Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting to far ahead?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting to far ahead?
    Posted: September/30/2014 at 2:01pm
Afternoon everyone I am currently the lodges Tyler but in the time since I was Raised to the sublime degree I have begun learning a lot of work. IE from JS to JD. So in my observations only a few brothers knew the MC Lect. And I have noticed a lot of the other brothers made it through the SD chair worhout even learning it. So I took it upon myself to attack te work for that recently. I was successful last night I practiced it with the soon to be WM he was very pleased although I have not done it in open lodge I have the words down. My question is am I helping myself by learning the work for a few years ahead of my position?
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 4:37pm
short answer... Yes.   If you're planning to go up through the chairs...The more you know the better.
However, you know what they say... if you don't use it, you lose it.  
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 4:50pm
You should at least know the work for the next higher office as you would normally be expected to step into that office in the absence or incapacitation of the current officeholder. If you can learn the work for higher offices than that without jeopardizing your current responsibilities I would say no harm done. You would probably forget a lot of it in the intervening years but it would come back quicker and take you a lot less time to master it than if you were just looking at it for the first time.

Edited by droche - September/30/2014 at 4:51pm
jdeal View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 5:58pm
Agreed I just want to be properly prepared for my journey and I have had to stand in above my current role. There is also the possibility of a brother stepping out of the line. I enjoy learning the work though.
Anthony660 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 6:26pm
My recommendation is that you become proficient in the work of your current chair and the one ahead of you. Dont jump too far ahesad as you want to be able to enjoy the journey and not become burned out.
PM Alhambra #322 F&AM
West Covina #446 F&AM
Pasadena Valley AASR
Al Malaikah Shrine AAONMS
Cinema Grotto, MOVPER
GC Aben Zoar, Order of Alhambra
Pscyclepath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pscyclepath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 9:24pm
Too far ahead??   Not at all...

We all seek the light at our own pace.   In my case, when I was promoted to senior deacon, I resolved to learn all the parts pertaining to that chair.  My home lodge not being very much on ritual instruction at the time, I traveled to a neighboring lodge and got a couple of brothers to lecture me.   After the first session or two, they said, "If you're going to learn the one part, you might as well learn it all."   So started about a year and a half's work culminating in my getting my certification card in all the Work...  just about halfway through the JW chair.  It's been a benefit, as I travel around to degrees I can help fill in about any chair, and as a certified instructor, help out our smaller lodges as well as individual brethren.  
Knowing your work - in any chair - opens a lot of doors to you as well as gives you a lot of additional insight to the ritual itself as you see how it all fits together, and as you ponder on it, there are very few wasted words in there.

Follow your vision, brother.  Far too many people don't take an interest in the work, and in many cases that's a serious detriment to the lodge and to the fraternity.

Tom Ezell
Adoniram #288, F&AM
Mablevale, AR
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic