Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mutual Recognition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CanadianPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mutual Recognition
    Posted: May/07/2015 at 1:22pm

I am curious how communication between 'mainline' lodges and 'PHA' lodges is handled in a State where the two Grand Lodges recognise each other.

There is a somewhat similar situation in my Province here in Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador. As in many parts of the Commonwealth, some of the Lodges here  formed under the UGL of England, others (including my Mother Lodge), under Scotland. When the GL of NL formed in 1998 all of the English Lodges transferred to it but only 5 of the Scottish ones did. The other 11 remained under Scotland and its  District Grand Lodge here.  Lodges here have always worked closely together regardless of 'Grand Jurisdiction'; for example lodges of both jurisdictions jointly own and use the Freemasons Hall that serves the capital city, St. John's.

Correct masonic protocol requires that if I, as Secretary of a Scottish lodge, wish to correspond in any way with a 'Newfoundland' lodge I should send a letter through my Grand Secretary in Scotland, who will send it back across the Atlantic to their Grand Secretary, etc. But that is NOT the way it actually works.  On masonic matters, such as inviting one of their Masters to one of our meetings, as Secretary of a Scottish lodge I can forward communication to one of their lodges or to their Grand Lodge through my local District Grand Secretary who will send it directly to their Grand Secretary - and one of their lodges will communicate with mine via their Grand Secretary and my District Grand Secretary. This is done, of course, with the full approval of my Grand Lodge in Scotland, and e-mail (or even a phone call) is the usual method. In 'non-masonic' matters such as social invitations, I am free to correspond with one of their lodges directly.

I am wondering how a 'mainstream' lodge in  state where there is mutual recognition would go about corresponding with a PHA lodge and vice versa.

Edited by Adept? - May/07/2015 at 2:25pm
Paul Miller, Ass'nt. Gr. Sec. (Hon. Scot.)

Past Master, Lodge Conception No 1679, GL of Scotland
Conception Bay South
NL
CANADA

Past Master Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33, GL of NL
NobleShabba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobleShabba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 2:42pm
In Maryland, I am aware of several instances of the lodges on either side visiting each other without going through a bunch of stuff.   Invites to different functions are also routine at this point, in my opinion, and "its all good".
----------------------

DISCLAIMER: These are my comments, and mine alone - they do not necessarily apply to any group to which I belong!
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 8:45am
Last year my wife and I were traveling to Quebec. As luck would have it, a brand new lodge in QC was having their inaugural meeting while we were scheduled to be there. Prior to going, I wrote directly to the secretary of the lodge telling him I was going to be in town and would like to visit his lodge. He wrote back saying that this would be no problem... except that the meeting would be conducted entirely in French! I took French in high school and college, but that was 40 years ago! 

When I went to the lodge, I showed the the secretary and two other brethren my dues card. Fortunately most of them spoke English. They made sure I knew the signs and words and that was pretty much it! 

I don't understand why should it be any more difficult for you to visit a lodge in another jurisdiction in your own country than it was for me to visit a Canadian lodge, especially since I am from a foreign country? It seems overly complicated to me!

And like Br Noble Shabba, we also communicate directly with PHA lodges in our area.

Edited by WBScott - May/08/2015 at 8:59am
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
Anubicdarque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anubicdarque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 9:29am
In South Australia, Most lodges here are under the Grand Lodge of South Australia, but we have some that are still under Scottish,  Irish, and I think there is an Italian lodge here.   We just send mail to eachothers lodge secretaries. 
It gets a big more confusing though.. cos even though  GLSA-NT is an emulation grand lodge, we have lodges INSIDE our jurisdiction who perform ritual that is not emulation.   Lots of fun to go visit them and see how they do things.
Elizabeth Lodge #200, AFAM South Australia and the Northern Territory.
St George Lodge, #33, FAM Utah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic