Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > General Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it worth it

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just1flyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it worth it
    Posted: October/08/2015 at 10:58pm
After being on this site for a week and doing my own research just to find out the lodge I petitioned to, accepted, and raised within these last few months is not recognized by either grand lodge in Florida is heartbreaking! I had my heart set on this and if it's not legit what's the point?! I don't even know if I want to be a mason anymore ...I've supposedly been a mason for 3 weeks now and its all been a bunch of bs. I'm disappointed in myself more for not doing my own research. Thanks to the brethren (well real masons) on this forum for inquiring about my lodge and making me do some of my own research...I don't want anything by default or the bS way...how do I delete my account I'm not trying to get information I don't even think I want to be apart of it ...and to think I waited and kept asking 10 years for this

Edited by Just1flyguy - October/09/2015 at 4:49am
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2015 at 11:43pm
I would like to discourage you from giving up and walking away from something that you seem to be passionate about.  I know from experience the frustration of being part of an unrecognized lodge and finding out the hard way.  I joined a legitimate PHA lodge in Jax. FL. while i was in the Navy.  We met at the Grand Lodge there, and it all seemed up and up.  (was still some pretty serious hazing when i went through, not sure about now.)  The dues were WAY higher too... other than that... pretty much the same, and a great group of Brothers for the most part.  Every bushel has a bad apple... and i'll leave it at that.  Anyway... When i got out of the Navy and returned home to Maine and tried to demit to, and join my local hometown lodge; they regretted to inform me that Florida's Grand lodge and Florida's PHA grand lodge did not have fraternal relations and recognition, and not only that... my lodge and grand lodge were not, and still are not recognized by the UGLofE either.  The long and the short of it is.. I had to take the 3 principle degrees over again here in Maine to remain an active Freemason.  It was either that, or continue paying $150 a year to be a member of a lodge 1400 miles away, that afforded me no Masonic recognition in my area whatsoever.  I was disappointed.... angry... upset... felt betrayed... much like you, i'm sure.  I even left Freemasonry for a while.  In the end, it was something that was in my heart, and i had to fix the issue.  I paid my fees, (which are significantly lower in legit lodges) and took the degrees again.  It was actually quite easy since i'd already been through it all before.  There is no shame in what has happened to you... trust me, you are not the first.  But if you leave the false lodge and don't join a legit one... they win.  If you chock it up to experience and correct the issue... then YOU win, and we as a Fraternity, and a Brotherhood collectively win.  There is at least one Brother on this forum that is in your area, and I'm sure would be more than happy to assist you in getting into a legitimate lodge where a Brother of your interest and eagerness to learn will be happily welcomed with open arms.   So... In closing, I will pose the same question to you that you posted in the title of this thread... is it worth it.. TO YOU?  Think about it...
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Just1flyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just1flyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 4:54am
So will I have to go through the process again as of the petition, investigation, and the ea,fc,mm initiation again.. Main concern as of right now because I'm seriously just about to wash my hands of the situation and just count it as a loss and move on
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 5:15am
If you go to a legit lodge, and explain your situation, they will most likely work with you.  You will have to do the paperwork again yes, and also most likely the degree ceremony.  However, they may just have you take the OB's for each degree again. (unlikely though)  It will depend on their by-laws and state of Florida constitution/Masonic code.  If you are proficient in your degree and memory work, and can prove so, the above will be more of a formality than anything else.  I believe it is sometimes referred to as a "healing"
Basically they have to make you a Freemason again in due form. 

Can a Brother from Florida weigh in on this issue please...?
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."
Hyksos View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyksos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 5:56am
If you were never part of a regular and recognized lodge then you were never really a mason. In Florida, if you want to join the Grand Lodge of Florida, you will be required to renounce all ties to the old (fake) grand lodge and go through the 3 degrees. I don't know how PHA does it. Grand lodge of Florida and PHA presently do not recognize one another.

It's something that you should be happy about. Odds are the degrees you went thorough were not the same ones that you would go through in a regular and recognized lodge. I would recommend you explore your options in Florida and decide if you want to be a member of Grand Lodge of Florida or PHA. If you want GLoF, you can use our grand lodge website and search for a lodge near you.

http://grandlodgefl.com

Edited by Hyksos - October/09/2015 at 5:58am
Gainesville Lodge #41
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Just1flyguy Just1flyguy wrote:

So will I have to go through the process again as of the petition, investigation, and the ea,fc,mm initiation again.. Main concern as of right now because I'm seriously just about to wash my hands of the situation and just count it as a loss and move on

I recommend you cool off and once you do, count your blessings that you did your research when you did and not 30 years after the fact.

BTW - KUDOS for taking the time to investigate; some never do until many many years later. Sure, it was only a little too late for you that you found out BUT... not so long after you got dragged in so much further. Shake it off Bro., you're a lot better off than many others in similar situations.

Once you cool off, please investigate both of the well established FL GLs, PHA and Mainstream, to see which one you would feel most comfortable being a member of.

COVEOT: PHA is not currently Recognized by the Mainstream GL, but they are considered regular by the UGLE and all other PHA GLs. Once the Mainstream GL recognized them, they will be further connected in the WWW of Freemasonic Jurisdictions. Currently they are only Recognized by other PHA jurisdictions, although you can attend Lodges elsewhere that recognize PHA overall.

You have OPTIONS!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

Books I Wrote | My FB Wall

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just1flyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 7:50am
Thank you, I have been thinking about it a lot. I don't know if I should ask the guys why they are not apart of the mwugl or Gl or just leave it be and try to petition another lodge. I have studied my ass off (excuse the language) and still continue to study so it just boogles my mind as to why wouldn't I be informed that other "real brethren" would consider me not... Its crazy because the guy I asked is and has been a life long friend to me and my family. Also it makes me question his creditability as he is also a potentate in KT ...but what made rethink everything on the GL of fl website if click on a lodge it gives u a list of the WM SW JW SEC CHAP SD JD SS AND TY WITH NAMES AND HOW LONG THEY'VE BEEN THERE!I'm just more confused than anything right now. Very very confused my heart is in the right place but apparently I'm still in the dark or have been exposed to the light but unjust and unlawfully
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 8:14am

Thank you, I have been thinking about it a lot. I don't know if I should ask the guys why they are not apart of the mwugl or Gl or just leave it be and try to petition another lodge. I have studied my ass off (excuse the language) and still continue to study so it just boogles my mind as to why wouldn't I be informed that other "real brethren" would consider me not... Its crazy because the guy I asked is and has been a life long friend to me and my family. Also it makes me question his creditability as he is also a potentate in KT ...but what made rethink everything on the GL of fl website if click on a lodge it gives u a list of the WM SW JW SEC CHAP SD JD SS AND TY WITH NAMES AND HOW LONG THEY'VE BEEN THERE!I'm just more confused than anything right now. Very very confused my heart is in the right place but apparently I'm still in the dark or have been exposed to the light but unjust and unlawfully

Confusion is good and in your case it is well earned. That being said, please do not focus your anger upon those who do not deserve it. Freemasonry is a worldwide fellowship that is worth being part of. There are those who make effort to direct this fellowship potential toward organizations unrecognized by the majority. It truly matters not what their intention may be in their efforts. What matters most? If they were not honest with you on this one simple fact, can you truly trust them into the future with bigger things?

scout View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 9:03am
Edit: I noticed that my post was redundant.

Edited by scout - October/09/2015 at 9:07am
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 11:05am
I whole heartedly agree with Coach's advice and most sincerely hope you will follow his suggestions. I wish you all the best!
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just1flyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 12:07pm
Not angry at all! Disappointed very, confused very, feeling like I wasted my time money and energy absolutely but I am not angry
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 12:53pm
You're getting some good advice, flyguy.  Coach and Hyskos are also from FL, and Coach has written books on Masonry. We have a couple of good PHA Brothers that are regulars, Caution1010 and Noble Shabba; I hope they'll chime in. I just sent you a PM with some more info. I am sure that all around here will help whereever possible. Good luck.

BTW.... What's with the flyguy? You have a history with the USAF??

Bob C
Palm Bay 397
Palm Bay, FL
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just1flyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 1:10pm
Lol no just always been my gamertag on video games so it follows me everywhere I go lol but thanks once again at least I won't be out in public wearing light like a fool
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 5:24pm
Please keep us all posted, mate. You may not be all the way there yet, but you have friends here.

Good Luck.

Bob C
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just1flyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 6:36pm
Will do thank you all once again
coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 6:48pm

Not angry at all! Disappointed very, confused very, feeling like I wasted my time money and energy absolutely but I am not angry

Good, you just paid for an educational lesson. I can say firmly that your return on this investment shall depend upon what you do with it.

EXAMPLE: Brother Charles Harper wrote about his experience (two books worth and a play!) in an unrecognized lodge and is now on a crusade to educate men to prevent the same.

You are in good company and you now have a rich experience that didn't take to much time and expense from you. It could have been FAR WORSE!

Edited by coach - October/09/2015 at 6:49pm

Cookslc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cookslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2015 at 10:04pm
You know, I will tell you that even in regular freemasonry there are times you wanna chuck it all in. Sometimes, it may be a particular Masonic appendant body. It takes courage to admit you've been duped. I'm impressed.
G A Cook
F&AM of Utah
AF&AM of Oklahoma
UGLE
Warrior1256 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior1256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 1:13pm
The best of luck to you sir. I wish you all of the best whatever you decide.
St. Matthews Lodge 906
Suburban Lodge 740
Shively-Lewis-Parkland 951
AASR, Orient of Kentucky, Valley of Louisville
King Solomon Chapter 5
Louisville Council 4
North Central York Rite College 116

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just1flyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 2:06pm
Once again I want to Thank each and every one of you for your words! I am determined to represent the light in the right way..I will not let this discourage me THANK YOU SO MUCH   
Adept? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adept? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 3:41pm
You're very welcome!
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2015 at 1:45pm
I'm still confused. Did Flyguy join a Regular PHA Lodge and because of the rules of recognition was not allowed to join a mainstream lodge in another jurisdiction or did he join a clandestine lodge? 

It isn't a good situation either way, but if he is a PHA Mason, couldn't he affiliate with a local PHA lodge, then demit from the original lodge, affiliate with the mainstream lodge and demit from the new PHA lodge thereby avoiding having to take the degrees again?

Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
rchadwic View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rchadwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2015 at 1:52pm
THe lodge he joined is not, apparently, affiliated with either GL of Fla (mainstream) or the PHA Grand Lodge that holds jurisdiction in FL. It appears that this lodge is clandestine. I believe he is checking the charter of this lodge for more details.
Sadly, PHA is not recognised by GL of Fla. He has been given points of contact for PHA and Mainstream GL's.
WE'll see what happens.

Bob C
Palm Bay 397 Palm Bay, FL
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic