Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > Hobbies & Special Interests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who else is an amateur radio operator?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who else is an amateur radio operator?
    Posted: October/26/2014 at 12:03pm
I have been an amateur radio operator since well before I became involved with Freemasonry. My bio picture on QRZ shows me in full Masonic regalia and I have had several people comment on my picture while engaged in a QSO. (The picture is from my last installation as WM)

And even though I am pretty much "old school" in amateur radio (I am one of those who held all five licenses and passed all three CW tests), I found a Masonic Gathering on EchoLink. Say what you want about EchoLink not being "real radio", but it allows us to get together every Sunday evening without the "overhead" of trying to hold a net over the air. Everyone comes in loud and clear no matter where they are in the country and this allows us to share Masonic fellowship without having to deal with propagation and band conditions.

73!
de Scott NØIU

Edited by WBScott - October/26/2014 at 12:11pm
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2014 at 12:31pm
I am W1MTX. Also old school; ham since 1957; Extra class since 1961; all code licenses. Mostly work CW and digital modes now as my hearing has pretty well disappeared

While in the AF, I was VK6CH, VR2GE, VK4ZV and VK8ZA

Been a Mason since 1979.
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2014 at 2:45pm
I am also a licensed amateur radio operator. My call is WA3CWA and I have been licensed continuously since 1964 and presently hold the advanced class license. You might say that I am old school also. Recently I bought a new two meter rig and am still amazed that you program the frequencies in it by using a computer. Whenever I get on the air with one of my older radios, a Drake TR-3, it always elicits comments like "Wow, what beautiful audio."
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2014 at 3:59pm
I am AB4Y. Old school. First licensed in 1976 as WA4YRA (Young radio amateur). Also DA1NR, WA4YRA/LX, WA4YRA/OE7, PA9BBN, F0IHZ, F/AB4Y, AB4Y/ZS. I operated HZ1AB, and XE4MAX as well.

Passed all four exams" Novice, General, Advanced, Extra. I was the first person to complete the entire exam sequence, outside the USA (all in Germany, test administered by the FCC examiner)

I started a "Hiram Hams" club in Columbus OH. We had our own degree team, the first person we raised was N8MMR (Master Mason Radio).

I started the ham radio club at Aladdin Temple Shrine. the "Voice of Aladdin".

It was a ham operator, the late Don Tuggle N4AOC who originally got me started in Freemasonry .
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic