Print Page | Close Window

Horoscope - what's your sign??

Printed From: Mastermason.com Forums
Category: Forum Lounge (off-topic & lighter discussions)
Forum Name: Hobbies & Special Interests
Forum Description: Hobby Central
URL: http://forum.mastermason.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12583
Printed Date: March/28/2024 at 10:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Horoscope - what's your sign??
Posted By: GrimoireA3
Subject: Horoscope - what's your sign??
Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 9:44am
I'm a March/Pisces. Which differs from a February/Pisces.

My Chinese Zodiac sign is Rooster.

So what's your sign?

-------------
Please Note: I am not a Mason. And also, I am not an anti-Mason!

Replies:
Posted By: coach
Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 11:11am
I was born under the sign of confusion.

-------------
Building Builders - Masonic Education!

http://www.coach.net/BuildingBuilders.htm" rel="nofollow - Books I Wrote | http://www.facebook.com/johns.nagy" rel="nofollow - My FB Wall

Posted By: Adept?
Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 2:05pm
It makes no difference.  It's superstitious nonsense.... just like... well, best to just leave it at that.

I do not participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun's apparent position relative to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.  
These beliefs, much like others that I'll not mention, are silly stories thought up, and spread by people that didn't know that the earth is a sphere, nor did they know that it orbits the sun, nor could they comprehend what the sun is.  These people thought that the earth was the center of our universe.  LOL!  Not only do we know that that isn't true, but we also know that our sun, and our tiny little solar system that orbits around it, is not even the center of our own galaxy.  Which is just one of hundreds of billions of galaxies in the known universe.

I find this topic laughable... but to answer the question it poses in the title... MY sign, is peace.  

-------------
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."

Posted By: Sec'yBob
Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 2:06pm
HI come here often,  what 's your sign

-------------
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient

Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Sec'yBob Sec'yBob wrote:

HI come here often,  what 's your sign

THIS IS ALL THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.../G\

-------------

http://www.coach.net/BuildingBuilders.htm" rel="nofollow - Books I Wrote | http://www.facebook.com/johns.nagy" rel="nofollow - My FB Wall

Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 2:33pm
what about ∟ , , and ||  lol! Wink

-------------
"It is humanity that creates god, and men think that god has made them in his image, because they make him in theirs."

Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Adept? Adept? wrote:

what about
∟ , , and ||<b style="font-size: large;">  lol! Wink

or |O|

-------------

Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 5:11pm

These beliefs, much like others that I'll not mention, are silly stories thought up, and spread by people that didn't know that the earth is a sphere,

Whaddaya mean? A sphere? No, No, nooooooooooo.

Are you saying all that money in dues I shelled out to the Flat Earth Society these past decades was wasted???

-------------

Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by GrimoireA3 GrimoireA3 wrote:

Are you saying all that money in dues I shelled out to the Flat Earth Society these past decades was wasted???

indeed.  every cent.  Wacko

-------------

Posted By: droche
Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 9:24pm

It makes no difference.  It's superstitious nonsense.... just like... well, best to just leave it at that.

I do not participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun's apparent position relative to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.  
These beliefs, much like others that I'll not mention, are silly stories thought up, and spread by people that didn't know that the earth is a sphere, nor did they know that it orbits the sun, nor could they comprehend what the sun is.  These people thought that the earth was the center of our universe.  LOL!  Not only do we know that that isn't true, but we also know that our sun, and our tiny little solar system that orbits around it, is not even the center of our own galaxy.  Which is just one of hundreds of billions of galaxies in the known universe.

I find this topic laughable... but to answer the question it poses in the title... MY sign, is peace.  

Actually, the earth is  the center of the universe. As is every other point in the universe. That being said, I don't believe in astrology either.

Date Posted: May/06/2016 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by droche droche wrote:

Actually, the earth is the center of the universe. As is every other point in the universe.

Umm .... What??? I'm sorry, but you'll have to explain that one...

-------------

Date Posted: May/07/2016 at 6:01am

Actually, the earth is the center of the universe. As is every other point in the universe.

Umm .... What??? I'm sorry, but you'll have to explain that one...

I think droche's Geocentric model was intended to emphasize the importance of man's place in the universe.

As the Sophists claimed in Ancient Greece: 'man is the measure of all things' (and which Socrates vehemently disagreed).

Or man's importance as described by Freemason poet Alexander Pope: "Know then thyself, presume not God to scan. The proper study of Mankind is man."

Actually I think the horoscope knows more about men than either the Sophists or Alexander Pope.

-------------

Date Posted: May/07/2016 at 6:43am
Originally posted by grimoireA3 grimoireA3 wrote:

...the importance of man's place in the universe.

.... 'man is the measure of all things..

I have to disagree with both these theories. Given the vastness of our universe, I tend to believe that mankind is incredibly insignificant in it. I have no doubt that if the earth were destroyed today, our galaxy, and the universe as a whole, would be largely unaffected. I also think that the belief that the universe and our planet were created specifically for mankind is not only erroneous, but incredibly arrogant considering that we are not even capable of exploration beyond our own solar system. There could be any number of other civilizations on other planets, in other galaxies throughout the universe whos intelligence is equal to or greater than ours. Yet we can not reach them, nor they us, for one to discover the other. The possibilities are quite literally endless.

-------------

Date Posted: May/07/2016 at 8:38am
The answer is quite simple and quite physical, not having anything to do with philosophy. The universe is like the surface of a sphere. Every point on the sphere is the center of the sphere.  

Date Posted: May/07/2016 at 8:42am

The answer is quite simple and quite physical, not having anything to do with philosophy. The universe is like the surface of a sphere. Every point on the sphere is the center of the sphere.  

Yes, there is a view of the entire universe held by both astronomy and cosmology that the universe is so very VAST that no matter at what point you are located, you are at the center.

-------------

Date Posted: May/07/2016 at 8:52am

Originally posted by grimoireA3 grimoireA3 wrote:

...the importance of man's place in the universe.

.... 'man is the measure of all things..

I have to disagree with both these theories. Given the vastness of our universe, I tend to believe that mankind is incredibly insignificant in it. I have no doubt that if the earth were destroyed today, our galaxy, and the universe as a whole, would be largely unaffected. I also think that the belief that the universe and our planet were created specifically for mankind is not only erroneous, but incredibly arrogant considering that we are not even capable of exploration beyond our own solar system. There could be any number of other civilizations on other planets, in other galaxies throughout the universe whos intelligence is equal to or greater than ours. Yet we can not reach them, nor they us, for one to discover the other. The possibilities are quite literally endless.

I like this answer, though I disagree with just a single point.

That man is the measure of all things was a point of view held by the Greek 'Sophists' (and modern lawyers) and disputed by Socrates. I agree with Socrates that man is not the measure of all things. God is the measure of all things (or the Great Author of the Universe - I say 'author' because I like to write).

But I do believe that man has a very important place in the universe. Not because the universe was specifically made for mankind - it wasn't. But because man has achieved Consciousness. And with this Consciousness man is beginning to carve out his niche in the cosmos. And man is aware of his own consciousness, and develops it. So far in the know universe, nothing else has achieved consciousness. Stars, asteroids, novas, super-novas, planets, etc. etc. are not conscious. But man is conscious, and is just beginning to make his mark on the cosmos. And that is why I think humans have an important place in the universe.

Until other life is discovered and verified in the universe, only man and God, so far, exist. So regardless how vast the universe is, man, and his consciousness, is a very significant presence.

-------------

Date Posted: May/07/2016 at 8:55am
To bring the topic back to the topic, there may be something to astrology. A lot of teachers and police officers will tell you from experience that there is a spike in bizarre behaviors just before during and after a full moon. Having grown up on the Bay of Fundy where the highest tides in the world occur, I have seen the powerful effect the gravity of the moon has on the earth. It seems perfectly plausible (notice I said plausible, not definite) to me that the gravitational effects of the moon and planets might have an effect on humans and animals. A lot more research would need to be done but I am not if favor of it since I think we have a lot better things to do. That is not to say that I believe all these horoscopes and all that stuff, I just think we shouldn't dismiss all of astrology out of hand. There is usually some element of truth in everything. 

Date Posted: May/09/2016 at 9:37am

what about
∟ , , and ||<b style="font-size: large;">  lol! Wink

Hi Adept?,

HOLY COW, these signs reminded me of something: I thought your signature at the bottom of your forum page sounded familiar.

"As the Lord and Father has fashioned eternal Gods to be like himself, so man has modeled his own deities according to the likeness of his own countenance." from 'The Writings of Hermes, the Egyptian, called Trismegistus' by Asclepius (translated into Latin by Apuleius).

Also, please read: 'The God of Socrates' by Apuleius of Madaura.

I think Hermes Trismegistus was a Gemini?

-------------

Date Posted: May/09/2016 at 9:53am

To bring the topic back to the topic, there may be something to astrology. A lot of teachers and police officers will tell you from experience that there is a spike in bizarre behaviors just before during and after a full moon. Having grown up on the Bay of Fundy where the highest tides in the world occur, I have seen the powerful effect the gravity of the moon has on the earth. It seems perfectly plausible (notice I said plausible, not definite) to me that the gravitational effects of the moon and planets might have an effect on humans and animals. A lot more research would need to be done but I am not if favor of it since I think we have a lot better things to do. That is not to say that I believe all these horoscopes and all that stuff, I just think we shouldn't dismiss all of astrology out of hand. There is usually some element of truth in everything. 

Hi droche,

Thank you for trying to bring this thread back on track.

I agree with you: I know history has given examples of how celestial bodies have allegedly affected human behavior. The 'lunatic' was the mentally ill supposedly being agitated by the lunar light of the full moon. In emergency rooms, nurses post a 'full moon alert' because of the noticible increase in traumatic activity whenever the moon is full.

Astrology should not be dismissed totally out of hand since it does seem to contain some accurate personality descriptions. My Zodiac sign: Pisces, is spot on with a lot of my personality and traits, but I don't know about predicting the future.

So what's your sign?

-------------

Date Posted: May/09/2016 at 10:49am
...good grief...  ConfusedWacko

-------------

Date Posted: May/09/2016 at 1:55pm

...good grief...  ConfusedWacko

What?

-------------

Date Posted: May/10/2016 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by GrimoireA3 GrimoireA3 wrote:

So what's your sign?

I am a Scorpio, but I don't put much credence in that. I think most of the stuff written about each sign is written in such a way that one can look at any sign and find traits they have and fit themselves into that sign.

My belief in astrology is pretty much limited to what I've stated previous- I thinks it's plausible that the effects of the gravitational pull other heavenly bodies have on the earth might have a minor influence on human and animal behavior, but that's about the extent of it.

Date Posted: May/10/2016 at 3:06pm

I thinks it's plausible that the effects of the gravitational pull other heavenly bodies have on the earth might have a minor influence on human and animal behavior, but that's about the extent of it.

Agreed. But it does have an effect regardless of how minimal.

-------------

Date Posted: May/10/2016 at 7:09pm
The moons gravitational pull, and it's effects on the planet have nothing to do with astrology.

-------------

Date Posted: May/11/2016 at 6:38am
Well, I'm not expert on astrology by any stretch of the imagination, but my understanding of astrology is basically the positions of heavenly bodies determines ones character traits at birth and ones behavior at any given time. If that is accurate, then the effect of the gravity of the moon and other planets on the earth would be affected by their position relative to.earth, so I think there would be some relationship to astrology.

Date Posted: May/11/2016 at 8:47am

The moons gravitational pull, and it's effects on the planet have nothing to do with astrology.

Apparently, the moon is very much a part of Astrology:

https://cafeastrology.com/moon.html

There seems to be a whole aspect of astrology devoted to the moon as attested by astrologers.

-------------

Date Posted: May/11/2016 at 2:18pm
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about astrological signs, horoscopes, and whatnot...  anyway.

With the onset of the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_revolution" rel="nofollow - scientific revolution  astrology was called into question; it has been challenged successfully both on  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory" rel="nofollow - theoretical  and  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiment" rel="nofollow - experimental  grounds, and has been shown to have NO scientific validity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology#cite_note-Cosmic-6" rel="nofollow - [6]  or  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explanatory_power" rel="nofollow - explanatory power . Astrology thus lost its academic and theoretical standing, and common belief in astrology has largely declined. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology#cite_note-Brit-12" rel="nofollow - [12]  Astrology is now recognized to be  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscience" rel="nofollow - pseudoscience .

-------------

Date Posted: May/11/2016 at 3:09pm
I agree. In my previous posts I think I have been very clear that I don't buy into astrology as a whole, but believe that one aspect of planetary positions might have an effect on human and animal behavior. This would be a very tiny aspect of astrology. 

Date Posted: May/11/2016 at 5:02pm

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about astrological signs, horoscopes, and whatnot...

Yes, and the Moon is part of all that.

And no one has said that horoscopes or astrology was valid.

All I asked was, What's your sign?

So Adept?, what's your sign?

-------------

Date Posted: May/11/2016 at 10:46pm
I have many, but the only relevant one that I'm allowed to tell you (a non-Freemason) is peace.

-------------

Date Posted: May/12/2016 at 4:59am

I have many, but the only relevant one that I'm allowed to tell you (a non-Freemason) is peace.

O.K., gotcha. Understood. Thank you. Peace to you too!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net