Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reinstatement - Event Date: June/21/2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boaz94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Reinstatement
    Posted: June/21/2011 at 10:13am
Greetings!   Brother's I've been pretty busy with my job for the last 10 years. But now I'm finally in one place and ready to get back involved with my craft work.

How would I go about reinstatement with my old lodge??
Just be you!
bdsnook43 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdsnook43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 10:44am
The Lodge Secretary is the person to talk to.

Edited by bdsnook43 - June/21/2011 at 12:12pm
Hillsborough Lodge 25 –JD | Valley of Tampa | Egypt Shrine
masonic.truths View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masonic.truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 10:52am
Originally posted by bdsnook43 bdsnook43 wrote:

If you have already gone through the three degree's, you are likely still considered a member of your lodge. 

Is your old lodge still near you?  Likely, you can just go to the Secretary and pay your dues for this year.

Regardless, the Lodge Secretary is the person to talk to.

It sounds like you have may have been suspended for Non Payment of dues if that is true, the only thing correct in the above post is that you need to contact the Lodge Secretary.   He can give you a petition for reinstatement.  The requirements after that can differ between Jurisdictions.

Edited by masonic.truths - June/21/2011 at 10:56am
maboot38 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maboot38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 11:04am
There's a whole section in Mackey's Jurisprudence of Freemasonry devoted to reinstatement.  It's a pretty good read, but there are variations from one territory to another.

Generally, if you owe past dues and have been suspended for non-payment...you'll most likely have to pay what you owed to get you up to date.  However, some lodges do grand an amnesty for this.

If you demitted at the time, you may have to apply to affiliate.  I'm not sure if you can un-demit.  Then again, there's little difference between the two ideas.

As was said, the best person to help you is the secretary of your lodge.  I'm sure he's done it before, and it is pretty common for a "rusty brother" to come back to lodge after an absence.
Dan
Columbian Lodge - Boston, MA
Columbian Lodge Facebook Page
www.columbianlodge.org
Boaz94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boaz94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 11:19am
Thanks Bdsnook43, Yeah I've been in the Blue House since 94 and Royal Arch since 95. My Lodge is in Louisiana!
Just be you!
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masonic.truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Boaz94 Boaz94 wrote:

Thanks Bdsnook43, Yeah I've been in the Blue House since 94 and Royal Arch since 95. My Lodge is in Louisiana!

Is your Lodge under the Grand Lodge of Louisiana, If so, I can get you the contact info for your Lodge Secretary.
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 11:43am
I hope you've been making some good money these past 10 years.

10 years of dues....Cry
E: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10
MW Prince Hall GL of Alabama F&AM

I'm a moderator?

"You can't trust those fellowcrafts...bunch of rogues and murderers!"
maboot38 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maboot38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 11:51am
I doubt that.  You'd probably be suspended after a year or two of non-payment.  You would only have to pay those.  You don't pay for the years you are suspended.
Dan
www.columbianlodge.org
Boaz94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boaz94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 12:02pm
Yes it's under the Grand Lodge of Louisiana. Cornerstone # 229 Lake Charles,La
Just be you!
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by maboot38 maboot38 wrote:

I doubt that.  You'd probably be suspended after a year or two of non-payment.  You would only have to pay those.  You don't pay for the years you are suspended.

Oh yeah? This is one of those things I'm sure differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

I'm a moderator?

bdsnook43 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdsnook43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by masonic.truths masonic.truths wrote:

If you have already gone through the three degree's, you are likely still considered a member of your lodge. 

Is your old lodge still near you?  Likely, you can just go to the Secretary and pay your dues for this year.

It sounds like you have may have been suspended for Non Payment of dues if that is true, the only thing correct in the above post is that you need to contact the Lodge Secretary.   He can give you a petition for reinstatement.  The requirements after that can differ between Jurisdictions.

I guess I should have paid more attention.  Ten years is a long time...

Here are the rules for Florida.  I assumed you were from a Florida lodge given your profile stating Jacksonville!  But, given you are from LA, I'm sure they could or will be different.

Reinstatement, non-payment of dues

(1) General information Chapter 27.

(2) Petition for reinstatement takes same course as petition for degrees. (Reg.27.13)

(3) Favorable vote of 3/4 of members present by ball ballot or secret written ballot. (Reg. 27.13)

(4) May be renewed after three months. (Reg. 27.13)

(5) Per capita due Grand lodge must be paid. (Reg. 27.14)

http://www.glflamason.org/documents/Digest%202010.pdf

REINSTATEMENT

Regulations

27.13 A Member suspended for non-payment of dues can be reinstated only after petition has been properly submitted, which shall take the same course as a petition for the Degrees, provided, any such petition which is rejected may be renewed by a new petition after three months from date of such rejection. A favorable vote of three-fourths of the members present by ball ballot or secret written vote shall be necessary to reinstate a member suspended for non-payment of dues.

27.14 In handling a petition for reinstatement for N.P.D., a Lodge may collect or remit all dues, including current dues, or any part thereof, but any per capita due Grand Lodge must be paid to Grand Lodge.

Edited by bdsnook43 - June/21/2011 at 12:18pm
bdsnook43 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdsnook43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by masonic.truths masonic.truths wrote:

That's what happens when someone rushes in without looking ;)
maboot38 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maboot38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Caution1010 Caution1010 wrote:

Oh yeah? This is one of those things I'm sure differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Looking at it logically, how can a lodge charge you for membership to an organization to which you are no longer a member.  When you are suspended, your membership is suspended, and therefore it would be unethical to charge dues.  That's how I see it.
Dan
www.columbianlodge.org
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 12:25pm

Looking at it logically, how can a lodge charge you for membership to an organization to which you are no longer a member.  When you are suspended, your membership is suspended, and therefore it would be unethical to charge dues.  That's how I see it.

I see your point.

I'm a moderator?

Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masonic.truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Boaz94 Boaz94 wrote:

Yes it's under the Grand Lodge of Louisiana. Cornerstone # 229 Lake Charles,La

Your Lodge is PHA, so I don't have any info on it.
Boaz94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boaz94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 12:57pm
Quarryman, Yes it's PHA. Lake Charles Louisiana
Just be you!
ARPHA View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARPHA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 1:02pm
http://www.mwphglla.com/
This is the link to the MWPHGL of LA.  It should have some contact info on it for you get back involved.
Unity Lodge #454 P.H.A.
W.P. Brown Chapter #142 HRAM
Little Rock Commandery #1
J.L.H. Smith Consistory #76
Boaz94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boaz94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 1:04pm
Thanks Brother for looking into this. I'm not sure if the guidlines are the same in Louisiana, but I'm sure it maybe similar.
Just be you!
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 3:50pm
You need to get reinstated first in the jurisdiction that you were a member. Once you get back in good standing there you should be able to join a lodge where you are now located. The website for your lodge is http://www.georgewashingtonsr21.com/Cornerstone229.html but there is not a way to contact them that I can find. Your best bet would be to call your GL at 225.387.0996 which is the phone number listed on their site. They would be the best to give you advice on how to get reinstated.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 7:01pm

It's the same in my jurisdiction.   Only the past due dues. plus current year.  So if the Lodge is on top of suspension that would be one past due + current year ... 2 years ....
"Until you realize that your viewpoint is incomplete and that's '_' viewpoint is complete, only then can you become teachable in the Mysteries of '_'."

PM of Cairo Lodge 299
Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 10:13pm

Yep

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 10:38pm
Thanks guys.

I'm a moderator?

3DistinctKnocks View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3DistinctKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2011 at 11:13pm
Here's a new one in Mississippi.  If you've been suspended for non-payment of dues for over three years, you have to be re-investigated as you would when petitioning the lodge for the first time.  Is sound satisfactory, your petition for reinstatement will then be voted on.
Past Master
Pontotoc Lodge #81 F.&A.M.
OES Pontotoc Chapter #42
The Trestle Board
bdsnook43 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdsnook43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 7:39am
Originally posted by 3DistinctKnocks 3DistinctKnocks wrote:

Here's a new one in Mississippi.  If you've been suspended for non-payment of dues for over three years, you have to be re-investigated as you would when petitioning the lodge for the first time.  Is sound satisfactory, your petition for reinstatement will then be voted on.

I wonder if this line requires the same here in FL:  "...which shall take the same course as a petition for the Degrees..."

Sounds like it, but I'm kinda new to the rules around here.  Wink

Quote 27.13 A Member suspended for non-payment of dues can be reinstated only after petition has been properly submitted, which shall take the same course as a petition for the Degrees, provided, any such petition which is rejected may be renewed by a new petition after three months from date of such rejection. A favorable vote of three-fourths of the members present by ball ballot or secret written vote shall be necessary to reinstate a member suspended for non-payment of dues.

3DistinctKnocks View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3DistinctKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 7:46am
Its a new rule, so I'm not 100% sure on the finer points of the issue. 
Past Master
Pontotoc Lodge #81 F.&A.M.
OES Pontotoc Chapter #42
The Trestle Board
aogop View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aogop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2011 at 4:23pm
That's how it works with my GL.   I was NPD for 10 years and had to have an investigative committee come to my house after I petitioned for reinstatement.  I ended up paying 2 years' worth of dues after being voted in.
JerryP.

Shoreline Lodge#248 F&AM

Shoreline, WA.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic