Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > A Bikers Barstool online
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking a trip to Deal's Gap (the dragon)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking a trip to Deal's Gap (the dragon)
    Posted: September/01/2015 at 7:42pm
I'm will be riding with some fellow widows sons to the tail of the dragon at the end of this month. I've never been before but I'm excited. We are also going to ride the Cherohala. Anyone been?
Gainesville Lodge #41
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2015 at 7:57pm
I have no idea what you're talking about... Care to enlighten?
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2015 at 3:26pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherohala_Skyway

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K16YnmJN0fc

Gainesville Lodge #41
BroScubaSteve View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroScubaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2015 at 1:17pm
Isn't that gap one of the only few passes westward of the mountain range?
Initiated 4-22-13
Passed 5-29-13
Raised 6-27-13

Junior Deacon
F&AM GLNJ
32°AASR NMJ, Southern Valley of NJ
JG26_Irish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JG26_Irish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 11:30am
I have been many times.  It is a motorcyclist mecca.  The Gap is very twisty and tricky and a bit dangerous.  Watch out for:

1.) 18 wheelers that stray onto this route and cannot make the tight corners without crossing into your lane.  They often block both lanes to clear the tighter corners.  Expect this and allow for this uncommon but very lethal hazard.
2.) Sportbike riders riding over their head and also crossing the centerline into your lane in blind corners.
3.) Sportscars and idiots going too fast for their skill and equipment.
4.) Cops running speed traps in the bushes on the TN side.
5.) Getting passed by anything and everything in blind corners on the dbl yellow, etc.
6.) Canadian Motard riders who are very good at drift-wheelies thru the corners on their modified dirtbikes. 

Visit the "Tree of Shame" at the crossroads but do not add anything to it. 

It is scenic and fun.  Run the gap early in the morning on a weekday and it is not to risky.  Run it on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and it is like Russian Roulette, lol.  Stay at the crossroads of time.  It is worth it.  Cherohola Skyway is very scenic and about 10 deg F cooler on a hot day.  If you are on a Harley, take your time.  They lack the ground clearance necessary to corner well on such tight roads.  You know what you are getting into so, don't get PO'ed when you get passed by young nimrods on their 600SSR super sportbikes or old nimrods on their Goldwings.  They are going to do that.  Just be prepared and be careful.  Watch out for the downhill off camber blind entry to corner number 287.  And by all means enjoy the trip.  It is a Hoot.

Irish
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2015 at 10:57am
Just wanted to give an update. I survived the Dragon! The mountains were beautiful. We rode the Cherohala, 28, and the Dragon. I bought a T-Shirt at the Maryville Harley dealership too. All in all it was a great time. 

I didn't have as much of a problem in the twisties because I ride a 1200 Sportster. The Brothers I rode with were all grinding because they have big Harley tourers. I even bought one of those pictures that the photographers take of you on the Dragon.

Edited by Hyksos - October/04/2015 at 10:58am
Gainesville Lodge #41
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic