Boy Scouts
    Posted: January/22/2011 at 7:03pm
[I hope this doesn't bring up any controversy or drama, and this topic isn't meant to incite any sort of flaming or trolling.]
I'm watching a documentary about the Boy Scouts of America, and they mention that it's basically been taken over by the Mormon church. Look to your left, and you'll see I'm in Utah right now-- so my ears perked up.
I know that the BSA is very vocal and adamant about not allowing gays or atheists in; while both BSA and DeMolay agree on not allowing atheists in, does DeMolay also not let gay youth/adult leaders in? I know Freemasonry in general doesn't even consider sexual orientation (Which I absolutely love and support, even being a straight married man) but does that egalitarianism quite that far?
Junior Warden, Damascus #10, F&AM of Utah

Knight Templar
aogop View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aogop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 4:26pm
Speaking as a current Advisory Chair,  the very short answer is no, sexual orientation is not a factor and there have been (and are currently) gay advisors in advisory boards. DeMolay International has an extremely strong Adult Worker and Child Protection policy all advisors must follow or risk being removed from an advisory board.  The Executive Officer of each jurisdiction has the final say on who can be an advisor in their area, and I am sure all of them are keenly aware of any potential liability issues.
JerryP.
Shoreline Lodge#248 F&AM
Shoreline, WA.
gnarledrose View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnarledrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 5:56pm
Good to hear!
Junior Warden, Damascus #10, F&AM of Utah

Knight Templar
7 precepts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7 precepts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 11:20am
growing up i was in cub scouts, but lost interest when i was already at the age of 10 an experianced outdoorsman, got into martial arts for a year and a half and my step dad who is a senior DeMolay, when i was 11, took me to the local DeMolay chapter and i was in awe and from that moment on knew what i wanted to do as a boy. i nagged my dad (step-dad) for SIX months about joining and finally when i turned 12 he gave me a petition but there was one problem....the $50 life membership. i said "um dad i need $50" he asked what for and i said "DeMolay", so he sais that i'll have to earn it. the summer i turned 12 I did most of the labor putting up a 6 foot wooden cyclone gate on the back yard, and did a lot of heavy lifting moving to another house, mowed the yard for our house and my grandparents houses, clean the 7 vehicles of mom, dad, and all my grandparents every weekend.
finally one day in november dad took me shopping for a suit, i told him i dont want to work anymore, he said this was for christmas and the next morning at 6 am i get woke up and told to put that new suit on, not ask any questions and get in the car and enjoy the ride. dad was never one to do much explaining. it was cold about 42* and by this time i had long forgot about the prospect of joining DeMolay after working all summer and most of fall. finally we arrived downtown at a massive building with the words "Scottish Rite" on the building and a weird looking (to a 12 year old) 2 headed eagle on the door. walked inside and i finally asked dad what gives, we walked in and there stood 8 other teenagers i have never seen before. so i asked them whats the occasion? they replied, they were becoming DeMolay's, i replied SO AM I!!!!!!!! the rest i shall say after the 2nd and 3rd section i was in tears, so if you have not seen the DeMolay degeree, i will say no more and leave you to experience the thrill i got oh 12 years ago. 
and oh by the way on November 13th 2000 i joined DeMolay at the Memphis Valley Scottish Rite during District Conclave, NINE years and 3 months later i recieved my 32nd degree in the same spot i started my journey in masonry on March 13th 2009. i was also the candidate for the 30th degree........coincidence???? ahh the mystery will never die, and the experiences just keep getting better.
Bro. Kendall Jewell
2* Senior DeMolay
Lynn Skinner Chapter
3* Master Mason
Bartlett#211 GLofTn F&AM
32* Master of the Royal Secret
Valley of Memphis Orient of Tennessee
Yellow Dog etc... etc... etc...
CamoFreq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamoFreq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 8:24am

Edited by JonathanPaul - July/20/2014 at 10:48pm
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 9:47am
BSA has basically been invaded by the Mormon Church?

I had 15 years experience as a Boy Scout Leader in Massachusetts including running the aquatics section at a large Boy Scout Camp and being an Assistant District Commissioner to name a couple, so I have seen a sort of large picture. I am not a member of the Mormon Church.

While it is true that the Mormon Church is very active in Boy Scouts, the ratio of Mormon Scouts to the overall population of scouts is so small, I can't see how it can be construed that the Mormon Church has invaded Scouts.

Regardless of what one thinks of the LDS church, the statement that the Mormon Church has basically invaded BSA just has no basis or logic.

Added 12:04: The Scout troops in the Mormon Church in my Council did not follow the exact program as other troops; BSA allows that for troops belonging to specific organizations if those organizations wish to do so. By the same token, in my experience, I had never seen the Mormon Church attempt to unduly influence BSA policies or programs in my Council. In other words, they pretty much ran their own program, but they didn't try to tell the rest of us how to run ours.

Edited by droche - April/13/2012 at 12:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic