Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Masonic Discussions > Masonic Discussion Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retention

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bro Troy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retention
    Posted: January/07/2016 at 1:04pm
Good day Brothers,

I would like ask, what are some of the ideas you use to keep from losing members to stagnation.

Fraternally

Troy Henderson

Abbottsford Lodge #70
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 1:32pm
We have regular get togethers either at Lodge [movies/popcorn/etc] or we gather at a watering hole.

We also have education, that is the Lodge Education Officer, plans monthly presentations on any variety of topics, but mostly Masonic.

And even that is not making any great progress but it helps
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
De Darrah View Drop Down
Matron
Matron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Darrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2016 at 2:02pm
Some ideas that will help. I've done them for the Lodge, OES & White Shrine.

1.  Right now you could plan a big Super Bowl party.  I don't know about anyone else but I going through major withdrawals real bad right now.

2.  Feb 21 Daytona 500 opens NASCAR season.  Its PARTY TIME.  Can't wait.

3.  Monthly movie nights, bowling, pool etc...

4.  Try getting a softball team organized and challenge another Lodge.

5.  Ask a different Brother to give a Masonic education or history lesson before each meeting during the year.  This is where you call on Brothers who don't come often.  My Jerry did this in 2008 and brought back 3 golden veterans who had not been to Lodge in decades.

6.  Bring in a speaker once in awhile.

7.  Ask your Ladies to help, we use to have a great wives club that would plan events.

Edited by De Darrah - January/07/2016 at 2:03pm
De
Past Matron New Hope Ch. #117 OES
PWHP Palm Shrine No.32 now Alchor #27 WSOJ
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.

As Brother Ben F. said
"In Wine there is Wisdom
In Beer there is Freedom
In Water there is Bacteria"
<
windrider View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2016 at 1:58pm
When I was Senior Deacon, I took a class to become an Ambassador for my lodge. During the course, we were told that only 15% of all men who are Raised to the Sublime Degree can be found in lodge a year later. There were various reasons given mostly saying the person had joined for the wrong reasons. 

I got a list of brothers who had not been to lodge in a while and  started calling them. I made it clear that I was only calling to find out why they had not been around, not to ask for anything but their honesty. The vast majority of those who did not have "legitimate" reasons for not coming (moved away, health challenges, etc.) told me they were not getting any "Masonry" out of the meetings. They thought it was a waste of time to get dressed up, drive to lodge and sit around paying bills and listening to reports. 

When I sat as Senior Warden and was planning my time in the East i decided to address that issue. My lodge meets twice a month. The first meeting is our Stated Communication. We only do business at this meeting. We meet a couple of weeks after to confer the degrees. I introduced a new item to our meetings, the "Masonic Minute". I asked the Brethren to bring something to lodge that inspired them: a poem essay or even a joke. They could present it to the lodge. I always have something on my tablet in case nobody brings something to share. I shortly started seeing the sidelines grow and started getting calls from "Rusty Brothers" asking for a quick refresher on the Due Guards and Signs. Several brothers have affiliated from other lodges.

The idea has spread to other lodges and I just found out the DDGm is now bringing the Masonic Minute to Lodge of Instruction. 

Men come to us for more than an evening away from home. They want to look forward to learning something or just walking out feeling better than they did when they came in. Sometimes the simple ideas are the best ones.

Master, Webmaster, Lodge Ambassador
Ancient York Lodge AF&AM

Lowell, MA

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2016 at 6:00pm
I have been doing "Masonic Moment" in my lodge for 4 years now. My talks explain some aspect of Masonry that the brethren may not be aware of. While I always get compliments and thanks for my efforts, I am sorry to report that it has not dramatically increased attendance at our regular monthly meeting. Many brethren have commented that they never really understood some of the things I explain in my talks and now they do understand some of the things done during the conferring of degrees.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic