Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

declining membership

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boing1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: declining membership
    Posted: March/08/2015 at 1:36pm
It seems that masonry membership has declined over the years. With the Internet spewing lies and conspiracy theories, how and what would be a good way to attract new membership ? Most of the brothers in my lodge and a few we regularly visit, either had family or close friends already in the craft.
brother bell
aogop View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aogop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2015 at 2:47pm
It is safe to say we will probably never reach the same membership levels we had decades ago. Efforts have been made in recent years to make Freemasonry "easier" in the hopes of increasing membership and retention. Studies done by the GL of BC&Yukon, Canada have shown those efforts really haven't amounted to much. Retention appears to hover around 35%, once a person becomes an EA.

To counter this, a shift in focus is happening in many GLs, where the mindset of "Quality over Quantity" is taking hold. BC&Yukon have started a "6-Step" program, aimed at potential candidates... before they even turn in a petition. Our GL is following the same program. It is too early to gauge it's success, but 2 lodges in my District have people in the program, and I was told so far it is a positive experience. Let me see if I can find some links.
JerryP.

PM- Shoreline Lodge#248 F&AM

Shoreline, WA.
aogop View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aogop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2015 at 2:55pm
freemasonry.bcy.ca/ddgm/tab_7_six_steps_to_initiation.pdf

See if that works
JerryP.

PM- Shoreline Lodge#248 F&AM

Shoreline, WA.
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2015 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by boing1972 boing1972 wrote:

With the Internet spewing lies and conspiracy theories, how and what would be a good way to attract new membership ?

When your lodge does something that is worthy of recognition in your community, be sure and let your local newspaper know about it.... like we did!

The lodge secretary wrote a "Press Release" and sent it to our newspaper along with the picture and they published it word for word. Our lodge must have a really great secretary!

No, we don't do these things in our community for the recognition, but what's wrong with tooting your own horn? 
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2015 at 2:23am
Originally posted by aogop aogop wrote:

freemasonry.bcy.ca/ddgm/tab_7_six_steps_to_initiation.pdf

See if that works

Great post, I will be passing this on to my lodge!
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - King
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2015 at 10:19pm
Well guys, we have beat this bush at our Lodge for quite some time now.

Our thoughts as well as most others seem to be that people have more to do now and I suppose that is mostly the truth.

I remember when my Dad was active, he spent at least one night, sometimes two learning ritual, one night in Lodge, and on an infrequent saturday  there was a breakfast, or dinner by the Jobies or De Molay.

I try to get my family involved, and it's I have Soccer, on Mondays,  gun club on Tuesday, Wednesday I work late, Thursday I am with my kids [visitation], Friday is when I go out, and Saturday I just chill from such a busy week.
 And the list goes on.

40 years ago, when I was growing up, my parents didn't have all that crap to do.  I think it is generational, sign of the times, and our ever growing society.

I make no excuses here, I just think that the more people learn about what we do, slowly we are going to turn enough heads and get noticed.

I agree with what someone said above, I don't think the "OLD" numbers will ever come back but I think we can make strides forward and make this fraternity grow.

I would welcome others thoughts on this.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic