Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > Introduce and accommodate visiting brethren
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Do We Make Good Men Better?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 4:56pm

>Let us know here or  in a tyled forum.

I am not in the tyled forum.

The teaching of the EA  TB is very clear when it is looked at as a narrative rather than a collection of symbols.  (Stand in the middle of the scene and work out appropriate actions)

The use of the mosaic pavement is taught by implication rather than explicitly, as you would expect in a veiled moral science.   There are many veiled hints if we use the ritual and the conventional explanations as starting points rather than an end of investigation. 

For example the illogical attachment of tassels to the corners of the pavement (a carpet has tassels on the sides) can be initially understood by the use of electrical theory - charge accumulates at and streams from the sharpest points.  (The corollary is that the principal officers sit at the entry points for the flow of charge)  Then we might link the 4 tassels to the 4 rivers of Eden, knowing that the term "Eden" is a veiling.  Consider also that the pavement is a solid state device and an antenna - geometry being at the core of Masonry

>you don't know what those "genuine" secrets

I have given multiple entry points in this post, but until the work of the EA is substantially accomplished, it is unusual for the hidden mysteries of nature and science to reveal themselves - in part because the internal noise drowns out the signal.

Edited by Ozzie - October/04/2014 at 6:51pm
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Ozzie Ozzie wrote:

For example the illogical attachment of tassels to the corners of the pavement (a carpet has tassels on the sides) can be initially understood by the use of electrical theory - charge accumulates at and streams from the sharpest points.  (The corollary is that the principal officers sit at the entry points for the flow of charge)  Then we might link the 4 tassels to the 4 rivers of Eden, knowing that the term "Eden" is a veiling.  Consider also that the pavement is a solid state device and an antenna - geometry being at the core of Masonry

You are making unjustified assumptions.    Obviously, you don't know what the tassels represents.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 8:23pm
>Obviously, you don't know what the tassels represents.

It is more a matter of observation.  Masonry being a science, from observation we form hypotheses and use experiment to test those hypotheses.

But failing that the usual explanation is the 4 virtues from Plato's Republic.   

Personally I think it is more accurate to follow the Jewish tradition

Deuteronomy 22:12: "You shall make yourself twisted threads, on the four corners of your garment with which you cover yourself."

So why did the Jews find tassels to be important?   Did they read Plato as well?

droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 8:39pm

>Let us know here or  in a tyled forum.

I am not in the tyled forum.

The teaching of the EA  TB is very clear when it is looked at as a narrative rather than a collection of symbols.  (Stand in the middle of the scene and work out appropriate actions)

The use of the mosaic pavement is taught by implication rather than explicitly, as you would expect in a veiled moral science.   There are many veiled hints if we use the ritual and the conventional explanations as starting points rather than an end of investigation. 

>you don't know what those "genuine" secrets

I have given multiple entry points in this post, but until the work of the EA is substantially accomplished, it is unusual for the hidden mysteries of nature and science to reveal themselves - in part because the internal noise drowns out the signal.

Ozzie,

I have to agree with Ed. This is the second instance in our discussion where your ritual is significantly different than mine. Without going into too much detail, the tassels or tesselated border is much, much differently set up in my ritual. The meaning of the border is very straightforward in my ritual so I  can't see how you can base your analogies of the tassels to electro-magnetic phenomena without giving some basis for your reasoning. That is why I asked if you knew of any rituals, lectures or lessons that would support your statements.

It sounds to me that what you are stating all this represents is your opinion and is not in any ancient Masonic writings and rituals. That is all fine and well if you want to have a discussion on what your interpretations of various Masonic symbols are but if you are saying they are genuine secrets or ancient mysteries, that is a much different story.

I am not going to continue to respond to your posts unless you can corroborate your views with credible Masonic writings or data.  
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 9:15pm

We must each seek our own path.  I regret that I could offer nothing that you valued.

But if you do have some curiosity you may like to ask a few of your brethren if they have experienced anything odd in the temple.   For example, our DC commented to me that he often sees the pavement change colors.  Such anomalous data may be the start of investigations into Masonic Science.

Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2014 at 6:38am
If I may... I think the brothers above are trying to say that your beliefs in your interpretations are yours and yours alone and any attempt at presenting them as scientific fact needs to be backed up and based upon evidence to that end. There are many "secrets" and "mysteries" hidden within Freemasonry. Most of which; I have found, are hidden in plain sight if one would but open their eyes to see.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2014 at 3:15pm
> There are many "secrets" and "mysteries" hidden within Freemasonry. Most of which; I have found, are hidden in plain sight if one would but open their eyes to see.

Quite so.

AaronSawyer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2014 at 7:42pm

> There are many "secrets" and "mysteries" hidden within Freemasonry. Most of which; I have found, are hidden in plain sight if one would but open their eyes to see.

Quite so.

Your interpretations are interesting but this ritual does seem different from ones I've experienced in the past.  Can you elaborate slightly?
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2014 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by clamman clamman wrote:

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but why are non masons posting in this thread?

Hi clamman,

Maybe I can answer this question.

As a non-Mason I am on this forum for a few reasons. To ask about Freemasonry from the experts, actual Freemasons. To demonstrate the research I have done on Freemasonry and learn from both the positive and negative feedback. To ask intelligent questions. To get a feel for Freemasons (they are as rare as fish fur in day to day life) and so far they seem pretty awright. To get a feel for dynamic Freemasonry as opposed to the static Masonry of my readings of various manuals etc. Finally to gather insights into Freemasonry and compare it to the rhetoric of the anti-Masons (which appear to all be based on a defense of Christianity).

I am on this particular thread to offer some naïve advice (out of the mouth of babes, so to speak) which might be of help.

And finally, I greatly appreciate being allowed to interact with experienced Freemasons as far as I am able to formulate relative questions and answers.

Hope this helps? Thanx!
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
dhoward575 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhoward575 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2014 at 8:31pm
I'm a fairly new MM, but I am an active member of our lodge. I also have the privilege (due to my work and travel) of being able to visit other lodges around the state and also a few across state lines. And believe me this topic is discussed at every lodge to some extent or another.

I can tell you that we have definitely been discussing it in lodge especially amongst the leadership. I live in a small to medium size city in southern Alabama. We have around 25 lodges within a 50 mile radius. Some are older lodges and some are fairly new. My home lodge is the newest in the area. We will be celebrating our 50th next year.

One of the allures of Freemasonry is the tradition whether it is in the ceremonies and rituals or just in the history handed down from generation to generation. But unless we start engaging our members (as another brother stated) then what we are left with is a few core members who eventually age and pass on with very little or no "new blood" left to revitalize the lodge. We have to find a balance between tradition and progress. Things like a maintained lodge website can help attract younger members since they are definitely part of the electronic age.

Also, the younger generation is very much into validity. Meaning what is the purpose of the fraternity. If the lodge meets once or twice a month only to sit and idly chat over coffee for an hour then move into open lodge to discuss business and bills then where is the purpose. We have to start showing up in the community even if it's just sponsoring things like blood drives. We have to start reaching out to those around us instead of just being contained within the brotherhood. Maybe then people will see a little truth about who we are and peak some interest. And maybe the newer members will find some purpose in their journey.

Just my opinions.
Bro. Howard
2014 Sr. Steward & Webmaster
H. E. Palmes Lodge #917
ouija21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ouija21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2014 at 10:49pm
To make a good man a better one it begins with one's self. The allegory and rituals performed have many meanings to help you reach that goal. Yet if a man joins for anything other then becoming better then he will find difficulties but could still break through . I liken it to any vice or superfluity one has. If one says "I will stop smoking soon to improve my heath" will they? Perhaps but they still have it. Now if one says "I am finished with smoking to improve myself and inspire others" and truly stop. Ah their is the answer. Ask not how Masonry can make good men better. Yet does the man joining desire to be better? & if so then in my opinion they will find it indeed. Great question and I must say my opinion by no means speaks for anyone or in any way means to undermine you or anyone. It is a very deep question and I would like to sum it up with thus... Know Thyself
fm wnc cm yu?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic