Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > Hobbies & Special Interests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My picture: Moby Dick culture vultures.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My picture: Moby Dick culture vultures.
    Posted: January/12/2015 at 12:29pm
I attended the 25 hour Moby Dick book reading Marathon #19 held on Jan. 3-4,2015 at the New Bedford Whaling Museum down in New Bedford MA.

In this photograph you can see me sitting to the far left, with a blue hat on, glasses, clean shaven, with a green fleece.

https://twitter.com/Beardfather_Joe/status/551740487712124929/photo/1

We sat all night reading Moby Dick. I was surprised to learn how many 18th century whaling captains out of New Bedford were Masons!

Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2015 at 12:52pm
Maybe this will help. Again, I am sitting to the far left of the photograph wearing a blue ball cap, glasses, clean shaven, wearing a green fleece.

http://tinyurl.com/m9r8ty6
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2015 at 3:19pm
Again, another photograph of me at the Moby Dick marathon #19 -- with me visible sitting to the left of the whale skull with my blue hat, green fleece, glasses and reading Moby Dick. Geek

instagram.com/p/xa1mLJC23x/
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2016 at 10:29am
O.K. One Year Later. Moby Dick Marathon 20th Anniversary. January 10th, 2016 @ 3 A.M.

I reading, 3 A.M. time slot, Reader #97, on the right side podium wearing a green fleece, red ball cap, and glasses :

http://livestream.com/accounts/75698/events/4629228

I am reading Moby Dick between times: 06:15:44 and 06:26:25.

P.S. that piece of modern art between the two podiums is supposed to be 'Queequeg's Coffin'.

Thanks for your patience.
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2016 at 11:31am
To make it easier:

From middle of Chapter 41 - beginning of Chapter 126.

Time: 06:15:44 to 06:26:25
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2016 at 8:16pm
Went through New Bedford just today. Many whaling captains were also Quakers, of which I used to be one. (A Quaker that is, not a whaling captain.)

Edited by droche - January/16/2016 at 8:20pm
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 11:32am
Hi Droche!

I believe New Bedford was founded by Quakers who were persecuted out of Boston and migrated down to Bedford, then renamed it New Bedford along the Acushnet River.

It was the whaleship 'ACUSHNET' that Herman Melville shipped out in ~1840.

The Quakers became the preeminent whalers of the 19th century surpassing the Nantucket Quakers in whale oil production by the 1820s.

The third oldest Mason Lodge is found on Nantucket Island (the Union Lodge, 1771.

And there is a prominent Mason Lodge in New Bedford. Again, after reading several texts on New Bedford whaling I was surprised at how many New Bedford whaling captains were Masons. Almost all were Quakers.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2016 at 5:47pm
I think you are right about New Bedford being founded by Quakers. My wife's maternal grandfather (not a Quaker) was Master of a Lodge in New Bedford. There are three Lodges in New Bedford, I don't know which one he was in. Her paternal grandfather was a Quaker and he might have been born on Nantucket, the family history is clouded on that, but his father definitely was from Nantucket though not involved in whaling. I have always been interested in Quakers who are also Masons. They are very few. The denomination sort of frowns upon it but tolerates it, or did tolerate it. Since so many whalers were Quakers and Masons, I'd be interested to know how many were both, if any.
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2016 at 5:11pm
I found out by reading IN THE HEART OF THE SEA by Nathaniel Philbrick (who had the opening line - call me Ishmael - at the Moby Dick marathon) that the original ( non-Quaker and non-Wompanoag Indian) settlers of Nantucket came from Newburyport, MA.

New Bedford itself was founded by Quakers (driven out of Boston by Puritans).  Lots of Quakers (and Baptists) were hanged on the Boston Common late 1690s early 1700s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic