Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Masonic Associated Organizations & Forums > York Rite Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 10 Events in York Rite History

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSigMason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 10 Events in York Rite History
    Posted: August/07/2014 at 8:49pm
History is a passion of mine and I love all that I do on this blog. I wanted to change things up so in November I created a poll to see what my audience thought were the Top 10 Events that have affected the York Rite of Freemasonry. Out of the options available, here were the results of the Top 10:

The Regius Poem/Halliwell Manuscript 
Formation of the first Grand Lodge 
The First Recorded Conferral of Early Knights Templar 
Thomas Smith-Webb's Monitor 
Formation of the UGLE 
Combining of the Royal Master and Select Master degrees 
The Morgan Affair 
Formation of the General Grand Chapter 
Formation of the Grand Encampment 
Formation of the first Grand Council

The Regius Poem/Halliwell Manuscript

This manuscript is admitted to be the oldest genuine records of Craft of Masonry known today. It is said to have been written between the late 14th century and the mid-15th century. The text is poetic and begins with the history of the Craft, starting with Euclid’s invention of geometry in ancient Egypt. In it can also be found rules of conduct for Master Masons.

The manuscript was recorded in various personal inventories as it changed hands until it came into possession of the Royal Library, which was donated to the British Museum in 1757 by King George II to form the nucleus of the present British Library. The significance of the document as relating to Freemasonry was not realized until it was featured in an article on Freemasonry by James Halliwell in 1840. The text of the document states that Freemasonry was brought to England during the reign of King Athelstan from 924 to 939. It is from this assembly at York which is where the American Masonic term "York Rite" derives its name from.

Edited by KSigMason - August/07/2014 at 8:50pm
Bro. Barry E. Newell

Traveling Templar - 04MAR2017
AaronSawyer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AaronSawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2014 at 3:58pm
This was an enjoyable read.  Thanks for posting! I'll be checking out your site for updates.
Mike Martin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2014 at 10:57am
I would recommend that you acquire a copy of "Masonic facts and Fictions" written by Henry Sadler and published in 1877.
It would help you to adjust some of the assertions in the top ten.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic