Forum Description: Open to all topics of Masonic Discussion
URL: http://forum.mastermason.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12667
Printed Date: March/28/2024 at 10:09am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Masonic Education talks
Posted By: log cabin Bill
Subject: Masonic Education talks
Date Posted: January/17/2018 at 7:53am
Here in Pennsylvania, our new Grand Master has decreed that there be a Masonic Education talk at every regular monthly meeting of our lodges. I have been giving such short talks at my lodge since Jan. 2013. Do you or does anybody in your lodge present short talks for Masonic Education? If you do, I would be interested in hearing from you and possibly sharing topics on this subject. All my talks are short and all take well under 10 minutes, with most being 5 minutes or less. (I don't want to bore anybody!). I frequently receive compliments on my subject matter and my delivery skills as I am a retired broadcast announcer.

-------------
North Hills Lodge, #716,PM
Allegheny RAM,#217,PHP
Allegheny Council,#38,PTIM
Allegheny Commandery #35
Knight Masons,Gateway To The West Council #5
AASR,Valley of Pgh.
Syria Shrine
Islam Grotto

Replies:
Posted By: rchadwic
Date Posted: January/17/2018 at 3:40pm
Interesting.... I'll pass this to our new WM, who's big in Masonic Education. Thanks, and may 2018 be kind to you.

-------------
Bob Chadwick
Palm Bay #397
Palm Bay, Fla

Posted By: edwmax
Date Posted: January/17/2018 at 7:31pm
I've written several papers for our Lodge of Research.    And, to our Worshipful Master, I will be offering to present these during the year to the Lodge.

suggested topics:

1. Duties of the Junior Warden:     The JW states his duties are to call the Craft from Labor to refreshment and superintend them during the hours of refreshments.     .... So what does this intel?
 Duties of the Stewarts?    .... Keepers of the House ...

2.   The Compass is stated to be one of the three Great Lights of Freemasonry and is on the Holy Altar, but is not included as one of the Working Tools of a Mason.   Why?    ... Some Master Masons have stated the Compasses are to be used to circumscribe & set their boundaries.    But that is not correct. Why?

3.  How Old is Freemasonry?   What is the oldest references of Masonry (aka: Freemasonry)?   What is the significance of the Obelisk known as Cleopatra's needle and now stands in Central Park, New York City?

4.   Where is the Plumb Line in the Lodge?     Mason meet on the Level (Floor of the Lodge) and Act by the Plumb.   

Some of this I have discussed here on the forum in the past.

-------------
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369

Posted By: Sec'yBob
Date Posted: January/17/2018 at 10:06pm
I have been giving talks on Masonic Education for about 6 years now.

I do some long presentations by special request, like at family night dinners etc. I also do short ones at regular meetings. Most guys seem very interested and enjoy the talks.

It adds a little pizzaz to a meeting and the guys like learning things about our fraternity.

I have covered topics like Masonry and the revolutionary war, the civil war, the knights Templar, Roslyn chapel and others.

Hope this helps

-------------
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
Missouri Lodge of Research
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3
Legion of Honor recipient

Date Posted: January/19/2018 at 9:19am
I might add another thought to this topic.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but I watch with great interest and fervor, the program Oak Island.

I know it is a reality show and they only show you want they want you to see, but it is interesting. And you can pick up other bits from the internet on the same topic.

I do believe they will find not only some "treasure" but links to the Knights Templar as well. They have already found some small links and items that is heading them in that direction.

-------------
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3

Posted By: De Darrah
Date Posted: January/19/2018 at 10:21am
Yeah, I've been watching Oak Island too, they do keep coming back to the Templars.  I am wondering just how much of the information on the treasure will be revealed.  For all we know they already they may have found it.

-------------
De
Past Matron New Hope Ch. #117 OES
PWHP Palm Shrine No.32 now Alchor #27 WSOJ
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.

As Brother Ben F. said
"In Wine there is Wisdom
In Beer there is Freedom
In Water there is Bacteria"
<

Date Posted: January/20/2018 at 9:04am
Well it is a reality show, and most of those are programmed/directed to serve a purpose, that of making money.

I realize they only show you want they want you to see.

But they have found some interesting items thus far.

Last episode, they found a lead crucifix with a looped head, like those of the Templars, it was found on the beach.

I admit, they have me hooked, I will continue to watch to see what comes.

It may make an interesting topic for a presentation in Lodge.

-------------
Raised 2001
PM Crestwood-Anchor #443
PM Meramec #313 X3
Past DDGM Dist #24
Lodge Education Officer
O.E.S. Chapter 129 WP X3

Posted By: edwmax
Date Posted: January/21/2018 at 2:38pm
Almost certainly it was planted.   I'm sure people have already been over the beaches with metal detectors.

-------------
"He who would assume to govern others must first learn to govern himself."

Thomasville 369

Posted By: De Darrah
Date Posted: January/21/2018 at 7:19pm
Lets not get to pessimistic after all we  had several nasty storms last year.  All kinds of things could have been washed to the surface along the shore, or items could have been washed down from inland to the shore.  Don't forget the road was washed out and had to be rebuilt this year.  They only show what is interesting to the show, I am sure there is plenty of trash found that is not shown, they need to keep us watching to make money to continue working.  Wink

-------------
De
Past Matron New Hope Ch. #117 OES
PWHP Palm Shrine No.32 now Alchor #27 WSOJ
Y.B.Y.S.A.I.A.

As Brother Ben F. said
"In Wine there is Wisdom
In Beer there is Freedom
In Water there is Bacteria"
<

Posted By: droche
Date Posted: January/21/2018 at 9:56pm
I have been pushing for a similar thing at our regular meetings and at the last past master's meeting there was some enthusiasm to begin such talks in our lodge. I hope it comes to pass. The lodge I visit in New Brunswick does it and it seems to be well received by members.

Speaking of New Brunswick- when I was growing up, speculation was that Captain Kidd's treasure was buried at Oak Island. There was also a rumor that part of it was buried on my great-grandfather's property in New Brunswick. In the early part of the 20th century, people would come from time to time seeking permission from him to dig in the area they thought it was. Supposedly, there was a rock on the beach that had some secret code on it that gave clues to where the treasure was. One of my great-uncle's would rush to the beach, cover the rock with a sheet and charge people a dime to look at it. I also remember as a kid when two people, a father and son if I remember right, drowned when an excavation on Oak Island flooded when the tide came in. This Knights Templar angle on Oak Island only came about 25 or so years ago when stuff about them became sensationalized. I don't put much credence in it but who knows. I watched one episode of the Oak Island series and it impressed me as more sensationalism and dramatization, but again, I didn't delve into it that much.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net