Mastermason.com Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions) > Hobbies & Special Interests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AMATEUR (HAM) RADIO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMATEUR (HAM) RADIO
    Posted: February/09/2007 at 12:46am
Is anyone here a HAM radio operator?? I am AB4Y, currently in Iraq, but no QRV.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
stonecutter View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonecutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 9:44am
I used to host these guys on Mastermason.com and they eventually got their own web domain. Check them out. They may have additional resources for you. Good Luck!

http://masonicgathering.net/
DefenseEngineer View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefenseEngineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 2:25am

N3QEH

But I am currently in Afghanistan.

SKYTALKER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKYTALKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2007 at 5:28pm
Hello Brother,  I am KJ4P in Georgia.  Good Luck and May God Bless you.
Jay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 9:06pm
Hi . Chuck.

Thank you for your service. I am WØPS I live west of St. Louis in O'Fallon Mo.
I was first licensed in 1958 as KN8LVR. My XYL, both sons and one Daughter-in-law are hams.

I am a Past Master of Napoleon #256,  F&AM Napoleon Ohio and also a current Member of St. Charles #241, AF&AM St. Charles, MO.

Are you familar with the group caalled HIRAMS HAMS? It is a paper newsletter publshed on an Irregular basis as the editor has health problems. It is mailed from the Scottish Rite building in Toledo Ohio.

You might do a web search. If you send me your paper address and Masonic affiliation, I will send your membership in by email.

73 for now.

Jay Underdown
Jay
cemab4y View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemab4y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 1:11pm

Thanks for the information. I lived in Columbus OH for a year, and we had an informal organization of Hiram-Hams, and we even assembled our own degree team, whenever a ham operator took the degree work. We also had a testing team, so when ever a mason wanted to take a ham radio exam, we would test him.

We also set up the "Voice of Aladdin" amateur radio club at Aladdin Temple Shrine, and assisted in parades and public events. What a blast!

I am in the USA now for a short break, and I will be returning to Iraq in February.
Charles E. Martin

Alexandria, VA

Bowling Green Lodge 73, Bowling Green KY (GL of KY, F&AM)

Alexandria VA Scottish Rite Bodies (AASR, Southern Jurisdiction, USA)
Jean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 10:47am
Hello
I am a new member of this forum, recently moved to Miami, FL. I am in search of a house in the miami area and any info with meeting time will be appereciated. Buy the way I am also HH2SJR.

Jean 
mg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 11:05pm
Although I am not very active, My callsign is VE6 MGB and another brother of my lodge is also a ham. We'll have to check out the gat hering.net
JimV View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2008 at 3:56pm
Greetings!  I am a new member of this forum; my call is N3JV, and I have been a Ham for 50 years now. 

I'm a Past Master of Palatine Lodge #314 in Palatine, IL (1984) and a dual member of The Villages Lodge #394 in The Villages, FL.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2008 at 4:26pm
Welcome Brother Jim. You are not too far from my Father's house. He live in Brooksville.
Jay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2008 at 6:58pm

Hi WBr, Jim. I have a friend in Orlando, W4KNT that might to meet you. He is a Past Master of one of the lodges in Orlando.

I am a Past Master of Napoleon #256 Ohio, and dual member and Marshal of St. Charles #241 in St. Charles, MO.

Congrats on being a ham for 50 years. I just got my 50 year certificate from the QCWA. In fact, My picture is in the latest QCWA Magazine. See Chapter 19 info. My first call was KN8LVR. XYL, both harmonics and one Daughter-in-law are also hams.

Let us all know whre you are active on the air.

73, Jay W0PS

Jay
Flotown79 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flotown79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2008 at 9:20pm
I like ham!!!!

Ham

F. E. Thomas III, MPS
x4paul View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x4paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2008 at 11:38am
Hi I am only a SWL will get round to doing my exam at some point. I also know the masonicgathering they have a net meeting most sunday / monday morning on eqso. As stonecutter says you can find more at http://masonicgathering.net/

Edited by x4paul - July/19/2008 at 1:22pm
Lodge Neuhaus 946 British Freemason in Germany.
www.masonsingermany.net
JimV View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Dustoff-00 Dustoff-00 wrote:

Welcome Brother Jim. You are not too far from my Father's house. He live in Brooksville.

I drive through Brooksville periodically; there's a great Italian restaurant there called Papa Joe's if I recall the name correctly. 

By the way - in response to another brothers question, I am fairly active, operating mainly on 20M CW and occasionally PSK.
greghemmings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greghemmings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 3:31pm
Hello,

I am new to the forum, but my call is N4WVE.  I work mostly HF and am a lodge member in Lexington, VA.  My son, Erich, is currently stationed in Iraq with a FIST team.
Greg Hemmings
Jay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2009 at 5:34pm
Hi Greg.

I'm Jay W0PS from O'Fallon, Mo. I am a member of St. Charles #241 in St. Charles, Mo. (just west of St. Louis) and am also a member and Past Master of Napoleon #256, Napoleon, Ohio (west of Toledo). Also a member of Alexander #241 OES, and Missouri #1 RAM.
I was first licensed in 1958.

I am a retired Public Safety Communictions Consultant.  My company was Spectrum Resources Inc. I see you work for the S.O.

I work HF and VHF and am the trustee of our Club 2 meter repeater.
There are a lot of Masonic Hams. There used to be a group called Hirams Hams but the fellow the published the newsletter has stopped due to health.

My direct email isw0ps@juno.com

73 for now.  Jay
Jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greghemmings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 3:08pm
Hi Jay!

Great to read your post on the Masonic Forum.  I just joined the Lodge here in Lexington, VA and am just an entered apprentice.  I am no longer with the Sheriff's Office, but am now Clerk of the Juvenile Court for our county.  I have been a hame since the mid eighties and really enjoy it.  I am currently looking to buy a new (used) rig for hf or VHF/UHF.

I am very excited about my next step in the Masons.  My Grandfather was a 32nd degree and I always wanted to be a opart of it.  Write when you can!

Greg N4WVE

PS-  I tried your email address but it was returnedUnhappy  Did you post the right address?
Greg Hemmings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greghemmings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 3:12pm

< id="hexColValue" value="" size="10" style="cursor: default;" ="text">
Greg Hemmings
Jay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 3:48pm
Hi Greg. I forgot to put a space in the right location my email is: W0PS@juno.com.

Glad to see you starting your way in Masonry, I am sure your Grandfatherwould be very proud to see you following in his footsteps. You will enjoy your masonic education.  Look for an Icom IC-735. I have one and have had very good luck with it.

Let me know how you progress in your next two degrees.

73, Jay
Jay
tm274 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
The True Time Traveling WM .·.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tm274 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2009 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by greghemmings greghemmings wrote:

Hi Jay!

Great to read your post on the Masonic Forum.  I just joined the Lodge here in Lexington, VA and am just an entered apprentice.  I am no longer with the Sheriff's Office, but am now Clerk of the Juvenile Court for our county.  I have been a hame since the mid eighties and really enjoy it.  I am currently looking to buy a new (used) rig for hf or VHF/UHF.

I am very excited about my next step in the Masons.  My Grandfather was a 32nd degree and I always wanted to be a opart of it.  Write when you can!

Greg N4WVE

PS-  I tried your email address but it was returnedUnhappy  Did you post the right address?
Whoa...........!!
How far do you want me to sit back to read this.??
Can we "possibly" shrink it a little, please.?  The eyes aren't completely open and I ain't had my coffee yet.
Til I have my coffee..........nothing is normal. 
Initiated : 23rd April 2002
Passed   : 25th June 2002
Raised    : 24th Sept 2002

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
32° Farenheit is certainly not higher than 3° Cel.
DBlair View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBlair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 1:50pm
Seems like quite a few Brothers from FL here who are Hams.

Allow me to add myself to the list.

N2ZJM

Hillsborough Lodge #25, F&AM (MM)
Grand Lodge of Florida (USA)
Valley of Tampa, AASR (32*)
Tampa Chapter #11, OES
Egypt Shriners, AAONMS
Young Egypt Shriners Club (Past President)
3DistinctKnocks View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3DistinctKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 3:38pm
Looks like I'll be attempting to get my HAM license soon.  My father-in-law is one of the #1 HAM operators in Mississippi.  He teaches a HAM course at Ole Miss here and there.  I mainly need it for my job...healthcare security services...for emergency commo purposes.  He's been after me to get involved in HAM for quite a few years now, so I suppose this is his chance!  Might give us a little bonding time, too.  (along with a bottle of R&R -his fav- we'll have a good time!)
Past Master
Pontotoc Lodge #81 F.&A.M.
OES Pontotoc Chapter #42
The Trestle Board
Desmo Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desmo Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 5:18am
I was a HAM operator during the 90's but gave it up a long time ago. CW was the favourite for me and I reached speeds of about 25-30wpm on a straight key and more with an iambic.

My callsign was/is G0PNM and I loved working the CW on 20m and 40m as well as the odd SSB on 2m

Sadly, I dont have the time for such hobbies nowadays and spend most of my time either at work or at home tending to my marine aquarium or riding my Ducati.

I do occasionally have a browse through my QSL cards that came via the buro!!

73's Brothers

Pete Ex G0PNM
Earl of St Germans Lodge 7031 UGLE
St Gwethnoc Chapter 1785 RAM
Radio Love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radio Love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2010 at 8:19pm
Greetings. My call is N3TU and I've been a ham since 1992. I am active on all the bands. Thank you for your service to this country and God Bless.
Greg
Christiana Lodge #35
Delaware
MikeS. View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 11:38pm
I'm not a HAM but have been an active CB user since 1973. Call sign of KXJ5129, which expired many years ago.

I keep thinking about getting my ticket but the XYL says I have enough irons in the fire. I don't spend enough time with her as it is... So she says.

Just don't hate because I like my CB.
MikeS.

Past Master,

Triluminar Lodge #117 of WVa

Bethesda Chapter #16 R.A.M.

Tall Cedars, Shenadoah Forest #150

Middleway, WVa.
W4JWC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W4JWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 8:15pm
Greetings to all my Brother Hams,from W4JWC
Jon Connelly
Generous Warren #20 F&AM,  AASR Valley of Atlanta
W4JWC
JON CONNELLY 32°
GENEROUS WARREN #20
ka5bhy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ka5bhy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 11:57pm
I'm a ham I hold Ka5bhy Advanced class which they no longer issue but they won't grandfather us up to Extra
log cabin Bill View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2010 at 7:45am
Hi all----My call is WA3CWA, licensed continuously since 1965.  I have been inactive the last few years and am trying to get a couple of dipoles up before winter.  Currently I have and advanced class license.  I am also interested in log cabins, Lionel trains and Gravely tractors.  Presently I am Senior Deacon in my lodge.  73.
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
k5rrt View Drop Down
Entered Apprentice
Entered Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k5rrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 4:13pm
Hi all K5RRT here I will become a EA on the 26th of November, nice to see Hams here 73 ....K5RRT/ Chris
ghstdarter06 View Drop Down
Fellow Craft
Fellow Craft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghstdarter06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2011 at 1:16pm

AK4DV here. EA from Vinton Lodge #204 in Vinton, Va (outside of Roanoke, Va) also the club president of the RVARC W4CA.

pictureman38821 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pictureman38821 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2013 at 4:19pm
I'm studying for my tech exam now...Any advice any of you can give I'd be greatful.Geekhttp://https://www.facebook.com/phillip.c.wardlaw contact me on facebook if you like.
soltaran View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soltaran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2013 at 3:34am
QRK5 .. QRA G4VTU ... inactive unfortunately.  Trained as a Radio Officer in the Merchant Navy.

Edited by soltaran - February/10/2013 at 3:37am
MasonicFirefighter View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasonicFirefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 12:52am
KJ4VKC, General but only have a VHF rig at the moment.

Check in now and then on Masonic Gathering.
"Us few good men need to stand together in Light to avoid darkness"

E: 8/2/2011
P: 11/15/2011
R: 3/5/2012

Acacia Lodge #169
Carolina Lodge #375 (Demitted)
jaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 8:18am
Originally posted by pictureman38821 pictureman38821 wrote:

I'm studying for my tech exam now...Any advice any of you can give I'd be greatful.Geekhttp://https://www.facebook.com/phillip.c.wardlaw contact me on facebook if you like.

I posted this on another forum you are on but decided to post it here as well in case it would help someone else.

It really depends on how much about electronics and radio theory. To be honest, I have not looked at a technician class book in quite some time. What you need to know is about the rules and laws as well as basic radio theory. If you get a book that has a copy of the question pool, the exam is taken from that. The questions are word for word out of that pool. http://www.eham.net/exams/ is a good resource to take a practice test. http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ is another site that does the same thing. Take a test and see what areas you need to work on and concentrate on them. Then take the practice test again and see what areas you need to improve. The current Tech class pool is 394 questions.
Jay Austin

Black Mountain 663 - Junior Warden
AASR Valley of Asheville - KSA
The Masonic Society

http://westernncmason.blogspot.com
Traveler458 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveler458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2013 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by jaya jaya wrote:

Originally posted by pictureman38821 pictureman38821 wrote:

I posted this on another forum you are on but decided to post it here as well in case it would help someone else.

It really depends on how much about electronics and radio theory. To be honest, I have not looked at a technician class book in quite some time. What you need to know is about the rules and laws as well as basic radio theory. If you get a book that has a copy of the question pool, the exam is taken from that. The questions are word for word out of that pool. http://www.eham.net/exams/ is a good resource to take a practice test. http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ is another site that does the same thing. Take a test and see what areas you need to work on and concentrate on them. Then take the practice test again and see what areas you need to improve. The current Tech class pool is 394 questions.

And don't stop at Technician! The fun keeps on coming into the General and Extra classes - I stayed a Tech for 18 years and on V/UHF repeaters, and eventually got bored with them, but when I passed General, a whole new world of Amateur Radio opened up for me.

Do it! You will never be sorry!
Semper FI!
Mike
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2013 at 8:03am
There are many good study books available that have questions from the question pool.  I would suggest using the study guides from the American Radio Relay League (ARRL).  Similar study guides are available from the Gordon West group.  Good luck!!!
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Commandery #35
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
pictureman38821 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pictureman38821 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2013 at 8:50pm
Thank you All Bro.'s  nice to see others interested in ham radio.The next exam will be in fulton,ms Apirl 20th hope i can make it there it's at 9am
Bigmike134 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmike134 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2014 at 8:05am
KØMRD here in Norwalk IA. General class active on 20 SSB (when prop permits) and 2 meter 70 cm locally and I check into the Masonic Gathering on Echolink on Sunday evenings.
In truth, let me live
Initiated 05/28/14
Passed 11/12/14
Raised 12/10/14
WBScott View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2014 at 10:48am
I did not realize this thread was here when I posted my thread. Sorry!

Anyway...

NØIU here in Wentzville, MO (Western edge of the metro St. Louis area). I would tell you about my amateur radio interests, but its all pretty much all there on my QRZ bio (http://www.qrz.com/db/N0IU) and my personal website (http://webpages.charter.net/n0iu-scott/)

I am not much into EchoLink, but I also try to check into the Masonic gathering on Sunday evenings.

Edited by WBScott - December/18/2014 at 10:49am
Wentzville (MO) Lodge #46 - PM
Pride of the West (MO) Lodge #179 - PM (twice)
Pauldingville (MO) Lodge #11 - Secretary
Warrenton (MO) Lodge #609 - Secretary
Past DDGM - 25th Masonic District
Stormy View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2015 at 11:40pm
I am an Extra Class in northern Alabama. AD4SB. I am active on most all the bands, mostly voice and HF digital.
Dustoff-00 View Drop Down
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dustoff-00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2016 at 9:45pm
Well, I did it. Newly licensed HAM. Still getting my feet wet at the moment with a Baofeng BF-F9V2+ radio.

Researching a few options to get into 6m bands.  Yaesu FT-857D is looking rather good at the moment. Although a little pricey ... it gives me room to grow a few years.

Also looking at Icom IC-5100A for some digital work D-Star is really interesting.

Who knows.....just having fun.
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2016 at 3:44pm
Congratulations! Welcome to the world of Amateur Radio. It has been a nearly lifelong hobby for me as I have been licensed continuously since the age of 14. You may want to consider posting your callsign on this part of the forum.
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Commandery #35
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dustoff-00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2016 at 11:18pm
KM4QCT

So the next big question ---- which radio to get

Icom ID-5100A
Yaesu FT-857D

The Yaesu for growth is my first choice, although I like the D-Star option.  Decisions, decisions......
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote log cabin Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2016 at 3:20pm
Both those radios are made by reputable companies who have supplied equipment to amateurs for many years. Compare the features and prices and then decide. 73, Bill, WA3CWA
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Commandery #35
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto
Quarryman
Quarryman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dustoff-00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2016 at 9:22pm
Thanks Brother Bill. I guess it comes down to having a radio to grow as my license grows, or sticking with 2m,70cm plus a D-Star.  Although the 5100A has some nice options, I think I'm going with the FT-857D. Way more growth....

I guess I can buy something later to mess with the D-Star (or Fusion) side later. 73, Paul.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic