Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lodge Offices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lodge Offices
    Posted: November/14/2014 at 8:49am
My mother Lodge here in Canada holds of the GL of Scotland, and I am therefore familiar with lodges under that constitution and also with those under the GL of Newfoundland and Labrador. Although there are many different rituals in use in these lodges they are all roughly similar to 'Emulation'. I have noticed two things when reading posts on this site that indicate that the Offices found in some American jurisdictions differ from those I am used to.

Firstly, I have read references to the office of 'Marshall'. This office is not found in lodges here but it is found in both our District Grand Lodge (under the GL of Scotland) and in the GL of NL. In our DGL the Marshall is in charge in processions in public. Inside the lodge during meetings the 'Director of Ceremonies' is in charge of organising the floorwork etc. I am wondering if those lodges that have "Marshalls'  also have Directors of Ceremony or are the Marshall's duties essentially those of our DoC.

Secondly, I have read that in some jurisdictions there is no 'Inner Guard' whose duties in my lodge are to ' admit brethren on proof,  to receive candidates in due form, and to obey the commands of the Worshipful Junior Warden'.  If a lodge has no Inner Guard, who carries out these duties?

I would appreciate any information on these points.
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2014 at 9:27am
I am a Marshal in New Jersey.

I keep decorum when a ballot is open. I make sure everyone has voted and ask those to vote if they have not done so. I ask the brethren to give the grand honors, lead the craftsmen in double files and have the pleasure of holding the candidate by the arm as we circumambulate around the lodge room. If there are more than one, I assign assistant marshals to help me. The SD leads the circumambulation. I return to my place when the SW takes over to instruct the candidate how to AtE.

I sit next to the Chaplin on his left.

We do not have a DoC or an inner guard here. The JD attends to all alarms at the od.

Our SD attends all alarms at the ID, receives CiDF and also receives guests.

Edited: Even some jurisdictions in the US do not have a Marshal's place. It is a weird chair. Your staff is a baton. Nice for thumping Brothers who get too rowdy when in line to vote!

Edited by BroScubaSteve - November/14/2014 at 9:30am
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2014 at 10:59am
In my Lodges, and I presume some other GLs in the Us, the Marshall is appointed as needed when needed.   He officeates at Ceremonies, primarily at installations.   ... We have no Inner Guard.   Those duties are the duties of the Jr. Deacon who sits on the right of the SW near the outer door.

Since Freemasonry came to the US long before the Unification of 1813 directly from the GL of England, Scotland, and Ireland. I attribute the difference you see as being part of the changes cause by the Unification.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2014 at 12:38pm
In Kentucky, some (not all) lodges have a "marshal" (notice the spelling). The marshal assists in some duties, especially in the installation of new officers.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 10:15am
Originally posted by BroScubaSteve BroScubaSteve wrote:

I am a Marshal in New Jersey.

I keep decorum when a ballot is open. I make sure everyone has voted and ask those to vote if they have not done so. I ask the brethren to give the grand honors, lead the craftsmen in double files and have the pleasure of holding the candidate by the arm as we circumambulate around the lodge room. If there are more than one, I assign assistant marshals to help me. The SD leads the circumambulation. I return to my place when the SW takes over to instruct the candidate how to AtE.

I sit next to the Chaplin on his left.

We do not have a DoC or an inner guard here. The JD attends to all alarms at the od.

Our SD attends all alarms at the ID, receives CiDF and also receives guests.

Edited: Even some jurisdictions in the US do not have a Marshal's place. It is a weird chair. Your staff is a baton. Nice for thumping Brothers who get too rowdy when in line to vote!

These are basically the duties here of a Director of Ceremonies, which is a regular lodge Office. His seat is in the middle of the North.  The DoC even carries a baton! About the only difference I see is in the conducting of candidates - here in the EA degree that is the duty of the JD; in the FC and MM degrees the SD.

I assume OD = outer door and ID = inner door. Our lodges only have one guarded door - in the west, with the Tyler outside armed with a sword and the Inner Guard inside armed with, according to our ritual, a 'sharp instrument'! Other lodges  call it a 'poniard' - basically a dagger!

My understanding is that at the time of the uniting of the two English Grand Lodges ( the "Moderns' and the "Ancients') in 1813 (?) one of them usd the system with an IG and one the system without. I understand sume jurisdictions in the US claim descent from the 'Moderns'  and others from the "Ancients'. Are there then some Grand Lodges in the US that use an IG?

The object in both cases, of course, is to see that only those qualified to do so can enter the Lodge when it is open.

As to the two systems - they have, as we say here, 'the same difference' - ie nothing important, really!

Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 2:36pm
The marshal here is a permanent position. The inner door is only used during degree work and the knocks from within are answered by the SD.

interesting to read about yhe subtle differences in the layout of the lodge
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
CanadianPaul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 4:19pm
Respecting the layout of the lodges - in all but one or two lodges here the altar is not located in the centre of the lodge but rather towards the East at the east end of the mosaic pavement. The Three Great Lights are, of course, upon the altar while the three lesser lights - now electrically lit, alas, rather than being candles, are not located around the altar but one each in front of the Master, the SW and the JW.

Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

jdeal View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 4:23pm
Interesting discussion.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic