Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lodge Dues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Matron
Matron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Darrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lodge Dues
    Posted: July/09/2011 at 1:03pm
This is written with California in mind, but I'm sure you can adapt it to your jurisdictions

Subject: Lodge Dues

Wor. Sirs,

This article is worth having published in the Trestle boards of your respective Lodges!!!!

When the opportunity arises, we should always be prepared to present some sort of Masonic Education to our Masonic Family.

"Should I continue to pay my husband's Lodge Dues, even though he's not able to attend Lodge events any longer?"

With regard to our Senior Brethren and their rights & benefits. I have heard stories of sad scenarios that happen when our Senior Age Masons begin to stop going to Lodge, for any number of reasons. Sometimes the families of these Brothers see them not going to Lodge as uninterested and they wonder why they are still paying their Lodge dues. Perhaps the following message will help with the understanding of why it is SO IMPORTANT TO CONTINUE PAYING DUES, even if the Brothers aren't attending Lodge.

After a time of not having the dues paid, the Brother will be Suspended for Non-Payment of Dues (SNPD).

All of the rights and privileges are suspended as well at that time.

Here is what our Brothers lose when Suspended for Non-Payment of Dues:

*Loses the right to received 25, 50 and 75 year membership recognition

*Loses his right to belong to other Masonic Bodies (Scottish Rite, York Rite, Shriners, etc)

*Loses the right to attend HIS, or any other, Lodge

*Loses the right to discuss intimate Lodge matters with a Brother

*Loses the right to ballot upon the membership of a prospective member

*Loses the right to receive Senior Outreach support from the Masonic Homes, in their own community

*Loses the right to move into one of the Masonic Homes in California , and

*Loses the right to have a Masonic Funeral, unless specially voted on by the Lodge.

Now, as if that isn't enough, here is what the family of these Masons can lose:

*Loses the right to belong to a concordant body (Job's Daughters, Eastern Star, Amaranth, Daughters of the Niles, etc) because their only Masonic connection has been "cut".

*Loses the right for the Widow receive Senior Outreach support from the Masonic Homes, in their own community

*Loses the right for the Widow to move into one of the Masonic Homes in California

*Loses the right for the children, grandchildren, etc to receive certain Masonic College Scholarships

Let me state, solidly and profoundly, "if our Brothers families cease paying the yearly dues to the lodge they belong to, great losses can be had by all concerned".

So, if your Husband, Uncle, Father, Grandfather, Brother, etc, is no longer attending Lodge, please...take these things into serious consideration before ceasing the payment of his dues, and thereby breaking his link with the greatest fraternity in the world, and, before breaking the link that may hurt him and his family (long term). I know that most of us Masons hold these rights and privileges very close to our hearts; not just for our own sake but as a way for us to take care of our families when we no longer can!

Please feel free to copy and pass this on to your Trestle board/Newsletter Editors and to anyone who can make a difference in our Older Brothers lives and to ensure our gift to their families!

Sincerely and Fraternally, John Cover Spear, PM

Moreno Valley Lodge 804 Evergreen Lodge 259

Dave Allmuth. Div. IV

Edited by De Darrah - July/09/2011 at 1:04pm
De
Past Matron New Hope Ch. #117 OES
PWHP Palm Shrine No.32 now Alchor #27 WSOJ
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.

As Brother Ben F. said
"In Wine there is Wisdom
In Beer there in Freedom
In Water there is Bacteria"
<
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2011 at 4:22pm

This is an interesting post. I am in agreement. In Kentucky (and some other states) all 50-year masons are excused from local and Grand Lodge dues for the remainder of their lives. Families should be made aware of this provision. Families should also be made aware, that if there is a financial hardship in the family, and that paying dues will present a hardship, some lodges have a fund, which will help pay some or all of the brother's dues.

I would like to see an additional line on all annual dues collection notices, informing members, that they could contribute to a fund, to assist worthy brothers who are unable to pay their dues.

Charles E. Martin

Bowling Green Lodge #73, Bowling Green KY.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/charles-e-martin/13/a81/14

http://www.cemab4y.blogspot.com

http://www.twitter.com/cemab4y
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2011 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by cemab4y cemab4y wrote:

This is an interesting post. I am in agreement. In Kentucky (and some other states) all 50-year masons are excused from local and Grand Lodge dues for the remainder of their lives. Families should be made aware of this provision. Families should also be made aware, that if there is a financial hardship in the family, and that paying dues will present a hardship, some lodges have a fund, which will help pay some or all of the brother's dues.

I would like to see an additional line on all annual dues collection notices, informing members, that they could contribute to a fund, to assist worthy brothers who are unable to pay their dues.

The 50 year jewel situation is similar to our GL in that GL capitation fees are exempted. Also if a long serving member became financially strained, I'm sure the Lodge would find a way to help.

I like the idea of your fund, Charles.
The Carrington Lodge (WAC 363)
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
18th Boucaut RC (AASR Australia 5)
The Carrington Lodge

cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 5:18pm
The Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania is the first GL in the nation, to enable all of their members, to pay their lodge dues online (that I know of). The GL of PA entered into an agreement with www.payliance.com

A PA Mason can enable payliance, to withhold 1/12 of the annual dues each month, and remit the amount directly to the GL. That way, the dues costs are spread out over the entire year, and members do not get the dues notice in the year-end mail. By setting it up automatically, lodge secretaries are relieved from having to chase members down, with dues notices sent in the snail-mail.

Reminds me of the old joke: "I don't care what it costs, just what are your monthly payments!"

Charles E. Martin

daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 5:24pm
Our Lodge has set up a system to pay dues electronically through internet account to account transfers, but there's nothing like handing over an envelope full of cash to the Treasurer!
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
The Carrington Lodge

log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 5:44pm
While this may seem like a great idea, remember that such services as this are not free and ultimately your lodge would have to use some portion of your dues to pay for this service.   I don't have a problem with taking a minute to write out a check and put it in an envelope once a year to pay my dues.  It was mentioned in my lodge that they would prefer us to send them a check to pay, that way they will get the full amount without having to pay any fees for the electronic transfer. 
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
daves View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 5:47pm
Believe it or not, personal account to personal account electronic funds transfer is free down here. But for how much longer?
Bassendean RAC (WAC 20)
The Carrington Lodge

cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 6:28pm
When looking at what something costs, you should also look at what it is worth. Paying dues online, will entail some administrative costs. The online service will charge a fee. But, the individual mason will save the cost and time of writing the check and the postage. The lodge secretary (who is a volunteer) will be relieved of having to send out the dues notices, and opening all of the envelopes, and endorsing and depositing the checks. The small fee, charged by the online service, is well worth the savings in time and hassle by the individual member, the lodge, the lodge secretary, and the Grand Lodge. Not to mention, all of the time spent by the lodge secretary chasing down men who do not mail in their dues. In KY, the lodge has to send out a certified letter to all non-payers.

It all boils down to value. The savings in time and hassle, which onlined dues payments provide, is a no-brainer.

Online dues payments is an idea whose time has come.
Charles E. Martin

aogop View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aogop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 1:58pm
Daylight Lodge #232 up here in Seattle has been using PayPal for a very long time. People can pay their dues right off the website.

The interesting thing about their lodge is their dues are calculated by working 40 hours at the Minimum Wage in WA State, not a fixed amount. Right now they pay approx. $200 a year in dues, and the really interesting part is they are also one of the most active lodges around here!

The nice part about PayPal for them, is that members can break up their dues payments throughout the year rather than having to shell out 200 bucks right after Christmas.

Edited by aogop - July/20/2011 at 1:59pm
JerryP.

Shoreline Lodge#248 F&AM

Shoreline, WA.
Groupie View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groupie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 9:17pm
very interesting Post as a MM you learn something everyday thanks brother for the reply !
SJD
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 11:58pm
I  have read many things over the past few months about the price people pay for dues in a craft lodge. Some are as low as $35 per year and others much more.

My question is what is freemasonry worth to you? How much would you be willing to spend a day for a blue lodge membership? The $35 per year comes out to less than a penny per day. If it is worth a quarter per day then dues would be $91.25 per year. At 50 cents a day it comes to $182.50 a year. Even at $1 a day it is only $365 a year.

We hear stories of lodges that are having a hard time staying open due to lack of money for upkeep. When people talk about raising dues even $10 you have people say that they can not afford it and it is to much yet those same people walk out of the room and spend $7 for a glass of scotch at a bar or buys 2 lapel pins for $10. If someone needs relief then the vast majority of brethren vote to give aid yet argue about a small increase in dues.

How many of us by a coke each day from a drink machine or gas station? How about a cup of coffee each morning? We can plop down $3 each day for a starbucks yet can not come up with a few extra bucks each year for freemasonry? Where are our priorities? We need to put it in perspective and decide what freemasonry is worth to us.

Edited by jaya - August/05/2011 at 12:00am
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2011 at 8:16am
We pay dues to attend lodge, honor our obligations, and remain Freemasons in good standing - however, this is NOT freemasonry - just the right to practice it lawfully, and under regularity and recognition as such. 

Dues are just the initial costs, however. Many also incur additional expenses, not begrudgingly, to attend to our charitable causes and care for our beloved fraternity and the members therein. This also, is not Freemasonry, just practicing some of the tenets inculcated in The Order.

There are some concerns I have about the increasing costs, Bro Jaya.

There are many lodges that struggle to keep their beloved buildings, but only use them a few evenings per year. There are also many lodges that struggle to have the minimum prescribed to open their lodge and conduct work, as well as some that struggle to have adequate collective ability/proficiency to perform the rituals and lectures associated with degree work - while others haven't had a candidate darken their door in years. 

There could be tremendous benefit for lodges to consolidate or share facilities with local sister lodges, but few seem to want to, perhaps out of concern about giving up their history, identity, and "lodge culture." I appreciate these concerns. Consolidation is usually seen as unpalatable and a last resort (nuclear option), but if properly approached, it could very well be embraced as an opportunity to expand the horizons of the members and allow us to better leverage the trowel.
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
bdsnook43 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdsnook43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2011 at 8:22am
My Lodge has an online payment page that uses paypal.  I believe we even add in the small charge paypal charges into the dues so the Lodge doesn't pay.

I pay ALL my bills online... from student loans to cable to electric to rent.  So adding the page for Dues is easy lol.

Here it is:
Hillsborough Lodge 25 –JD | Valley of Tampa | Egypt Shrine
John Jackson View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 5:04am
I like your forum, I think it says something that is very reasonable. I will always look to this forum, hoping each time to see some different things.

Edited by daves to remove advertising

Edited by daves - August/17/2011 at 5:16am
rmcgehee View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcgehee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 6:30am
I am of the mind that Dues and Duty go hand in hand. If you are no longer able to "do your duty"the Master is the man to let know.
E- 9/29/81.P- 11/10/81.R- 1/19/82
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic