Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving to the East

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA Mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving to the East
    Posted: October/02/2014 at 12:20pm
Currently blue lodge Seniors Wardens in Pennsylvania must be certified by the School of Instruction in two of the three degrees to be eligible to move to the East.  What are the requirements in other states?
js584 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js584 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 3:14pm
In Indiana, a pulse unfortunately.  Oh and must have been a Warden
Caution1010 View Drop Down
Bro. Never Give Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caution1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 3:24pm
Warden for a year.
I: 10/1/10
P: 12/3/10
R: 12/31/10

PHA-AL

"You can't trust those fellow-crafts...buncha rogues and murderers!"
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 9:40pm
In lodges holding of the GL of Scotland you have to be a Master Mason, a 'Qualified Member' (that is, have your dues paid!) and be elected by the brethren! You do NOT have to have been a Warden. In my experience the brethren chosen to be Master are, as a rule, excellent ritualists and any administrative weaknesses are covered for by the Lodge General Committee.

If I may ask another question - in your jurisdiction are elections for Master usually (or, for that matter,ever) contested? In Scottish lodges ALL offices except Immediate Past Master (the outgoing Master's by right) and Depute Master and Substitute Master (I know! - but that , as they say, is another story)  are elected at the Annual Meeting. A slate is presented drawn up by the General Committee and I have never known of a lodge in which further nominations were ever made!
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
Ozzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 10:38pm
In Australia I belong to 2 craft lodges - both Scottish.

In one, all of the offices (other than IPM) come up for nominations, but I have never seen a second nomination for any position.  This is partly because it is an harmonious lodge and with a very good secretary who sorts out all these matters some months in advance.  Actually last time, I was SW and reluctant to go through again, since I was planning some trips, and managed to persuade the sitting Master to repeat.  The JW was unwilling to proceed to SW but we had a good SD who is now SW.

In the other lodge, there must be at least 2 nominations for Master and there is a secret ballot.  Then the incoming Master must sort out a ritual team.

In both lodges the nominees for Master must have served as Warden for a full term

Pscyclepath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pscyclepath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2014 at 11:39pm
1.  To be a paid-up member in good standing of said lodge.
2.  To have turned in your Master Mason's proficiency at some time or other.
3.  To have served at least a year as a warden.

Tom Ezell
Adoniram #288, F&AM
Mablevale, AR
PA Mason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA Mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 7:16am
When I started this topic I should have explained the reason for my question, so here goes.  The lodges in our district are all rural and therefore small.  The Senior Wardens have moved up through the chairs.  They know how to open and close their lodges and in general run a lodge meeting.  They have also performed their parts in ritualistic work during their time in the chairs but the one thing they all lack is the ability to perform two degrees as Worshipful Master which is a new requirement from the Grand Lodge this year.  This prevents them from being on the ballot in December for Worshipful Master and in all cases causes the lodge to recycle a Past Master to the East.  We do have a limited number of Past Masters that can give a degree if needed.  All degrees in Pennsylvania are given from memory.  My worry is that this requirement is preventing good men from entering the East.  We all have busy lives and learning two degrees is big time commitment and not everyone is blessed with an excellent memory.
PA Mason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA Mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 7:27am
Elections in the lodges in our district have never been contested to my memory.  The reason for this is that we are small rural lodges that do not take in a lot of new members.  In fact we have problems with members that pay their dues each year but never show up for a meeting.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 7:39am
Then hold ritual practices sessions for the SW (& JW) to learn the parts and to demonstrate  that he can do the rituals.    This shouldn't be a big deal.     ... I firmly believe a WM should be able to do all three degrees.

When i was in the East, I did ALL three degrees.    In my Lodge, we do not move the SW or JW to the East for the FC or EA degrees like many other GL/Lodges do.    So when I was in the East it was time to prove that I could do all three degrees.    ... Other Past Masters of my Lodge simple asked another PM to do the degrees for them.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 3:06pm
When you say a Master must be able to 'do' a degree do you mean the Master must himself do most of the ritual? In both Jurisdictions here it is usual for many of the charges in a degree nominally assigned to the Master to be 'farmed out' to other brethren. Not only does this relieve the workload on the Master but it gets brethren involved in Lodge work who might otherwise lose interest. As a Past Master I have one or two charges in each degree that I am available 'at the drop of a hat' to do.

In addition, there are several short charges (say, 3 or 4 sentences) in out ritual which are ideal for assigning to new master masons to get their feet wet in doing ritual work.

Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by js584 js584 wrote:

In Indiana, a pulse unfortunately.  Oh and must have been a Warden

I believe it is the same here in Kentucky. I'm a relatively new MM and am not positive.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by CanadianPaul CanadianPaul wrote:

When you say a Master must be able to 'do' a degree do you mean the Master must himself do most of the ritual? ...

No, I mean the W Master should be able to conduct the degree from the East, personally obligate the Candidate,  give the grip & word, and give the working tools lecture.   Other longer lectures are usually given by other Brethren.    ... I have seen W Masters who can not do this and ask a Past Master to take the East for the degree.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
PA Mason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA Mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2014 at 6:02pm
In our lodge and district the Master gives the obligation, lecture, and charges in each degree.  The MM degree is over 8,000 words all learned by "mouth to ear".
goomba View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2014 at 12:50pm
In AL serve as a warden.
MM, RAM, RSM, KT, KM, SRICF

Living in the DC area.
Pscyclepath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pscyclepath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2014 at 7:33am
Part of my personal prep to move through the chairs was to get my instructor's certification, currently have my "blue card" for the vast majority of the work, and am closing in on completing the collection with the "red card," which covers the second section of the Master's degree.  Sitting in either the West or the East is no time to be learning that stuff for the first time ;-)

While I think that it's important for the Master to be able to personally do those things at the tip of his hat, it's also important to keep the brethren involved by assigning them parts in the degrees, from master of ceremonies all the way up to conferring as the Master or raising as Solomon...   Otherwise they just sit on the sidelines and grouse or sleep ;-)

Tom Ezell
Adoniram #288, F&AM
Mablevale, AR
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2014 at 9:18pm
In Missouri, just like Indiana, a brother must have been elected as a Warden (either one), but there is no specified time that he must serve in that station.
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic