Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving up to fast?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving up to fast?
    Posted: June/20/2014 at 9:45am
Hello Brethren!

I know it's been a while since I've posted so let me first say it's good to have some time to finally get on the forum again.
Life's been pretty busy for me. Working two jobs and applying to graduates schools is very time consuming not to mention all the other obligations I have in my life. This actually bring me to the issue I want to raise. Due to the death of my Chapter's Captain of the Host, I have now assumed that role. I am also the Senior Deacon in my BL. If all goes as they normally do, I would end up as both the WM and HP in the same year! For those who have held the positions, or those in other bodies, should I hold back a year in one (i.e. stay king in the Chapter and extra year) or embrace the opportunity?
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - King
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2014 at 3:55pm
What's the feedback of those who have gone before?   Is there enough time to do justice to both? Will you end up doing a so-so job in both instead of a great job in one?
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
Tarditi View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarditi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2014 at 8:23am
If you invest a lot of time and energy into the role of WM, there will be precious little left for anything else.

Leadership in other bodies is usually not as demanding, and there is usually some flexibility in remaining a year or so to align your available time with your other obligations and commitments. I've seen it done a lot in the York Rite, for instance.

My recommendation would be to focus on your year in the East in Blue Lodge - it can be a demanding, rewarding, fulfilling experience - if you allow it to be.

Travel Well.
Dustin Tarditi, PM
James B Green #735 A.F. & A.M.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2014 at 9:23am
My opinion is that you you could not do justice to either office by doing both at the same time. Let's say you are really good, hold each office at the same time and do a decent job in both. After looking back you are quite likely to think of how much better you could have done in each if you didn't have the burden of the other. You are likely to have regrets. I have seen people do both but it is almost always because there was a desperate need to fill one of the offices. A lot of men I know who have done this have left burned out, frustrated and disillusioned. 

My advice would be if you can avoid it don't do both at the same time. My own opinion is serve your Blue Lodge first and if everything is OK there do the Chapter. Most appendent bodies recognize that Blue Lodge comes first and will be understanding of one not taking a high office there while they have obligations in their Blue Lodge.
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 4:14pm
It depends entirely on how busy the HRAM is in your area and also if the other leaders can step up to the plate.

Being a WM is a LOT of work that would take your time 
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2014 at 9:57pm
I would not advise both. You will surely not enjoy the experiences as much. You are young. These chances will still be there.
Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2014 at 2:48pm

Take your time and fiinish the BL; being WM is equivalent to having a PT job. Focus on being the best in each chair and I think you will be happier.

PM Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
GC Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic