Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Masonic Torah

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masonic Torah
    Posted: January/11/2012 at 11:51am
Greetings & Happy New Year my Brethren:

A quick question - might anyone know of a vendor that sells a Masonic-themed Torah for Jewish Freemasons?  Similar to the Masonic Bible that's used in Lodge, but with Jewish connotation.  Any help that might be given would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
David

12/05/09: Initiated
02/22/10: Passed
05/17/10: Raised

04/19/11: Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite
03/09/12: Shriners International
11/04/14: York Rite
Tanizaki View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanizaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 12:49pm
I think what you want is a Tanakh. I have not been able to find one online with a quick search, but you could get a nice leather-bound Tanakh and have a square and compasses embossed upon it.

A few years back I was able to find a Masonic Quran. I will check my records for the shipper and maybe he also sells a similar Tanakh.
"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read a book of quotations." - classy Sir Winston Churchill

I crack wise in real life all the time, but have never been to an emergency room. Top notch!
CanuckMason View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanuckMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by ltdave ltdave wrote:

Greetings & Happy New Year my Brethren:

A quick question - might anyone know of a vendor that sells a Masonic-themed Torah for Jewish Freemasons?  Similar to the Masonic Bible that's used in Lodge, but with Jewish connotation.  Any help that might be given would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
David

If you have any Jewish brethren in your lodge, ask if they would prefer to have a Torah or Tanakh.  I have seen both used, and, of course making allowance for personal preferences, both would be acceptable for use in lodge.  Myself, we have a Tanakh in our lodge, as it allows us to open it to the corresponding verses.  In my brother's lodge they use a Torah.

If you go with a Tanakh, I am not aware of any Masonic-themed publications of it, but can recommend some pretty solid printings if you would like.

If you go with a Torah, there are two ways to proceed: book or scroll.  If you go book, I am not aware of any Masonic-themed Chumashim (when the Torah is printed as a book, it is called a Chumash).  You can also go with a miniature Sefer Torah (scroll).  The Torah scrolls you see in synagogues are called Sefers, are huge and heavy, and cost thousands of dollars.  You can, however, get a miniature Sefer for about the same price as a book.  Torah scrolls have coverings, and it wouldn't surprise me if you could find one with a S&C on it.  The problem with the scrolls is that they are difficult to use for Obligations.

Edited by CanuckMason - January/11/2012 at 3:13pm
CLewey44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2015 at 1:15pm
A little late here, but you would think there'd be a market for this. Did you ever find one?
Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
(I): 02 September 2014
(P): 30 December 2014
(R): 17 March 2015
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2015 at 10:08pm
The Grand Lodge of Missouri sells them. I have only seen them listed on an order form but have never actually seen one.  
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2015 at 8:25am
The S and C must be placed upon a portion of the old testament which is essentially the Hebrew bible.

Remember, the christian bible does not cancel the original covenants but we as Christians extend out from there. Both Christians and Jews share the same salvation from God.

Do not assume that the second or new testament replaces the first.

I am not an expert in religion by any means but I have found the history of the evolution of organized religion to be interesting.

Edited: I'm not trying to talk you out of looking for the book of your choice. I'm just rambling on a topic that many people seem to misunderstand. Basically, I'm the guy in the room who is 'that guy' right now :p

Edited by BroScubaSteve - December/29/2015 at 8:27am
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
Arizal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arizal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2016 at 3:23pm
How do I get in touch with the GL of MO?  I would be interested in a Masonic Tanakh as well
Brother Shlomo Bar-Ayal
Golden Rule Clermont McKinley #486
Grand Lodge of New York
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2016 at 6:40pm
You may want to try Heirloom  Bible Co

Google them, they are located in Wichita Ks.

Edited by Sec'yBob - January/19/2016 at 6:14am
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2016 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Arizal Arizal wrote:

How do I get in touch with the GL of MO?  I would be interested in a Masonic Tanakh as well

Go here: momason.org/contact/

But again, I have never seen the "Masonic" Tanakh that is sold by the Grand Lodge of Missouri so I have no idea if there is anything particularly Masonic about it.

Edited by WBScott - January/13/2016 at 8:50pm
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic