Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is this forum's opinion on Albert G Mackey?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is this forum's opinion on Albert G Mackey?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this forum's opinion on Albert G Mackey?
    Posted: September/20/2014 at 9:56am
*open-ended question*
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2014 at 3:09pm
In my opinion, he focuses too much on everything else, except the craft itself... 
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2014 at 3:35pm
huh?
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2014 at 4:46pm
Oh my - I just realized the error I made... for some reason, I thought the topic is on Manly P. Hall... I don't like his writings as they are too speculative. 
My apologies!
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2014 at 11:22am
no worries
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
Mike Martin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2014 at 6:40am
Being in England nearly 100% of Freemasons here have never heard of him. However, the arrival of the Internet and the loonies that inhabit has introduced some of us to him.

Sadly most people on both sides of the Masonic equation do not appear to have actually properly read his books, especially Morals and Dogma which I bought from the US to find out what all the fuss was about.
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2014 at 8:12am
Uhhh... Morals and Dogma is an Albert Pike book.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Mike Martin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

Uhhh... Morals and Dogma is an Albert Pike book.

Ah hahh, so you spotted my deliberate error, just checking everyone was awake. ConfusedBig smileWink
Abert Mackey was a bit better than Albert Pike but again someone pretty much unknown this side of the Atlantic. I have bought and read some of his books also and like the fact that he tried to encourage the Brethren to read more about Freemasonry. I liked his work generally (particularly - the History of Freemasonry: its Legendary Origins and his Encyclopaedia) but lost sympathy when I realised that the list of 25 "landmarks" that I hear about sometimes from US brethren were actually compiled by him.

Here every Freemason knows that no one Freemason can speak for Freemasonry and even a Grand Master may only speak for his own Grand Lodge while he is at its head but this man laid down his own version of the Landmarks of Freemasonry which I find a bit presumptuous of him.

Edited by Mike Martin - September/29/2014 at 7:04am
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 6:42pm
Did he lay them down or merely compile and report them as they had been circulating?
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 7:15pm
I rather like Albert Mackey.  He solved a problem that had puzzled me for 20 years: Why is Masonry veiled in allegory?

As a system of morality, surely it should be taught as plainly as possible so that all the brethren can practice that morality.   Is there something about the peculiar system of morality that is so peculiar that Masonry dare not say it plainly?

Mackey solved the problem.  He knows the saying as:  Masonry is a science of morality, veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols.

And the key benefit of a science is being able to produce large results from small efforts.

Thus a practitioner of moral science ought to be able easily to change the moral structure of those around - for good or evil. 

No wonder the system/science is veiled in allegory.

Now we have a quite different meaning to the proposition that the working tools can be used in a moral sense.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic