Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > The Northwest Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for other Master Masons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAlanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for other Master Masons
    Posted: February/12/2013 at 1:52pm
Obviously each lodge is governed different so mind you I mean no disrespect. Prior to being RAISED to the sublime degree of MM, I was forbidden to talk about masonry to anyone outside of my lodge. This consisted of family members that were masons, friends, etc... 

I understand being proud to be initiated and passed, but showing caution in those degrees and even now is what I was taught. Im not looking to say anyone is right or wrong...but would love your opinion on the matter.
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 4:32pm
There is no such rule here. I would still advise someone to not say much if they think about their EA ob. Look at how many EA and FC are in the forums.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
PHAlanx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAlanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 7:26pm
That is what made me curious. I would have never joined a site prior to receiving the rights lights and benefits...but thats just me
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 7:40pm
Resisting instinct
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
PHAlanx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAlanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2013 at 8:17am
^#true
E: 1/12/12
P: 7/12/12
R: 2/7/13

MW Prince Hall GL of Tennessee

NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2013 at 10:11am
Originally posted by PHAlanx PHAlanx wrote:

Obviously each lodge is governed different so mind you I mean no disrespect. Prior to being RAISED to the sublime degree of MM, I was forbidden to talk about masonry to anyone outside of my lodge. This consisted of family members that were masons, friends, etc... 

I understand being proud to be initiated and passed, but showing caution in those degrees and even now is what I was taught. Im not looking to say anyone is right or wrong...but would love your opinion on the matter.

I can't claim that as a strictly enforced rule in my area, but I can understand.   By instructing you to speak about masonry with only those in your lodge - they are ensuring that you do not unintentionally violate your ob.
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
MasonicFirefighter View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasonicFirefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2013 at 11:08am
Originally posted by NobleShabba NobleShabba wrote:

Originally posted by PHAlanx PHAlanx wrote:

I can't claim that as a strictly enforced rule in my area, but I can understand.   By instructing you to speak about masonry with only those in your lodge - they are ensuring that you do not unintentionally violate your ob.
This. To the OP, how do you know that they are not cowans, or that they are irregular or clandestine Masons? Until you've sat in lodge with them, have examined them, or received lawful information that they are true and regular Masons in relation to your lodge then you don't. Then there's issues of recognition among different jurisdictions, such as recognition of Prince Hall to name the most common. Remember your lectures and listen to your bretheren.

Edited by MasonicFirefighter - February/13/2013 at 11:13am
"Us few good men need to stand together in Light to avoid darkness"

E: 8/2/2011
P: 11/15/2011
R: 3/5/2012

Acacia Lodge #169
Carolina Lodge #375 (Demitted)
boing1972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2015 at 10:05pm
I feel lucky.my girlfriends dad was a 32° and shriner. until he passed away, her step dad, who brought me up is a 2xs past master, also 32° mason, and shriner, and bunkerhill, Her mom was in the eastern star.a brother in law who is a master mason.and my girlfriend is a life time member of the rainbow girls, so.im always encouraged to ask questions and discuss things of the M M degree that I am still learning. It really makes understanding the craft and all aspects of masonry more fun.and I always find myself thanking them for helping me really enjoying my journey.
brother bell
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2015 at 7:59am
This is an old thread, but still a good one.   The directive or advice to a New Mason 'to not speak of Freemasonry outside of the Lodge' is because the new Mason has yet to learn what he can & can not speak of; or what the Masonic secrets are.  
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic