Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dissecting The 1723 Constitutions Of Free-Masons;
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dissecting The 1723 Constitutions Of Free-Masons;

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squire Bentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dissecting The 1723 Constitutions Of Free-Masons;
    Posted: August/03/2015 at 3:28pm

Dissecting The 1723 Constitutions Of Free-Masons; Dispelling Revisionist Myths.

http://freemasoninformation.com/2015/08/dissecting-the-1723-constitutions-of-free-masons-dispelling-revisionist-myths/

ARE YOU READY TO THINK?

I have come across one of the most thought provoking articles in a long time. It’s not the same old hash but from a fellow Masonic writer Hank Kraychir who is a top rate Masonic researcher. His website, GnosisMasonry, has many wonderful and thoughtful articles on it. But this one strikes a cord that is so important to us all – OUR HISTORY.

So with permission from Brother Kraychir here is his wonderful article:

Dissecting The 1723 Constitutions Of Free-Masons; Dispelling Revisionist Myths.

http://freemasoninformation.com/2015/08/dissecting-the-1723-constitutions-of-free-masons-dispelling-revisionist-myths/

Bro. Frederic L. Milliken

Edited by Squire Bentley - August/03/2015 at 3:29pm
Illigitimi non corborundum
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2015 at 8:27am
A very interesting  read

I don't agree with everything said, but good read none  the less.
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
Mike Martin View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 8:42am
A nice piece but a bit of a waste of time as anytime you meet someone who says Freemasonry started in 1717 you just say "who then was Elias Ashmole?".

We English Freemasons don't believe that it started in 1717 so I don't understand why any of our American brothers would either.

Edited by Mike Martin - August/12/2015 at 8:42am
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 11:00am
Many American Masons don't.

A table (altar) top found in the ruins of Pompeii buried in 79 AD.   It clearly shows a speculative nature of Masonic symbols.   ref:http://www.masonicdictionary.com/jan1915e.html

Cleopatra's needle now standing in Central Park, New York City.

A diagram of articles and symbols found in the base of the Obelisk when it was dismantled.   This Obelisk dates to 1450BC.    ... ref: http://www.masonicdictionary.com/jan1915e.html

The obelisk ‘Cleopatra's Needle’  gives a clear connection of ancient Egyptians, and Hebrew forced labor & captivity (about 1600 B.C. to 1200 B.C.) during the time of the building of the pyramids. And, predates the building of King Solomon’s Temple (967 to 960 B.C.) by approximately 500 years.

Edited by edwmax - August/12/2015 at 11:06am
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 8:19pm
I believe that anyone who really believes that Freemasonry began at the creation of the UGLE in 1717 is willfully ignorant.  One needs to do very little research to know that isn't true.  Not to mention the simple fact that if there were enough lodges around to warrant the creation of a UGL in 1717, then there had to have been Freemasonry before that date.
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
BigBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 11:00am
I think this depends on how one defines the structure of Freemasonry. IF we are talking about the current system (where particular lodges are subordinate to a GL) then I think you have to admit that 1717 is when that structure was established.

The speculative nature of Freemasonry as we know may have existed prior to 1717, and some interesting philosophical correlates and intellectual precursors may date back much further. But at what point would we start to not recognize it, or start to feel lost or out of place?   
Ribualt Lodge 272 - SW
Jacksonville 12 R.A.M. - King
Hallmark 2 R.S.M.
I-09.21.10
P-11.18.10
R-02.15.11
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2015 at 4:33pm
Well, UGLE was actually formed in 1813. The Grand Lodge of London and Westminster was formed in 1717. If you want proof that Freemasonry dates from before the formation of any Grand Lodge, just look to the source of our Ancient Landmarks, the Regis Document. The oldest surviving copy of the Regis Document dates to 1549. It is considered the oldest document referring to Freemasonry.

Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2015 at 5:31pm
The Regis document is possibly the oldest 'paper' document.   'Older' documents are written in stone on ancient buildings and monuments.    ... As shown by my above post.
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2015 at 7:07pm
From what I have read, the term "freemason" comes from the middle ages when operative masons freely travelled from building site to building site engaging in their work. The Halliwell Manuscript, or Regus Poem was intended to regulate the behavior etc. of operative freemasons. From my readings and instructions I have received, I would say roughly prior to the 1600's, Freemasonry was almost exclusively operative in nature, then gradually the speculative members were allowed into lodges until by the early 1700's it was almost exclusively, if not totally speculative.

So yes, Freemasonry has been around for many hundreds of years, but as others have noted, its structure and emphasis changed in the early 1700's which has continued until the present. 

I don't think we'll ever get a definite answer as to when Freemasonry actually began because scholars who spend all their lives studying it can't even come up with one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic