Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Tyler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Tyler
    Posted: June/12/2011 at 7:38pm
The most overlooked officer of the lodge?
E: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10
MW Prince Hall GL of Alabama F&AM

I'm a moderator?

"You can't trust those fellowcrafts...bunch of rogues and murderers!"
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 7:43pm
Each officer is important. Without any of them, the lodge would not function to the best of its ability. The Tyler's job is very important to the functioning of the lodge.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
KSigMason View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 8:44pm
I wouldn't think so.  The SW, the Tyler, and any Master Mason compose my Lodge's investigative committee when we have a visiting Brother.  The Tyler is in charge of security and the Lodge property.  He has a very important job.  My Lodge has a tradition of sending the JPM to be Tyler.
"For thou art my lamp, O Lord: and the Lord will lighten my darkness." -- 2 Samuel 22:29

Traveling Templar - 29OCT2013
canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2011 at 10:15pm
In my lodge, usually the IPM becomes Director of Ceremonies and then becomes Tyler. Here we always open in the first and then go up in the next degree, so when the EA's or FC's leave the lodge room - usually the Tyler practices with them on their proficiency. That's why - it's very important that he is experienced and knowledgeable brother.
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 12:00am
Originally posted by canuck canuck wrote:

In my lodge, usually the IPM becomes Director of Ceremonies and then becomes Tyler. Here we always open in the first and then go up in the next degree, so when the EA's or FC's leave the lodge room - usually the Tyler practices with them on their proficiency. That's why - it's very important that he is experienced and knowledgeable brother.
Same here in Oz.
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 7:13am
Perhaps it would be more accurate to describe the Tyler as the most underrated officer in a Lodge?
CAMB.MASON View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAMB.MASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 7:40am
  Did  you know that the Tyler was the first paid position of the Lodge.  In early days of FreeMasonry, it was the Tyler that washed and kept the aprons in good condition.  Fixed the regalia if it needed to be fixed. Laid out the Lodge, put away the Lodge, remember in those days Lodges did not meet in Temples/Buildings that they owned.  They rented or used spaces that the public could also use at times, so everything had to be put away.
     The Tyler had to know everyone in the Lodge, for it was he that most of the time hand delivered the Lodge notices.  It was the Tyler at times that drew the emblems on the floor.

Now with that said, the Tyler should be someone that knows what he is doing.  I see a lot of Lodges throw outside a new member or someone that really has no idea what they are doing. He has to see that everyone coming into Lodge is a Lodge member, he has to know all the signs, and should know most of the ritual.  He has to see that everyone should sign the registers, both members and visitors.  He should see that everyone has an apron.  He should know how to salute with a sword.  He should know what to and how to receive a visitor.  He should know how to read the List of Lodges book.  He should when to knock to allow a member or visitor into the Lodge room. He should know who to go to, to ask about a investigation committee for a visitor. He should stay outside the Lodge room when Lodge is open.  He should see that the members and visitors aprons are clean and plenty out for Lodge meetings.  He should help with putting out and away the Lodge regalia.  He could help out with the candidates.   He should be friendly, for he is the first one that visitors and members see a Officer of that Lodge.  He should have a idea who is and is not a member of the Lodge.  He should know what to ask a member for validation, as well as visitors from his own country and those from out of the country.   I see too many Lodges take the Tyler's position as a common anyone can do it.  But it is a job for someone that knows what he is doing.  If done correctly, it is one of the best and hard and above all lonely jobs in FreeMasonry.  I know I have been a Tyler for numerous Lodges for over ten years and still fill in when need to.  In my observations and my own words, it is NOT a job for the new candidate, but someone with some experience, it could be passed down to others, when others are trained properly.  It is embrassing when I go to Lodge, and the Tyler a new member is thrown outside, just to have someone there, he does not know what degree, when to allow or how you get into the Lodge room once Lodge is open.  He does not check to see that you are a member or visitor, and above all does not vouch the registers that all have signed afterwards.  Sorry, but just my thoughts, for I take pride in being Tyler and do the best job that I can, I am the first Officer of the Lodge that someone sees, the first line of defense, a ambassador of the Lodge.
I remain Fraternally Yours:

Curator & Historian
Cambridge Masonic Temple Cambridge, Massachusetts

bdsnook43 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdsnook43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 8:29am

Whenever we have degrees (called communications) my lodge assigns an associate Tyler as well.  Well, I think he volunteers for it every time!

I agree it is important to have an "established" Brother at the door.  It's nice as a candidate to have someone there organized enough to not go "hey, who the heck are you!?!" LOL
Hillsborough Lodge 25 –JD | Valley of Tampa | Egypt Shrine
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 9:00am
Cambridge Mason, your description of what a Tyler should be fits Massachusetts' Morningstar Lodge's former Tyler, the late, great Robert Shaw to a "T."

While alive, he was the "go-to" man for everything Masonic in Worcester.

Too bad not all Lodges have the resources to produce such a Tyler like him and like you describe.

What is unfortunate is not so much that they don't have the resources to produce Tylers like you describe, but that the requirements for Tylers are not widely disseminated, known or required by a lot of Lodges out there.
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 10:21am
Camb.Mason----A very nice description of the tyler's duties.  I enjoyed reading that and also reading of how you take pride in being the tyler.  Thanks for sharing that with us. 
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 5:25pm
I have heard it said that in some old Lodges in Scotland, the Tyler was required to hold out his sword horizontally at the end of the meeting so that his wages could be placed on the flat of the sword's blade. If his had been drinking while guarding the Lodge, then he wouldn't have been able to hold the sword steady and his wages would fall off the blade. I'm not sure if this story is true, but I'd like to think it is.
The Carrington Lodge (WAC 363)
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
18th Boucaut RC (AASR Australia 5)
The Carrington Lodge

tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2011 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by log cabin Bill log cabin Bill wrote:

Camb.Mason----A very nice description of the tyler's duties.  I enjoyed reading that and also reading of how you take pride in being the tyler.  Thanks for sharing that with us. 

I concur.Thumbs Up
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
drew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2011 at 3:41am
Its an Honorable job.  Being left outside with little to do most of the time. 

Normally once our Lodge is opened properly, our Inner Guard asks for permission to Tyle from the open door, so that they Tyler can see what is going on. 

Question:
When Tyled from an open door, can the Tyler participate in the meeting? ie: Can he make, or second any motions?
...when the guns are the fenceposts; the cars are the doghouse; and the telephone no longer rings.
CAMB.MASON View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAMB.MASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 6:56am
 If the door is open, then no Lodge business takes place.  If inside the Lodge room he could participate in Lodge business, but since he is suppose to be outside the door, he can not participate in any business once Lodge has started.  The Lodge room doors are closed if Lodge is in working mode.  No business should take place with a open door.  With this said, each Lodge does their work differently.  Just a FYI to all, if a DDGM or GM or someone from the GL is around, do not have the Tyled or unTyled doors open once the Lodge is opened.  Even balloting, the Tyler can not ballot.  That is why in some Lodges guards are placed at the several entrances of the Lodge to see that none leave or enter during the ballot.

Edited by CAMB.MASON - June/15/2011 at 6:58am
I remain Fraternally Yours:

Curator & Historian
Cambridge Masonic Temple Cambridge, Massachusetts

Z111 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 7:49am
Originally posted by CAMB.MASON CAMB.MASON wrote:

Even balloting, the Tyler can not ballot.  That is why in some Lodges guards are placed at the several entrances of the Lodge to see that none leave or enter during the ballot.

In my jurisdiction he can and does vote.  Presuming he is a member of the Lodge.
We have a procedure where he is temporarily replaced in order to vote.
"You cannot do square work by cutting corners."
fireman99 View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireman99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 9:15am

If the door is open, then no Lodge business takes place.  If inside the Lodge room he could participate in Lodge business, but since he is suppose to be outside the door, he can not participate in any business once Lodge has started.  The Lodge room doors are closed if Lodge is in working mode.  No business should take place with a open door.  With this said, each Lodge does their work differently.  Just a FYI to all, if a DDGM or GM or someone from the GL is around, do not have the Tyled or unTyled doors open once the Lodge is opened.  Even balloting, the Tyler can not ballot.  That is why in some Lodges guards are placed at the several entrances of the Lodge to see that none leave or enter during the ballot.

Here, all MM present are required to vote.
Noblewiebe View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noblewiebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by fireman99 fireman99 wrote:

Same in Ontario. ALL, including the Tyler must vote.
Master Alma #72 1985
A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.
www.beashrinernow.com

CanuckMason View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanuckMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2011 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Noblewiebe Noblewiebe wrote:

Originally posted by fireman99 fireman99 wrote:

Same in Ontario. ALL, including the Tyler must vote.

Indeed.  It is also not unheard of for the WM to give a direction to the Tyler to Tyle the outer door, and enter lodge, so he can listen to a presentation or participate in degree work.  He must, of course, be outside at any time he be needed (openings, closings, etc.).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic