Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > Hobbies & Special Interests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you have a favorite school of Kabbalah?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you have a favorite school of Kabbalah?
    Posted: June/28/2016 at 9:03am
There are several schools of Kabbalah out there; and several good books on the subject of Kabbalah. Did you ever play the board game, Kabbalah, as a kid? What's your favorite version of Kabbalah?? Thanks!
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2016 at 11:22am
Kabb .... bba   ...lah  ...   .... .... ???  WHAT?    
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369
Sec'yBob View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sec'yBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2016 at 5:52pm
I dated Susan Kaballah a few times, and she did take me to school  big time  Ouch
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2016 at 7:23pm
heck   ... I thought a Kabbubba was an oversize red-neck hotdog with EVERY thing served on the 4th of July with PBR (that's beer for the youngins).  ... Hug

Edited by edwmax - June/28/2016 at 7:24pm

Thomasville 369
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2016 at 6:15pm
So Freemasons don't know anything about the Kabbalah???

freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/kabbalah.html

edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2016 at 9:42am
Kabbalah is of interest to those doing masonic research.   Most Masons have not idea what Kabbalah is.     ...   Many of the Kabbalah teachings are not isolated to Freemason but can be found all the major religions and is more specific to early Jewish theology. 

Thomasville 369
pointwithinacircle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointwithinacircle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2016 at 2:55pm
Disclaimer: I am a simple guy who doesn't know anything that he didn't read somewhere.

My interest in Kabbalah came through my reading about philosophy.  To me it is a philosophical outlook, or point of view; a specific way of understanding the world.  The only appreciable difference (that I can see) between worldviews is how accurate they are.  Since each person believes that their worldview is the most accurate, I see little value in debating which is better.  To me the value comes when two people exchange worldviews in such a way that each person becomes enlightened about the others view without losing their own perspective. 
Words are symbols which point toward concepts arranged in patterns to communicate meaning.
edwmax View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2016 at 5:21pm
Philosophy, Theology, mysticism, science is all part of it and was the early devoting developing Jewish religion.

Edited by edwmax - July/02/2016 at 9:22am

Thomasville 369
GrimoireA3 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimoireA3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2016 at 5:27am
Originally posted by pointwithinacircle pointwithinacircle wrote:

Disclaimer: I am a simple guy who doesn't know anything that he didn't read somewhere.

My interest in Kabbalah came through my reading about philosophy.  To me it is a philosophical outlook, or point of view; a specific way of understanding the world.  The only appreciable difference (that I can see) between worldviews is how accurate they are.  Since each person believes that their worldview is the most accurate, I see little value in debating which is better.  To me the value comes when two people exchange worldviews in such a way that each person becomes enlightened about the others view without losing their own perspective. 

Hi pointwithinacircle,

Great answer! You're a man after my own heart. I too have an intellectual curiosity about different world views. Three years ago a Protestant minster convinced me to research various Protestant versions of the Bible, which I am unfamiliar. When I came across a 'Masonic Bible' my curiosity ramped up exponentially.

I accidentally discovered a world view I did not know existed - Freemasonry.   Hence my presence on this website.

As a Roman Catholic (more accurate, a Western Rite Catholic) the Church simply orders, stay away from Freemasonry, without explanation. I don't like that.

I have been devouring every piece of information regarding the 'Craft' I can legally lay hands on. And it surprises me how familiar some of the Masonic concepts are already to me. Which makes me even more curious.

So thank you for a good answer regarding the Kabbalah. The Kabbalah is contentious even within Jewish circles. I was curious what role it played in Freemasonry.
droche View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2016 at 12:05am
In light of the fact that Elie Wiesel just died I think its apropos that Kabbalah should be brought up now. I read "Night" by Wiesel to my class several years ago. Before he was sent to Auchwitz, Wiesel studied Kabbalah under a man in his visit village. Wiesel s father discouraged him from doing this, telling him one could not even begin to understand Kabbalah until he practiced Judaism for a minimum of 50 years. Funny, I have a similar opinion of Freemasonry.Not 50 years maybe but one has to be active for many years before one can begin there grasp it in my opinion.

Anyway I digress. I am by no means enough of an expert in either FM or Kabballah but my impression is while there might be common tenets or what have you, that does not necessarily mean there is a direct relationship.Members and non-members delve into FM and all the complexities of it, but many seem to lose the fact that it's purpose is simply to make good men better. I also read where a rabbi was asked about the complexities of Kabbalah and he answered that the basis of Judaism was to love ones neighbor, everything else was secondary. So if there is a relationship between FM and Kabbalah, it is interesting to study, but do any of us really understand Kabbalah and does it really matter?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic