Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GL/State Profeciency Poll

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Should all GLs have the same profeciency requirements for advancement?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [33.33%]
5 [55.56%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GL/State Profeciency Poll
    Posted: January/02/2015 at 2:10pm
http://bessel.org/advance.htm

Here is each GL/state requirement for advancement thru the degrees of Freemasonry in the U.S.

This is strictly out of curiosity, I wondered what others thought on the matter.
Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
(I): 02 September 2014
(P): 30 December 2014
(R): 17 March 2015
Troberts505 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Troberts505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2015 at 3:23pm
I think that each state does a pretty good job. I would prefer if everyone learned and memorized the long form, however this just isn't always the reality. If a man is in the military and is shipped off to some foreign land I feel that he should be a master mason, even if he hasn't completed the proficiencies. There is always time to learn and exhibit what you have learned when you get home. However, if he doesn't make it home at least he can be buried in his apron. There are also cases where a man tries and tries, helps in lodge, is a good brother to all but just cannot memorize 4,000 words. I feel that he should be able to do some abbreviated form IE: Short Form.
Initiated 04/05/2013
Passed 05/15/2013
Raised 06/19/2013
Hiram Lodge #13
Mesa Lodge #68
Albuquerque, NM
CLewey44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLewey44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2015 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Troberts505 Troberts505 wrote:

I think that each state does a pretty good job. I would prefer if everyone learned and memorized the long form, however this just isn't always the reality. If a man is in the military and is shipped off to some foreign land I feel that he should be a master mason, even if he hasn't completed the proficiencies. There is always time to learn and exhibit what you have learned when you get home. However, if he doesn't make it home at least he can be buried in his apron. There are also cases where a man tries and tries, helps in lodge, is a good brother to all but just cannot memorize 4,000 words. I feel that he should be able to do some abbreviated form IE: Short Form.

That's a great point, sir. It could (or should) be circumstantial for sure. If you were initiated and then activated to deploy overseas, it'd be a very nice gesture if the lodge went ahead and passed and raised him right away and maybe gave him some literature to read on his deployment. At the very least to keep his mind occupied.

As for being unable to learn it, that's a tough situation there. I'm not sure how I feel on that. Sound in body and mind comes to thought.

I certainly didn't perfect my first 2 proficiency lectures but I tried my best and at least stood up there and gave it my best effort. I saw a young man the other day really struggle up there on the spot. I was nervous for him as he stepped back and fourth, tapped his shoes together, wiggling his feet, throwing his head back when he couldn't remember a portion and essentially by the end was practically just repeating back what the questioner was saying. In his defense, he did his best, hung in there despite being extremely stage frightened and did what he could. He was passed and will now received his MM ceremony soon. I say if it's required, you must get over your fears and dive into it the best you can. In my lodge from what I understand, it's extremely rare someone wouldn't get voted as proficient if the man at least gave his best effort.

Being sound in body and mind is important and to me, it's a nice way for some people to get over public speaking fears and gaining a little self-confidence maybe. I always feel men can do more than they think they can for sure.

Great points and thanks for your input, Bro. Roberts!
Edmond Lodge #37
Washington Lodge #36
OES Chapter #247
Bro. J. Clint Lewey
(I): 02 September 2014
(P): 30 December 2014
(R): 17 March 2015
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2015 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Troberts505 Troberts505 wrote:

There are also cases where a man tries and tries, helps in lodge, is a good brother to all but just cannot memorize 4,000 words.

Amen to that!

Here is an edited part of a post I made in another thread:

There is a brother in our lodge who admittedly isn't not all that keen on ritual. This year he is the Senior Deacon and does an OK job at the ritual for his station. Not great, but OK. He can do his part in the opening and closing of the lodge, but he lets another brother take his chair for degree work. Last Spring he headed the committee to organize our lodge's first golf tournament which was held in September 2014. Our lodge received its charter in 1852 and this golf tournament alone raised more money for our children's charities than any other single event we have ever held in over 162 years. 

There is another brother in our lodge who is in a similar position as the brother above. He has never held a chair in our lodge and honestly has no desire to do so. He is our representative to the Missouri Department of Conservation's "Share The Harvest" campaign. This program helps deer hunters donate surplus venison to the needy. Last year our lodge alone was responsible for the donation of over 2000 pounds of venison to our local food pantry. So far this year we have already donated over 2500 pounds. 

This same gentleman organized a committee to help a local women's shelter build an additional bathroom. The facility has 21 beds but they only had one bathroom... for 21 women (and their children). The facility had the space for an additional bathroom and shower, but they are completely dependent on donations and never had enough money to build it. This brother and his committee members went out in the community and contacted local architects, general contractors, plumbers, electricians, hardware and appliance wholesalers. The new "powder room" and laundry facility is being built as we speak. Due to his efforts, 100% of the material and labor are being donated to the project.

Another point I made was that we don't remember George Washington because he always took off with his left foot and always squared his corners. We remember him for his leadership. Yes, ritual is important but it is only one part of being a Freemason. And using the example of those two brethren in our lodge, it is a pretty insignificant part. 
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2015 at 7:08am
There is another idea I would like to put on the table: Can anyone locate what were the established proficiency requirements back in the 1700's?

Maybe that would be a good "reference point" to use for the discussion, and then we would be able to gauge if the different GL's are "raising" or "lowering" the bar in comparison to that.

Edited by NobleShabba - January/05/2015 at 7:09am
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2015 at 8:15am
It has probably been about 15 years, but the Grand Lodge of Missouri dropped the proficiency requirement. As you can well imagine, there quite a bit of controversy over this at the time! One of the things they were looking at was the constant decline in the number of members. We do so many great things in our communities, but we can't do them without people... or money.

But despite all of the worst fears of those men that we would become a watered-down version of what we used to be, what we have ended up with is men like the two I described above. If we still had proficiencies, I doubt we would have either one of those two. 

I guess this is a bit selfish to say, but knowing those two men as I do, I am sure they would be doing similar things for some other worthy organization, but I am personally very glad they chose us!

Edited by WBScott - January/05/2015 at 8:17am
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2015 at 8:52am
I'm sure they ALL DO!    ... Some more strict than others   ... while some may be lenient than others.   But, ALL have some sort of requirements.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic